CLAS + Protector or Fostex HPP1 for JH13s?
Oct 26, 2011 at 2:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

edwardsean

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi, 

I'm trying to decide between these two rigs, CLAS + Protector or Fostex HPP1, for JH13s. It seems that the DAC sections are comparable but I hear differing impressions of the amp on the HPP1. I already own a Protector which I like quite a lot in balanced mode. However, the single package approach of the HPP1 is attractive and I'm sure its internal amp can comfortably drive the JH13s. In the end, if the CLAS + Protector provides the best SQ, I would rather go that route. If the amp sections are comparable for IEM drive levels, I would prefer a single unit. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, 

Edward

Oct 26, 2011 at 5:07 AM Post #2 of 7
From what I've read the Fostex provides very mixed results with balanced armature IEMs and the amp section is quite average. I'm getting customs at some point and will be getting the CLAS unless the iBasso device that's supposed to be coming out next year is better. The all-in-one of the Fostex is appealing but it seems to be better to choose your own amp which has good synergy with your IEMs and offers you more flexibility long-term.

Oct 26, 2011 at 6:16 AM Post #3 of 7

Quote:
Hi, 

I'm trying to decide between these two rigs, CLAS + Protector or Fostex HPP1, for JH13s. It seems that the DAC sections are comparable but I hear differing impressions of the amp on the HPP1. I already own a Protector which I like quite a lot in balanced mode. However, the single package approach of the HPP1 is attractive and I'm sure its internal amp can comfortably drive the JH13s. In the end, if the CLAS + Protector provides the best SQ, I would rather go that route. If the amp sections are comparable for IEM drive levels, I would prefer a single unit. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, 

Edward

Hi Edward,

I just got the HP-P1, and comparing with my CLAS + Continental, I prefer the music coming out from the CLAS combo.   The sound from the HP-P1 is a bit more analytical and detail, which is not really bad, but i prefer something a little more musical, warmer and less fatigue.    For pop and rock, i guess Hp-p1 may be better, but generally i prefer the CLAS combo.   I am using JH16pro in my listening.    

With the CLAS + SR-71B balanced out to my JH-16pro also yield better results.   music is tighter and separation is a bit better than single-out.     I guess CLAS give you the flexibility to try different amp as well.

Interestingly, when i use line-out of HP-P1 to my Sr-71B, frankly the sound is slightly better than CLAS.    Guess the DAC section is not too bad.   Trying different tracks also show that the line-out is slightly better than CLAS.

Will do more listening, but generally these are my early impressions.    Hope it helps, and not confuse :)

Oct 26, 2011 at 5:16 PM Post #4 of 7
Evolutionx, 

Hi. Thanks so much for your impressions. That completely makes sense and is the kind of helpful information that i was looking for. Could you tell me between HPP1 and the CLAS+SR71B which has the larger sound stage?

Oct 31, 2011 at 5:58 AM Post #5 of 7
Hi Edward, sorry for late reply as i was oversea.  I need further listening before i can accurately comment but 1st impression definitely CLAS + SR71B provide better soundstage.    Also, depend on the iem or headphone you are using.   Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back