Clarity Upgrade from the Panasonic HJE 900 (<$220)
Jun 26, 2011 at 6:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

fish3191

Head-Fier
I have had the Panasonic HJE 900's for about 2 years now.  I lost one pair after a year and a half and then got another but had to send it in another because of faulty connections.  I loved the CZ's, but am looking to see if anyone has any recommendations on a different IEM hopefully less than 200.  I may go a little higher though.  I loved the bass in the CZ's but I was wondering if there was another IEM that has some of the same qualities, but more clear and strengthened mids.  Does anyone have a suggestion for a nice IEM ~$200 or less that has awesome clarity as well as a warm and decently large soundstage?  Please let me know.

What I'm looking for: (step up from the Panasonic CZ's)
Clarity (more clear and profound mids)
Warm and Decently Large Soundstage
Decent Bass (More the better)

Music I listen to: 
Whole Spectrum of Rock
Rap and R&B

Thanks in advance,
Fish3191

Jun 26, 2011 at 11:38 PM Post #2 of 20
I went from the HJE900's to the VSonic GR07 (~$150-160). I'd say it hits up 2 of your three criteria as a solid upgrade. I'm writing up a little A/B comparison but without getting too much into it, I upgraded mainly for soundstage, which makes the CZ's, while having good depth, seem almost 2D. What I got as a pleasant surprise is clarity, which I never thought about, and could not even imagine at this level just going by the Panasonics.

About your third criteria, the bass, there's more quantity with the Panasonics. The GR07's can be intense when called for, but won't shake your head as much as the CZ's which do it every chance they get. But the VSonic's can be delicate in the low end in a way I never experienced with the CZ's., Texture across the board is excellent which helps you feel the music in the GR07's, as does the good low end extension. Think of the bass of the HJE900's as a double espresso and the GR07's as a really good cappuccino.

In the end though, it's a really different sound signature. The GR07 presentation and clarity are really addictive, and being sensitive to certain higher middle frequency's at high volume levels, I don't miss that part of the HJE900's. What I do miss a bit is the raw emotion in mainly female vocals that come with the harshness at those frequencies, kind of a double edged sword for me =/. The GR07's seat you a few rows back for most vocals and are definitely not harsh while still being really crisp and clear.

As far as the music you listen to on the GR07's, I have absolutely no problems with the rock and metal I've run through them. Guitar textures are great. Male vocals are pretty solid. Presentation is generally spacious, like being at a live show. Rap and Hip Hop, I don't get the same midbass rumble on many tracks in my collection as my CZ's, but the thump is most certainly there and I can confirm that listening to some EDM which they are absolutely great for.

I think you'd be missing out if you didn't at the least read some reviews that can more technically describe their sound quality and signature.

Jun 27, 2011 at 5:51 PM Post #4 of 20
Thanks for the suggestions.  I would like to have a decent bass, but it definitely is the least important of the things I am looking for.  Clarity and soundstage are definitely the most important.  I just dont want a nonexistant bass when I am listening to rap and rock.  I also am not a huge fan of IEMs that only go around the ear and would rather prefer ones without so that may eliminate the EX600.  Any more ideas?

Thanks

Jun 27, 2011 at 6:48 PM Post #5 of 20
how about ortofon e-Q5 as it is among most transparent IEMs I have ever heard, another option is DBA02 which is priced lower but it isnt so clear sounding as the ortos

Jun 27, 2011 at 11:38 PM Post #6 of 20

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions.  I would like to have a decent bass, but it definitely is the least important of the things I am looking for.  Clarity and soundstage are definitely the most important.  I just dont want a nonexistant bass when I am listening to rap and rock.  I also am not a huge fan of IEMs that only go around the ear and would rather prefer ones without so that may eliminate the EX600.  Any more ideas?

Thanks

That would pretty much eliminate the GR07's too. hmmm... maybe look into the JVC FX500's?

Jun 28, 2011 at 12:53 AM Post #7 of 20
I checked out the fx500's and i may go with them.  I was also told to check out the monster turbine pro coppers.  What would be a better, The JVC fx500 or the Monster turbine pro copper?

Jun 28, 2011 at 2:47 AM Post #8 of 20
FX500s are technically better than the Coppers imo, hell even better than MDs. Isolation isn't that great though since they sound best with a shallow seal, so that's something to consider. Regardless of that, it fits all the criteria and is a really great direct upgrade from the HJE900s. 

Jun 28, 2011 at 10:23 AM Post #9 of 20
I will recommend to try JVC FX700, it shows great details in mids, highs and it has large soundstage with good imaging. It sound better in mids where FX500 is little muddy and highs are more smoother than FX500. I will also recommend these IEMs Radius DDM, EX700, MTP Gold, TF10Pro and ATH90Pro.

Jun 28, 2011 at 10:42 AM Post #10 of 20

Quote:
FX500s are technically better than the Coppers imo, hell even better than MDs. Isolation isn't that great though since they sound best with a shallow seal, so that's something to consider. Regardless of that, it fits all the criteria and is a really great direct upgrade from the HJE900s. 

How are the soundstage and the upper mids on the FX500's compared with the HJE900's? I had the HJE'900's and enjoyed them, female vocals and violins were kind of harsh but wonderfully intense, probably a sizable peak in the upper mids. They also just didn't have the soundstage width at all.

I love my GR07's but need something with less isolation for work. I think the boss is getting annoyed by having to tap me on the shoulder or wave his hands in front of my face all the time. Want something more energetic occasionally but with an equivalent soundstage. Also, hows it with leaking sound?

Sorry to overtake your thread but since we're still comparing to the HJE's, I'll hope its ok.

BTW, what's a good place to buy the FX500's, in or to the US?

Jun 28, 2011 at 7:56 PM Post #11 of 20
I will recommend to try JVC FX700, it shows great details in mids, highs and it has large soundstage with good imaging. It sound better in mids where FX500 is little muddy and highs are more smoother than FX500. I will also recommend these IEMs Radius DDM, EX700, MTP Gold, TF10Pro and ATH90Pro.

To me, the FX500s have clearer mids than the FX700s because there's less midbass bleed. The 700s do have a thicker and  slightly more forward lower midrange though.  FX500s probably have one of the clearest mids i've heard in a dynamic IEM but it is laid back like the FX700 to about the same extent. The problem is that you aren't suppose to get a deep fit with the FX500 (and 700s for that matter) because the bass then protrudes into the mids and makes it "muddy". The 700s actually suffer more from this than the 500s. DDM,Gold, CK90 are way out-of-line for a direct HJE900s upgrade as they don't resemble them much. 
How are the soundstage and the upper mids on the FX500's compared with the HJE900's? I had the HJE'900's and enjoyed them, female vocals and violins were kind of harsh but wonderfully intense, probably a sizable peak in the upper mids. They also just didn't have the soundstage width at all.

I love my GR07's but need something with less isolation for work. I think the boss is getting annoyed by having to tap me on the shoulder or wave his hands in front of my face all the time. Want something more energetic occasionally but with an equivalent soundstage. Also, hows it with leaking sound?

Sorry to overtake your thread but since we're still comparing to the HJE's, I'll hope its ok.

BTW, what's a good place to buy the FX500's, in or to the US?

Soundstage is a lot wider  on the 500s and placement of instruments is also more precise (even surpassing the GR07s in this). FX500s are probably THE iem to use for violins and female vocals will still have the "crunch" in the upper mids. Overall the FX500s actually resemble the HJE900s in the upper mids quite well, it actually has about the same energy with less harshness. The isolation is below average and leakage should be minimal as long as you don' listen at very high volume levels. 

Jzool and Seyo-Shop are good places to purchase the FX500s in the US. 

edit: just remember that these demand good care because of the housing. 

Jun 29, 2011 at 12:55 PM Post #12 of 20

Quote:
To me, the FX500s have clearer mids than the FX700s because there's less midbass bleed. The 700s do have a thicker and  slightly more forward lower midrange though.  FX500s probably have one of the clearest mids i've heard in a dynamic IEM but it is laid back like the FX700 to about the same extent. The problem is that you aren't suppose to get a deep fit with the FX500 (and 700s for that matter) because the bass then protrudes into the mids and makes it "muddy". The 700s actually suffer more from this than the 500s. DDM,Gold, CK90 are way out-of-line for a direct HJE900s upgrade as they don't resemble them much. 

Soundstage is a lot wider  on the 500s and placement of instruments is also more precise (even surpassing the GR07s in this). FX500s are probably THE iem to use for violins and female vocals will still have the "crunch" in the upper mids. Overall the FX500s actually resemble the HJE900s in the upper mids quite well, it actually has about the same energy with less harshness. The isolation is below average and leakage should be minimal as long as you don' listen at very high volume levels. 

Jzool and Seyo-Shop are good places to purchase the FX500s in the US. 

edit: just remember that these demand good care because of the housing.

Thank You!
These sound like exactly what I want. Are they ok at lower volumes?
Seyo-Shop seems to still be closed unfortunately, but Jzool looks like a decent price with free EMS shipping on them.

Care like don't don't just throw them into your bag or care like I'm going to have to buy special wood oil and massage them once a week? again, thanks.

Jun 29, 2011 at 2:08 PM Post #14 of 20
Well it's funny how two people can hear the same iems differently.

I bought the FX500 when I don't know which mod made a thread about it (well he had the UK FX1000 version, but same iems) and compared it favorably with the ie8 two years or so ago.
I was thinking that I would completely love it and I was disappointed to say the least...
I found the bass to be bloated, slow and intruding in the mids which had the effect of turning any "fast" music (electronica, metal...) into a muddy mess (even with a shallow insertion).
About the mids, they were so recessed the voices sounded tiny, like the singer was far away.
People were complaining about a hot treble but I was fine with it personally.
The soundstage had good width but it felt disconnected, it was not "enveloping"; depht was average.

Amazing timbre though (best I've heard in an iem).
I felt they were at their best with slow instrumental music.

Ultimately I sold them, they were not much of an all-rounder for me.

Jun 29, 2011 at 2:31 PM Post #15 of 20
Well there are batch differences, so that's something to consider. 

Bass is actually faster than the FX700s which aren't slow at all. 
There's less midbass bleed than the FX700s which again aren't that bad in this. 

mids are laid back and can sound thin because it doesn't have any added thickness coming from the bass. It's a very clear midrange though that's like that of the CKM99s and EX600s. 
Soundstage width is good no doubt, depth is just solid I agree

Users who are viewing this thread

Back