clarifications on the history of the Stax earspeaker line?
Jun 26, 2008 at 9:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

el_matt0

1000+ Head-Fier
Ive always been a bit confused by the stax earspeaker history. The lambda pros were released around '91, but were followed several years later by the lambda "nova" and the lambda nova signature? what differences were implemented with the introduction of the "nova" tag? and again, what changed when they introduced the nova signature as opposed to just the nova? The "novas" have much better soundstage precision/depth/placement that the earlier models, correct? Do the older vintage phones like lambda pros excel at anything that the novas/nova signatures dont do as well? Then my only other "followup" question, is with regards to where exactly the new current production sr303 and sr404 fit in. Are they just a continuation of the lambda nova signatures, with similar sound qualities? (ie are the new sr303 and sr404 more similar to the lambda nova/lambda nova signature, or are they closer in sound to the older vintage lambda pros?) Any clarifications/input would be very nice
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 27, 2008 at 6:38 AM Post #3 of 17
hehe ive seen that site forsure many times, it does leave some more information to be desired though if you know what i mean...
tongue.gif

Jun 27, 2008 at 6:54 AM Post #4 of 17
Presumably Stax would contend that the latest models are the best, representing their latest engineering knowledge of how to make these items. However in these columns you will find many enthusiasts who prefer certain older models to more recent designs.

As a case in point the old lambda signature (not to be confused with the current 404 which also carries the "signature description) is highly prized. If I remember correctly it was a very expensive item in its time so maybe it had some exceptional design features.

Since the lambdas are all similar in design, most differences in construction are due to changes in the construction of the transducers and cable. The 404 uses a low capacitance cable which it shares with the Omega and 4070.
Stax went through many cable changes over the years and I suspect that some of the sonic differences between different lambdas are attributable to this.

I am less knowledgeable about the Stax transducer designs. The current lambdas have a thinner diaphragm than all previous lambdas except I believe the old signature mentioned above.

I have 2 lambdas, a Nova and the 404. Both are fine phones but the 404 has a clear edge in bass, treble and detail. Some complain about an edgy sound to the lambda but often this is just an edginess in the source material or equipment coming through because these phones are very revealing. Over the years I have found several tweaks that seem to have largely overcome the problem, including Silclear contact enhancer.

Jun 27, 2008 at 3:09 PM Post #5 of 17
so to confirm, there IS a difference between lambda novas, and lambda nova signatures right? (presumably neither of which are very easy to get a hold of?)

Jun 27, 2008 at 4:07 PM Post #6 of 17
Let give you a bit of info, some of it might not be entirely correct but I am sure someone will correct if I am wrong:

Late 1970's

Original oval driver 2mc diaphragm, normal bias:

SR-Sigma and SR-Lambda

1980's

1.5mc Pro bias driver

SR-Lambda Pro

1mc Pro bias driver

SR-Sigma Pro and SR-Lambda Signature

1990's

1.35mc Pro bias driver

Lambda Spirit, Lambdas Nova (basic, classic, signature)

Late 1990's and now

1.35mc Pro bias driver

SR-202, SR-303, SR404 and 4070

The differences between basic and classic, signature phones are mostly batter cables, although SR-202 has a slightly different driver.

Also take a look here: Stax Earspeakers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jun 27, 2008 at 5:04 PM Post #7 of 17
thanks faust. So what exactly are the differences between a pro and a signature then? Both are the same bias voltage right, is it just better cables on the signatures? I'm referring to something like a lambda-pro versus a lambda nova signature. The nova's are all the brown housing instead of black like the older lambdas right, but where would the lambda pro fit in in terms of sound quality between the lambda nova basic, classic, and signature? And I recall someone saying that the new sr 404 have even a bit more bass and treble edge than any of the aforementioned cans?

Jun 27, 2008 at 5:27 PM Post #8 of 17
The Lambda Pro was released in 1982 and continued in production until at least 1992. Before the Nova line arrived Stax had a line up but no clear distnction between them except price so when the Nova's were introduced in 1994 there was a Basic, which replaced the Lambda Spirit, a Classic, which replaced the Lambda Pro and a Signature which replaced the old Sig model. The improvements were a new arc, new earpad materials and as always with the Lambdas, new driver design. The sound wasn't really a step in the right direction as they took the slightly up tempo sound of the older models and dulled it down into some audiophile garbage. Great headphones but give me the older Signature any day.

Jun 27, 2008 at 5:45 PM Post #9 of 17
ah, so a man that knows his stax.
biggrin.gif
thank you for the clarifications, that helps a lot. out of curiousity, ballpark how much would getting a used pair of lambda sigs (non novas, the older ones) cost you on the used market? just as a basis of comparison for the 200-300 you'd be able to get lambda-pro's for.

Jun 27, 2008 at 5:49 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by el_matt0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ah, so a man that knows his stax.
biggrin.gif
thank you for the clarifications, that helps a lot. out of curiousity, ballpark how much would getting a used pair of lambda sigs (non novas, the older ones) cost you on the used market? just as a basis of comparison for the 200-300 you'd be able to get lambda-pro's for.

The Signatures run in the area of 500$ for a set in good condition and they are well worth it as the best Lambda IMO. While they are great with just about any Stax amp they really shine off the more powerful amps.

Jun 27, 2008 at 6:05 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The sound wasn't really a step in the right direction as they took the slightly up tempo sound of the older models and dulled it down into some audiophile garbage. Great headphones but give me the older Signature any day.

It's interesting how opinions differ. I read many reviews that praise Nova Signatures for for mellow natural sound. I still really want to hear one to from my own opinion
frown.gif

Jun 27, 2008 at 6:25 PM Post #12 of 17
Interesting thread.
I did not know much about the Nova series myself.

Matt. You have an incoming SR-Lambda Pro you know. I suggest you settle with that one for now, and seek out other Stax 'phones somewhat later...
wink.gif

Jun 27, 2008 at 6:39 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting thread.
I did not know much about the Nova series myself.

Matt. You have an incoming SR-Lambda Pro you know. I suggest you settle with that one for now, and seek out other Stax 'phones somewhat later...
wink.gif

hehe yep i know, thats what i was looking to get too, seeing as its the phone ive tried before and loved.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 27, 2008 at 7:26 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Signatures run in the area of 500$ for a set in good condition and they are well worth it as the best Lambda IMO. While they are great with just about any Stax amp they really shine off the more powerful amps.

x2. I love my Sigs out of the 007t. Really just a sweet headphone. Expensive these days, but worth it. Better than just about any dynamic I have heard. Fanboy? Maybe....

Jun 27, 2008 at 7:46 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Faust2D /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's interesting how opinions differ. I read many reviews that praise Nova Signatures for for mellow natural sound. I still really want to hear one to from my own opinion
frown.gif

This is exactly why I gave up on the massive Lambda review as it was no problem to list in detail how the phones sound but that would only be one paragraph and I'm way too opinionated for any comparative reviews...
rolleyes.gif
We all have a sound which we like and to some it's the extra euphony of the HE90 or the superb musicality of the Stax Omega's. The same goes for the Lambdas as all of the TOTL models sound quite different from each other, ranging from mellow to quite melodramatic.

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2. I love my Sigs out of the 007t. Really just a sweet headphone. Expensive these days, but worth it. Better than just about any dynamic I have heard. Fanboy? Maybe....

FANBOY!!!!!!!!!!
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back