Clamp force: HD650 and HD600
Jun 29, 2013 at 7:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Seamless Sounds

Previously known as HeadFi Fanatic
Can anyone tell me what the clamp force is like on them (new)? I remember back in CanJam 2010, HD650 had a really good [vice] grip, but I'm not sure about the HD600. I have only tried them used. Is the HD600 anything like the HD650?

Jun 29, 2013 at 10:24 PM Post #2 of 20
I have a big head and neither of them are fatiguing to me.

Jun 29, 2013 at 11:27 PM Post #3 of 20
A lot of clamp force for new ones. A lot.

Jun 30, 2013 at 12:08 PM Post #4 of 20
Quote:

I really think that's quite inaccurate.  I've never had a single pair of sennheiser's have too much clamp force.  Is this a normal critique of the hd600s and hd650s because I haven't seen it.

Jun 30, 2013 at 2:34 PM Post #5 of 20
They are a little tight for me, but I have a large head. This can be taken care of by following the directions in this thread.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/438898/hd650-hd600-hd580-comfortable-uncomfortable-or-fractured

Jun 30, 2013 at 3:08 PM Post #6 of 20
Quote:
Quote:

I really think that's quite inaccurate.  I've never had a single pair of sennheiser's have too much clamp force.  Is this a normal critique of the hd600s and hd650s because I haven't seen it.

I bought the HD650's new, you cannot debunk an opinion.

Jun 30, 2013 at 4:36 PM Post #7 of 20
My head isn't big. I bought my HD600 used. Apparently the last person has a bigger head than me; it doesn't have a good grip. I decided to sell it and just buy it new so it conforms to my head. HD650 (new) wasn't too uncomfortable for me and I liked it, but I wanted to know if HD600 is anything like HD650. Good to know it has a good grip. It's almost impossible to reverse it once it's loosen over time.

Jun 30, 2013 at 4:43 PM Post #9 of 20

Agreed, but you didn't state it as such. you said they have a lot of clamp force as if it was a fact which is why I responded as I did. I'm not trying to start an argument, I just didn't want the OP to get inaccurate information.

P.S. No disrespect was meant in my previous post.

Jun 30, 2013 at 5:10 PM Post #10 of 20
Quote:
Quote:

Agreed, but you didn't state it as such. you said they have a lot of clamp force as if it was a fact which is why I responded as I did. I'm not trying to start an argument, I just didn't want the OP to get inaccurate information.

P.S. No disrespect was meant in my previous post.

Ah, yes, that is my mistake. You can never get a solid answer in audio. People need to know this!
size]

Jun 30, 2013 at 7:25 PM Post #11 of 20
Ah, yes, that is my mistake. You can never get a solid answer in audio. People need to know this!
size]

Is it common knowledge that the hd600 and hd650 have a heavy clamp force? Maybe I am just out of the loop on this?

Jun 30, 2013 at 8:19 PM Post #12 of 20
Jun 30, 2013 at 8:44 PM Post #13 of 20
Like all things in audio - it depends on the person - and what they've experienced previously.

My head is not what I'd call overly large - I'm 6ft - so ave to large guy.

I was coming from Beyers & ATs - so my first impression of the HD600 was noticeable and tight clamp.  So tight in fact - that I tried to gently expand the headband when I first got them.  Big mistake if you don't do it properly ....... CRACK/SNAP.

Anyway - I ordered a complete replacement headband - and this time, extended the extenders and very lightly bent just that part.  Pressure relieved slightly.  Now they are just pretty snug (compared to Beyers and AKG this time).

So - from my experience - yes they were clampy - but you can alleviate this if you are careful, and over time they do become more comfortable.

Jun 30, 2013 at 8:51 PM Post #14 of 20
I have a large head and I felt that brand new 650 have a heavy clamp force and I started to feel giddy after 30-45 minutes of continuous usage. That was the main reason I opted for Beyer DT880 abt 6-7 years ago. Recently I've been trying the HD800, 700 and Momentum (bought one) and seem like the new models from Sennheiser are super comfortable, making the comfort of 650 likes LCD2 in comparison :p
My last comparison is just a joke

Jun 30, 2013 at 11:46 PM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Oh my mistake then I wasn't aware of this.

Quote:
Like all things in audio - it depends on the person - and what they've experienced previously.

My head is not what I'd call overly large - I'm 6ft - so ave to large guy.

I was coming from Beyers & ATs - so my first impression of the HD600 was noticeable and tight clamp.  So tight in fact - that I tried to gently expand the headband when I first got them.  Big mistake if you don't do it properly ....... CRACK/SNAP.

Anyway - I ordered a complete replacement headband - and this time, extended the extenders and very lightly bent just that part.  Pressure relieved slightly.  Now they are just pretty snug (compared to Beyers and AKG this time).

So - from my experience - yes they were clampy - but you can alleviate this if you are careful, and over time they do become more comfortable.

So just to be clear you're referring to the HD600 cracking/snapping right?  Isn't the headband made out of carbon fiber?  If so I have a hard time believing you did this with your bare hands :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back