CK2III and Gamma2 Build Questions
Sep 13, 2010 at 6:38 PM Post #31 of 36
Well... I've tried several times now and still can't clear the hole.  Whatever is in there now just doesn't want to melt.  Is there any way to salvage this without clearing it?  Or am I stuck with buying a new board?

Sep 13, 2010 at 7:02 PM Post #32 of 36

Quote:
Well... I've tried several times now and still can't clear the hole.  Whatever is in there now just doesn't want to melt.  Is there any way to salvage this without clearing it?  Or am I stuck with buying a new board?

I have found that Chemtronic Chem-WiK Rosin SD works the best when I use it, which is not often anymore. I use the size .030. It works great every time unlike Radio Shack brand which doesn't always cut it. You might try applying some flux to your braid if you're using that.
Sometimes a hole will be stubborn to clean out, and it takes several tries to do the job right. Try adding some more flux if you have it, and starting over. I have had pretty good success sometimes with just filling the hole completely up with solder and then stick the braid on again. If you can, and your tip is small enough you can try to push the braid into the hole some and twist a bit. You gotta be careful because after so much the trace material will start to come loose from the board.

If nothing seems to work then I would be glad to clear it out for you, if you just wanted to stick it in the mail to me. I can turn it around to you same day, no charge of course. I use a Pace MBT-250 with SX-90 Sodr-X-tractor. I know it kinda defeats the diy spirit a little, and a new board isn't all that much, but you would then have to repopulate the whole thing again.

I wanted to say the other day when I read your previous posts, that sometimes when dealing with a ground connection I find it necessary to crank up the heat a little, because it seems the heat gets wicked away so quickly and easily.

Sep 14, 2010 at 12:13 AM Post #33 of 36
Cleaning out that hole is nothing a better soldering station can't fix.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 14, 2010 at 10:50 AM Post #34 of 36
Quote:
I have found that Chemtronic Chem-WiK Rosin SD works the best when I use it, which is not often anymore. I use the size .030. It works great every time unlike Radio Shack brand which doesn't always cut it. You might try applying some flux to your braid if you're using that.
Sometimes a hole will be stubborn to clean out, and it takes several tries to do the job right. Try adding some more flux if you have it, and starting over. I have had pretty good success sometimes with just filling the hole completely up with solder and then stick the braid on again. If you can, and your tip is small enough you can try to push the braid into the hole some and twist a bit. You gotta be careful because after so much the trace material will start to come loose from the board.

If nothing seems to work then I would be glad to clear it out for you, if you just wanted to stick it in the mail to me. I can turn it around to you same day, no charge of course. I use a Pace MBT-250 with SX-90 Sodr-X-tractor. I know it kinda defeats the diy spirit a little, and a new board isn't all that much, but you would then have to repopulate the whole thing again.

I wanted to say the other day when I read your previous posts, that sometimes when dealing with a ground connection I find it necessary to crank up the heat a little, because it seems the heat gets wicked away so quickly and easily.

The problem I'm running into is that it won't melt even when I hold the iron tip directly on it for several seconds.  I think I'm going to go ahead and order a new board.  Start off fresh, plus it gives me the excuse to order the case panels I had held off on initially.  Thankfully I hadn't populated the board at all except for the headers and receptacles to test the Gamma1 boards.  I really appreciate the offer though.

Edit: On another note, is it possible to resize a panel in FPE and keeping everything already on it centered based on their current relative positioning?  I got all the spacing for the holes right for the amp but realized I wanted the panel a bit bigger  Adjusting the height and width just extends the top and side, and trying to use the align/distribute function either shoves everything on the middle or spreads them out seemingly randomly.

Sep 14, 2010 at 4:21 PM Post #35 of 36

Quote:
 On another note, is it possible to resize a panel in FPE and keeping everything already on it centered based on their current relative positioning?

Click the set origin icon then push the 5 key on the numeric keypad (Num Lock on) to move the reference point to the center of the panel and then resize the panel.

Errr..... that doesn't work with the current software.

Select and group the objects.
Resize the panel and adjust the position of the group accordingly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back