Circum-Aural Headphones for $100 or less
Jan 14, 2012 at 11:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

3DGrace

New Head-Fier
I mostly listen to rock and rap. I don't want anything too bassy because rock music sounds awful on those kinds of headphones, but at the same time I don't want the bass to be too weak. Sound clarity is important to me. I can't really explain what I mean by that other than this: the really cheap headphones sound like all the instruments are just jumbled together whereas with good sound clarity you can make out each individual note of the different instruments and the sound is just crisp.

I was using the Maxell DHP-II headphones which I thought were amazing for the price, until the headband cracked for no apparent reason. Hopefully, I can find something a little more durable with some help.

Jan 14, 2012 at 11:27 PM Post #2 of 16

Quote:
I mostly listen to rock and rap. I don't want anything too bassy because rock music sounds awful on those kinds of headphones, but at the same time I don't want the bass to be too weak. Sound clarity is important to me. I can't really explain what I mean by that other than this: the really cheap headphones sound like all the instruments are just jumbled together whereas with good sound clarity you can make out each individual note of the different instruments and the sound is just crisp.

I was using the Maxell DHP-II headphones which I thought were amazing for the price, until the headband cracked for no apparent reason. Hopefully, I can find something a little more durable with some help.

The instruments sound jumbled together because the soundstage is so narrow the instrumental separation isn't able to compensate. What you want is a headphone with at least a decent soundstage and very good separation.

Jan 15, 2012 at 12:25 AM Post #5 of 16
The Sony V6 is nice, although on some people it is not fully circumaural. The Sony V900HD(7509HD) has more detail, but is around $155. The Sony Zx700 seems promising. I haven't heard it yet. It is around $120. The Sennheiser HD380 pro or AKG 240 studio, or HD558(open) might be closer to what you want, but those are around $150.

If you must stay under $100, the Sony V6 might be the best you can do, although the JVC HAM750 for just $40 on Amazon might be an even better value. There are many who like the Samson SR850($40 new on Ebay).

So I guess besides the V6 which is around $100, and the Koss Pro DJ100($80), you should either decide to spend around $150, or be frugal, and choose one of the $40 headphones I mentioned.

Jan 15, 2012 at 1:18 PM Post #7 of 16

Quote:
The Sony V6 is nice, although on some people it is not fully circumaural. The Sony V900HD(7509HD) has more detail, but is around $155. The Sony Zx700 seems promising. I haven't heard it yet. It is around $120. The Sennheiser HD380 pro or AKG 240 studio, or HD558(open) might be closer to what you want, but those are around $150.

If you must stay under $100, the Sony V6 might be the best you can do, although the JVC HAM750 for just $40 on Amazon might be an even better value. There are many who like the Samson SR850($40 new on Ebay).

So I guess besides the V6 which is around $100, and the Koss Pro DJ100($80), you should either decide to spend around $150, or be frugal, and choose one of the $40 headphones I mentioned.

Where are you getting these prices from? The V6 were much more than $100 on Amazon.

Jan 15, 2012 at 1:43 PM Post #8 of 16

Quote:

Where are you getting these prices from? The V6 were much more than $100 on Amazon.

http://www.shopblt.com/cgi-bin/shop/shop.cgi?action=enter&thispage=01100400U0262_BT50053P.shtml&order_id=!ORDERID!
I've ordered from BLT before and they are great. Only problem is they are on order and not in stock as of yet. They don't charge you until it ships.

BTW, nobody should ever pay more than $100 for a V6. I don't remeber a time in recent memory where you couldn't find them for ~$79 new and authorized.

Jan 15, 2012 at 3:10 PM Post #9 of 16
Jan 15, 2012 at 3:16 PM Post #10 of 16
The V6 was $65 a few months ago. Most dealers are sold out now. I hope in a few months the price comes back down. If you want it now though, I think $95 with free US shipping might be the best price from a reliable dealer. Beware of small dealers or sellers on Ebay, as there are fakes around.

Jan 15, 2012 at 4:10 PM Post #12 of 16
The V6 is more neutral. The V6 is a professional monitor headphone. The frequency response  of the V6 is very flat. The HAM750 has more bass. Some people describe the V6 as being boring since it is so neutral.

Jan 15, 2012 at 4:31 PM Post #13 of 16
The V6 is also extremely durable. My V6 is 23 years old and works fine. I just needed to replace the earpads.

Jan 15, 2012 at 5:07 PM Post #15 of 16
If you want a perfectly neutral headphone, then you will prefer the V6. If you like extra bass, then you would prefer the HAM750. The V6 is more durable, however the HAM750 is less than half the price. I guess they are probably both worth buying. The V6 might drop in price over the next few weeks, so if i wanted both, I would get the HAM750 first, then wait a few weeks to see if the V6 price drops. I guess the V6 price will probably drop in a few weeks, unless it is being discontinued. Even if it is discontinued, they probably won't discontinue the 7506 as well. The 7506 is the pro version of the V6. It has a slightly stronger magnet, and is said to be brighter and have less bass, while other claim it sounds the same, and the differences in test results were just a result of production line variations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back