Circum-Aural Headphones for $100 or less
Jan 15, 2012 at 5:59 PM Post #16 of 16

Quote:
I mostly listen to rock and rap. I don't want anything too bassy because rock music sounds awful on those kinds of headphones, but at the same time I don't want the bass to be too weak. Sound clarity is important to me. I can't really explain what I mean by that other than this: the really cheap headphones sound like all the instruments are just jumbled together whereas with good sound clarity you can make out each individual note of the different instruments and the sound is just crisp.

I was using the Maxell DHP-II headphones which I thought were amazing for the price, until the headband cracked for no apparent reason. Hopefully, I can find something a little more durable with some help.

Why do you say Rock sounds awful on headphones with a lot of bass? Rather, only good headphones with deep tight bass will sound good with rock...the loose muddy ones will be terrible. Rock loves excellent bass, especially if you listen to faster rock(I listen to 90% metal) and great highs. Clarity lets you hear things distinctly and a good sound stage separates instruments into where they were intended to be. Open headphones have an easier time giving you a better soundstage than closed ones. If you don't really need closed headphones, get open or semi-open ones.

Consider the Audio Technica ATH-A700. The open version of it is $20 less.
The V-MODA Crossfade LP get great reviews too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back