cIEMS for onstage monitoring for a singing bass player. move from ACS T1s?
Sep 18, 2013 at 7:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

HalfBakedPotato

100+ Head-Fier
Hi - I am currently using some ACS T1 lives with a Shure PSM900 system... and like many others, I'm getting a bit annoyed with the delay in the pack that will enable the ambient mics to work. The whole reason for me choosing that system in the first place was that ambient system and it's non appearance makes me feel like I've been conned a bit. When I bought the system well back, I was told the pack would be ready in a matter of weeks. This matter of weeks is now approaching a year. Whenever anybody asks about the pack, the result is "imminent" and has been for months. Now I don't want to start a slagging post against ACS as I feel they do actually sell a great product... however...

Given the word that this pack is going to be circa £400 (maybe even more to claw back the extra costs that will no doubt be added on top to the final price), I have started looking at IEMs in general again, as £400 seems quite steep to add this functionality. The final setup will be looking to be about £1100 quid - and at the moment, I have a monitoring system (without ambient option) which is sonically OK as opposed to great. (I play bass guitar so find the ACS bass response OK but not having the depth that I would really like - but as I say, it's OK - If I try and push the bass a bit more, it sounds as though the drivers aren't particularly happy so I have kept things on the safe size volume and eq wise). This makes me wonder, would something like the freqphase JH16s give me a better experience sonically? I know, that they won't give me that ambient thing that I was originally looking for - but I actually like the isolation now... and I get enough ambient sound through remote mics that I've implemented as a work around. The source I have is great - I have full outboard giving me compressors, reverbs,eqs - in fact everything I need, to give me that live CD sound in my ears at a comfortable volume.

Can anybody suggest what IEMs I should be looking at... what I think I want, is something at least as good as the ACS (I realise they may not be the best from an audiophile point of view) but with added bass response. This has what has led me to the JH16s... just wanted to know what you guys know given that I have very limited experience of CIEMs. If I am going to be spending a lot of money (again), I want to get the best for my needs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back