CIEM with Etymotic house sound
May 30, 2020 at 7:17 PM Post #16 of 36
Hi guys and girls,

I am a bit embarrassed to talk about "competitors" etc...

In a few words, how would you compare Lime Ears Model X from Pears SH3 ?
In terms of "speed" and isolation for instance ?

Pears SH3 have filled acrylic shells and not Lime Ears Model X. But I have the feeling that does not make much of a difference.
Lime Ears Model X seems to have a good reputation for its overall "speed", "sharpness" and resolution. What's about impact and emphasis in the low register etc compared to Pears SH3 ?

Thanks !

Last edited:
May 31, 2020 at 4:17 AM Post #17 of 36
Hi guys and girls,

I am a bit embarrassed to talk about "competitors" etc...

In a few words, how would you compare Lime Ears Model X from Pears SH3 ?
In terms of "speed" and isolation for instance ?

Pears SH3 have filled acrylic shells and not Lime Ears Model X. But I have the feeling that does not make much of a difference.
Lime Ears Model X seems to have a good reputation for its overall "speed", "sharpness" and resolution. What's about impact and emphasis in the low register etc compared to Pears SH3 ?

Thanks !

I’m actually heading down to Zeppelin & Co (carries Pears SH3) and Music Sanctuary (carries Lime Ears Model X) next week. Will give them a try and try my best to give you my two cents if you want :)

Jun 1, 2020 at 9:46 AM Post #18 of 36
Hello Sheeeeeway !!

> Zeppelin & Co and Music Sanctuary
< Oh how wonderful !
That 2 cents would be _very_ helpful !
There are so many reviews and different IEM models around that I have large difficulties choosing and comparing. I have been looking for "reference" CIEM since a while for working anywhere (composing and pre-mixing before studio) and I simply cannot decide myself.
I am well aware it is more important to listen to such IEM by myself. What I am after is not only a question of subjective taste but also a question of relative universal "monitoring" avoiding me changing everything in a mix afterwards. I get pretty good results with various headphones + proper EQing for now.

So my most interests in comparing Lime Ears Model X with Pears SH3 are:
- closest possible to Harman target curve or any other that is more or less fixed and that I know.
(- lowest distortion possible)
- largest possible extension (super low bass etc). How Pears SH3 basses (apparently quiet) are compared to Model X ?
- speed (sharpest possible transient both when there are trebles and bass) (also for my own pleasure; I am making computer music with millions of clicks etc)
- isolation and psychological feeling of comfort/quality(weight)/protection (Pears SH3 are filled with acrylic and Model X not)
- how are MMCX or 2-Pin ? 2-Pin look cheaper but MMCX may move/turn more.

These are my interests as a start !! :) Super interesting subjects... and how to implement all these questions in music.

Thank you very much !!

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2020 at 11:41 AM Post #19 of 36
Hello Sheeeeeway !!

> Zeppelin & Co and Music Sanctuary
< Oh how wonderful !
That 2 cents would be _very_ helpful !
There are so many reviews and different IEM models around that I have large difficulties choosing and comparing. I have been looking for "reference" CIEM since a while for working anywhere (composing and pre-mixing before studio) and I simply cannot decide myself.
I am well aware it is more important to listen to such IEM by myself. What I am after is not only a question of subjective taste but also a question of relative universal "monitoring" avoiding me changing everything in a mix afterwards. I get pretty good results with various headphones + proper EQing for now.

So my most interests in comparing Lime Ears Model X with Pears SH3 are:
- closest possible to Harman target curve or any other that is more or less fixed and that I know.
(- lowest distortion possible)
- largest possible extension (super low bass etc). How Pears SH3 basses (apparently quiet) are compared to Model X ?
- speed (sharpest possible transient both when there are trebles and bass) (also for my own pleasure; I am making computer music with millions of clicks etc)
- isolation and psychological feeling of comfort/quality(weight)/protection (Pears SH3 are filled with acrylic and Model X not)
- how are MMCX or 2-Pin ? 2-Pin look cheaper but MMCX may move/turn more.

These are my interests as a start !! :) Super interesting subjects... and how to implement all these questions in music.

Thank you very much !!

Might not be too soon cos of the whole covid-19 situation in Singapore but I’ll try to head down when possible!

I’m relatively new to the audiophile world so do bear with me if I am unable to analyze the sound of the Pears SH3 and the Lime Ears Model X but I’ll definitely try my best!

Will you be considering the UE Reference Remastered as well? One of the guys here recommends it and I believe it’s well known for it’s neutrality!

Using Crinacle's graph comparison tool, I did a comparison with the Tanchjim Oxygen which was perceived to have been tuned very closely to the Harman Target. Boy are they close! Now I understand your decision to close in on these two.

Attachments

• graph (1).png
    graph (1).png
    288.5 KB · Views: 0
  • graph.png
    graph.png
    281.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jun 1, 2020 at 2:52 PM Post #20 of 36
Thank you for your message !!! Very helpful.

Between us :wink: I also like over-ear closed headphone because they keep my ears, and cut me from outside and symbolically tells others I am working. It usually sounds less good than opened ones but I still like their "headphones sound", they are not speakers and more instruments by themselves. I often miss this closed, or non-existant, "stage" when listening to binaural recordings for instance. This is when Crinacle rating of flavors becomes interesting. This is why isolation is important for me sometimes.

But here is another story with ""technical"" CIEM:
Tanchjim Oxygen
: is not a custom IEM and isolation does not seem good enough for me.

UE Reference Remastered
: I listened to them and they miss air and _sparkle_ for what I wanna do. I would definitely have bought the previous version.

Not a problem if you do not have the opportunity. I will probably buy any of them pretty soon. I will here share what made my decision.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2020 at 7:00 PM Post #21 of 36
Just a little clarification, while the Harman target curve and thus “Harman-neutral” IEMs sound very good to a lot of people, and are well balanced, they are not neutral. The Etymotics, particularly the SE/SR versions are actually diffuse field neutral. The Lime Ears Model X and the Pears SH3 do look quite neutral with some slight boosted bass.

Jun 2, 2020 at 12:14 AM Post #22 of 36
Just a little clarification, while the Harman target curve and thus “Harman-neutral” IEMs sound very good to a lot of people, and are well balanced, they are not neutral. The Etymotics, particularly the SE/SR versions are actually diffuse field neutral. The Lime Ears Model X and the Pears SH3 do look quite neutral with some slight boosted bass.

Thanks for helping to clear things up! Did alittle research over the night and came to the realisation of the above.

I think that made me wonder if I should just get a pair of custom tips for my ER3SE

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2020 at 12:22 AM Post #23 of 36
Thank you for your message !!! Very helpful.

Between us :wink: I also like over-ear closed headphone because they keep my ears, and cut me from outside and symbolically tells others I am working. It usually sounds less good than opened ones but I still like their "headphones sound", they are not speakers and more instruments by themselves. I often miss this closed, or non-existant, "stage" when listening to binaural recordings for instance. This is when Crinacle rating of flavors becomes interesting. This is why isolation is important for me sometimes.

But here is another story with ""technical"" CIEM:
: is not a custom IEM and isolation does not seem good enough for me.

: I listened to them and they miss air and _sparkle_ for what I wanna do. I would definitely have bought the previous version.

Not a problem if you do not have the opportunity. I will probably buy any of them pretty soon. I will here share what made my decision.

I do have comfort issues with over-ear headphones as I have a big head and the pressure from the headphones tend to give me a headache after short period of listening.
I've always wanted to try the famous Sennheiser HD650s but never got around to it.

I do understand the superb isolation and comfort that CIEMs offer and I was using the Tanchjim Oxygen solely for it's tuning.

Would've loved to try the UERMs if I had the chance :frowning2:

I'll keep you posted!!

Jun 6, 2020 at 9:46 AM Post #24 of 36
Anyway just an update if anyone is following this thread and is also on the quest for an Etymotic-ish CIEM, I dropped by Jaben today and gave the UERR (IEMusic's recommendation) and the QDC 4CS (Staff's recommendation) a try.

Gotta say I was quite blown away by both, especially the QDC 4CS.
One word: Transparency.

As for the UERR, I did not feel that the highs lacked sparkle or air.
Probably because of personal preference.
QDC 4CS definitely had alittle bit more of the top end.

Might actually stretch my budget; the UERR being my cut-off mark!

Jun 6, 2020 at 11:20 AM Post #25 of 36
Anyway just an update if anyone is following this thread and is also on the quest for an Etymotic-ish CIEM, I dropped by Jaben today and gave the UERR (IEMusic's recommendation) and the QDC 4CS (Staff's recommendation) a try.

Gotta say I was quite blown away by both, especially the QDC 4CS.
One word: Transparency.

As for the UERR, I did not feel that the highs lacked sparkle or air.
Probably because of personal preference.
QDC 4CS definitely had alittle bit more of the top end.

Might actually stretch my budget; the UERR being my cut-off mark!

I don’t think you could go wrong with either of those 2. It’s really too bad that you can‘t try out the Fearless S6Pro, just to see what you can get for that price.

Jun 6, 2020 at 11:32 AM Post #26 of 36
I don’t think you could go wrong with either of those 2. It’s really too bad that you can‘t try out the Fearless S6Pro, just to see what you can get for that price.

I'm actually gonna grind my teeth and hold off my purchase till I've tried the Fearless! The shop that carries the Fearless Audio lineup here in Singapore might open end June so fingers crossed :D

Jun 6, 2020 at 11:56 AM Post #27 of 36
I'm actually gonna grind my teeth and hold off my purchase till I've tried the Fearless! The shop that carries the Fearless Audio lineup here in Singapore might open end June so fingers crossed :D
Painful wait, but worth it hopefully. If nothing else, to prevent any regret later on.

Jun 19, 2020 at 2:57 PM Post #29 of 36
Hey guys, just a little update on my hunt!
Managed to squeeze in some time to try out most of the ones that were mentioned in this thread.
Sadly QDC 4CS is out as it was too bassy for me and the mids are a small step back (preference for forward mids).

Fearless S6Pro was pretty neat with a nice flat sound signature. It had a much wider soundstage compared to my ER3SE and I think that was why notes sounded rather thin to me so that was out too.

The UERR had beautiful highs that extended well with no sibilance but it had a slight warmth to the overall sound so that was out too.

Tried a couple from the Hidition line up.
Firstly the NT1 which surprisingly is one of the ones that I’m considering at the moment. Impressive for a single BA setup and was probably the closest to the ER3SE out of the rest. It sounded more airy but the mids weren’t as forward as the ER3SE. Decided to try out the NT6, NTRM and the Viento.
The NT6 was analytical and had very forward mids similar to the ER3SE.
The NTRM was surprisingly coloured and not very reference-like despite being labelled as the Reference Monitor.
The Viento had 4 modes of tuning to it( A,B,C,D). A being the neutral setting which I did enjoy. Sounded like a more mature and refined version of the NT1.

Also checked out the Pears SH3 and the Lime Ears Model X but only had a couple of minites with them. I’m intending to head down again in the next couple of days when I do have more time to spare but currently I’d recommend the Hidition Viento over the Pears SH3 and the Lime Ears Model X.

With all that said (I hope I don’t bore anyone who’s reading this 😂), I’m leaning towards getting the Hidition NT1, getting a pair of custom sleeves for my ER3SE (and subsequently getting the ER4SR) or the Hidition Viento.
I’m not a sound engineer or someone who requires professional equipment so it’s hard to justify the jump from the NT1(SGD599) to the Viento (SGD1399) when they kinda sound the same to me.
I’ve used my iPod Touch Gen 1 and 2 with a LOD to my Fiio Q1 MkII for all my auditions with the iems listed above. Not the most refined DAP nor the best but just a simple setup that I do enjoy using.

Jun 19, 2020 at 3:25 PM Post #30 of 36
Hey guys, just a little update on my hunt!
Managed to squeeze in some time to try out most of the ones that were mentioned in this thread.
Sadly QDC 4CS is out as it was too bassy for me and the mids are a small step back (preference for forward mids).

Fearless S6Pro was pretty neat with a nice flat sound signature. It had a much wider soundstage compared to my ER3SE and I think that was why notes sounded rather thin to me so that was out too.

The UERR had beautiful highs that extended well with no sibilance but it had a slight warmth to the overall sound so that was out too.

Tried a couple from the Hidition line up.
Firstly the NT1 which surprisingly is one of the ones that I’m considering at the moment. Impressive for a single BA setup and was probably the closest to the ER3SE out of the rest. It sounded more airy but the mids weren’t as forward as the ER3SE. Decided to try out the NT6, NTRM and the Viento.
The NT6 was analytical and had very forward mids similar to the ER3SE.
The NTRM was surprisingly coloured and not very reference-like despite being labelled as the Reference Monitor.
The Viento had 4 modes of tuning to it( A,B,C,D). A being the neutral setting which I did enjoy. Sounded like a more mature and refined version of the NT1.

Also checked out the Pears SH3 and the Lime Ears Model X but only had a couple of minites with them. I’m intending to head down again in the next couple of days when I do have more time to spare but currently I’d recommend the Hidition Viento over the Pears SH3 and the Lime Ears Model X.

With all that said (I hope I don’t bore anyone who’s reading this 😂), I’m leaning towards getting the Hidition NT1, getting a pair of custom sleeves for my ER3SE (and subsequently getting the ER4SR) or the Hidition Viento.
I’m not a sound engineer or someone who requires professional equipment so it’s hard to justify the jump from the NT1(SGD599) to the Viento (SGD1399) when they kinda sound the same to me.
I’ve used my iPod Touch Gen 1 and 2 with a LOD to my Fiio Q1 MkII for all my auditions with the iems listed above. Not the most refined DAP nor the best but just a simple setup that I do enjoy using.
Thanks for the update on your search. The challenge is getting what you want in CIEM form, as there are several other potential candidates, but only come as UIEMs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back