CIEM vs Full Sized
Nov 19, 2014 at 7:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

potatoos

100+ Head-Fier
I am really hoping that someone can point me towards a comparison of the merits of ciems offer vs full sized cans and vice versa. I am considering getting a rather expensive upgrade at some point and am currently debating whether to go with the Alpha Dogs (don't really want opened) or something in the ciem market such as Alclair Reference Monitors or something along those lines. I've read in the past that the soundstage is much less impressive with ciems than with full sized, giving a much more "inside your head" feel, as well as that the Alpha Dogs have a great soundstage for a closed set of cans. So soundstage goes to full sized, but what about speed? Texture? Detail? (Comfort is very subjective, but I've heard great things about how comfortable ciems are) I am sure that there is going to be a large range within each category, but I would like someone to weigh in on what each offers.

Dec 11, 2014 at 1:42 PM Post #2 of 2
This is my understanding of the differences, and I could be completely wrong about this.  I think the main difference between CIEMs and full sized headphones at this point in technology is the the capacity to convey a convincing sense of sound-stage.  Full sized headphones are able to do this much more easily than CIEMs due to the space between the ears and the drivers, just as speakers can more easily do so than headphones (provided that the speakers are set up properly, which can be a daunting task for some).   Also I think CIEMS are limited in their ability to deliver a visceral bass impact compared to headphones, just as with headphones are limited relative to speakers.

What CIEMs excel in is is imaging and instrument separation as their small form factor allows them ease in delivering those two aspects with the greatest consistency.  Headphones also have an advantage over speakers as it's easier to get better consistency in the positioning of headphones than speakers. 

However with enough time and money invested it all comes down to preference and circumstance -- CIEMS for max portability, headphones for the happy medium between speakers and CIEMs, speakers for best immersion while being a huge monetary and time investment (including attention to detail of the room dimensions and such)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back