CIEM recommendations?
Aug 22, 2016 at 1:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

GRUMPYOLDGUY

1000+ Head-Fier
I'm looking around for a set of CIEMs.

I'm currently using the SE846 and noticing that the bass response colors the mid range a bit in a way that I don't particularly care for. Tried swapping out the filters... the treble with the white filters are too harsh, and the black filters exacerbate the problem I currently have. I've tried "modding" the blue filters by removing the dampening foam... but if I remove both pieces, I get the same harshness in the treble frequencies... Currently have just one piece of foam in each filter. It's good enough for now... but I'd really like a better solution.

My budget is under $2500 not including the cost of moldings, but am willing to go a reasonable amount over if needed. I'm looking for something with the best clarity/detail with a neutral sound. I would prefer something with a small enough profile that I can lay down with them in, but it's not absolutely required. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Aug 22, 2016 at 9:34 PM Post #2 of 9
I'm looking around for a set of CIEMs.

I'm currently using the SE846 and noticing that the bass response colors the mid range a bit in a way that I don't particularly care for. Tried swapping out the filters... the treble with the white filters are too harsh, and the black filters exacerbate the problem I currently have. I've tried "modding" the blue filters by removing the dampening foam... but if I remove both pieces, I get the same harshness in the treble frequencies... Currently have just one piece of foam in each filter. It's good enough for now... but I'd really like a better solution.

My budget is under $2500 not including the cost of moldings, but am willing to go a reasonable amount over if needed. I'm looking for something with the best clarity/detail with a neutral sound. I would prefer something with a small enough profile that I can lay down with them in, but it's not absolutely required. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
Empire Ears Zues they are the best I've heard. Not a IEM guy but these are tremendous. If clarity and soundstage is what your looking for then look no further. Heard the K10's and they don't come close. I heard them both at CanJam SoCal and if I had the money to spend and wanted the best the Zues would fit the bill hands down.

Aug 22, 2016 at 9:48 PM Post #3 of 9
The top contenders are certainly Zues, Spiral Ears SE-5, 64Audio ADEL A12. Some consider the JH Audio Layla to be one of the greatest IEMs around.

I'm using the Rhapsodio Solar, and it's pretty spectacular. JH Audio Angie is also wonderful.

Aug 23, 2016 at 10:05 AM Post #4 of 9
I've been looking at some of the JH audio offerings... I've read some not so good things about their customer service and that they released a new flagship so shortly after promising a recent release would be the flagship. These things make me hesitant to jump in, especially with the price point of the Laylas. Anything you could do to persuade me?

I looked at some of the other options as well. Noble Katana sounds like it's being marketed as a high end, neutral sounding IEM, but I haven't seen any reviews for it yet...

These will be my first CIEMs, and I'm not really sure what happens if the fit is off or something... So I think I'd prefer to avoid international orders (I'm in the US).

Sent from my E5803 using a highly trained, special forces carrier pigeon

Aug 23, 2016 at 10:41 AM Post #5 of 9
If the fit is off, all the major companies will re-shell free of charge.

I've never dealt with JH Audio's customer support, so I can't speak to that. My Angie is Universal.

I have had to send my Solar back for a refit, and that does get expensive when shipping over seas. In fact, I need to spend another $60 on shipping for my second refit. Hong Kong is such an awfully long distance to travel.

Still, if you're spending over $1500, shipping costs are nothing. Just buy the IEM you want, regardless of where it comes from. A good company, like Rhapsodio, sends it on swift wings.

Aug 25, 2016 at 2:56 PM Post #6 of 9
Good to know about the fit... The cost of shipping internationally is not as much of a concern as the nuisance of having to deal with long transit times and customs is.

Currently looking at the JH Roxanne... Does shell material make a difference is sound? Maybe resonance or something? Is there any benefit in getting a carbon fiber shell vs a Kevlar fiber shell vs a normal acrylic shell?

I'm worried about the size of the Layla... so not currently looking at that. But I will probably revisit it before actually purchasing whatever I decide on.

Any other suggestions? Any info about the Katana?

Oct 10, 2016 at 3:14 AM Post #8 of 9
Westone es60 are pretty amazing for 6 drivers and the price especially if you are or have been in the military.

Oct 10, 2016 at 3:43 AM Post #9 of 9
Empire Ears Zues they are the best I've heard. Not a IEM guy but these are tremendous. If clarity and soundstage is what your looking for then look no further. Heard the K10's and they don't come close. I heard them both at CanJam SoCal and if I had the money to spend and wanted the best the Zues would fit the bill hands down.

Do you know how the hermes athena compare to the k10?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back