CIEM recommendations?
Aug 11, 2013 at 11:21 PM Post #16 of 23
let's try not to have an argument about warranty. If I can find a used ciem for a good price in the buy/sell, then I don't mind sacrificing the warranty to have them reshelled. However, seeing as most ciems go for 500+ used, and adding 150 for reshelling, I think spending that money on new ones would be a better choice. How I buy them is not the issue here 
redface.gif

I've been away from head-fi for about a year and haven't heard of cosmicears. The review on innerfidelity on them mentioned that they were slightly lacking in bass. Though not a basshead, I'd still prefer to listen to something more 'fun' with a slightly v-shaped ss, a reason why I was looking at the 1964ears v3 and JH5, and possibly the HA-4A or UM Merlin.
Would the $800 price tag on the UM merlin be worth it, as opposed to the v3 for $425? I'm not necessarily looking for something jaw dropping amazing. I have heard the likes of the lcd-2s, but found them to not be worth the upgrade from the mad dogs that I currently own (in part due to the comfort, but also the gratuitous amount of bass). I rest my hopes on having reached endgame with the mad dogs (please, head-fi, try not to convince me to spend my money on more amazing equipment 
biggrin.gif
)

I've read many reviews and am pretty much set on the v3s. Maybe someone can convince me otherwise and go for a top tier CIEM? 
tongue.gif

Aug 12, 2013 at 8:04 PM Post #18 of 23
Quote:
let's try not to have an argument about warranty. If I can find a used ciem for a good price in the buy/sell, then I don't mind sacrificing the warranty to have them reshelled. However, seeing as most ciems go for 500+ used, and adding 150 for reshelling, I think spending that money on new ones would be a better choice. How I buy them is not the issue here 
redface.gif

I've been away from head-fi for about a year and haven't heard of cosmicears. The review on innerfidelity on them mentioned that they were slightly lacking in bass. Though not a basshead, I'd still prefer to listen to something more 'fun' with a slightly v-shaped ss, a reason why I was looking at the 1964ears v3 and JH5, and possibly the HA-4A or UM Merlin.
Would the $800 price tag on the UM merlin be worth it, as opposed to the v3 for $425? I'm not necessarily looking for something jaw dropping amazing. I have heard the likes of the lcd-2s, but found them to not be worth the upgrade from the mad dogs that I currently own (in part due to the comfort, but also the gratuitous amount of bass). I rest my hopes on having reached endgame with the mad dogs (please, head-fi, try not to convince me to spend my money on more amazing equipment 
biggrin.gif
)

I've read many reviews and am pretty much set on the v3s. Maybe someone can convince me otherwise and go for a top tier CIEM? 
tongue.gif

I was suggesting getting used because you can get the top tier CIEM such as the JH16 into your price range of medium tier CIEM. I hope I can just go to the top tier CIEM once and be done. Who knows if that will work out though. =\

Users who are viewing this thread

Back