CIEM recommendations?
Aug 11, 2013 at 12:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Hasashi

Head-Fier
Currently I am using Westone UM3X and loving it, but have decided it is time for an upgrade into the CIEM world. I have been looking at some entry-level CIEMS and am leaning towards the 1964ears V3. Other ones I have also been considering are JH5s and CTM-200s. My budget can be adjusted to suit mid or high-end CIEMs as well such as the JH13, Westone ES5, UM Miracle/merlin, but preferably, I'd like to stay on the low end of prices.
I'm looking for a fun sound signature as opposed to an analytic representation; Something with deep, punchy bass with little sacrifice in detail in the rest of the spectrum. I currently own the mad dogs and am very happy with the sound sig. The majority of my music consists of pop, instrumental, electronic, rock, movie/game soundtracks, and some other odds and ends. There isn't much choice in the sub-500 range for CIEMS, I know, but any and all other recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks!

Aug 11, 2013 at 6:46 PM Post #2 of 23
Get the fischer amps fa 4e xb is a custom universal and will fit your preferences great they are also more clear and detailed than the um3x with a much bigger soundstage and separation as good, treble is better extended and bass is in the same quantity and punch. I have the um3x and find de fischer a complete upgrade. They are available in thomann cyberstore for 510$

Aug 11, 2013 at 9:24 PM Post #8 of 23
1 year of warranty is too short but if you spend 800 and something goes bad... if you are the genuine buyer i guess you will have facilities to repair or replace them anyway i understand your point

Aug 11, 2013 at 9:33 PM Post #9 of 23
Quote:
1 year of warranty is too short but if you spend 800 and something goes bad... if you are the genuine buyer i guess you will have facilities to repair or replace them anyway i understand your point

And you cant do anything if you're the 2nd buyer and something goes bad? Probably have the exact same options.

Aug 11, 2013 at 9:53 PM Post #10 of 23
Yes it depends i guess, but if i m going to spend 800 bucks in something i prefer to be the first owner or at least have a period of warranty 2 years if its posible or 3 years like my fa 4e xb.

I bought a computer toshiba libretto and being the second owner when i tried to contact to the store or the warranty nobody answered me, thats how good companies care about second owners.

Aug 11, 2013 at 9:59 PM Post #11 of 23
Quote:
Yes it depends i guess, but if i m going to spend 800 bucks in something i prefer to be the first owner or at least have a period of warranty 2 years if its posible or 3 years like my fa 4e xb.

I bought a computer toshiba libretto and being the second owner when i tried to contact to the store or the warranty nobody answered me, thats how good companies care about second owners.

Every company is different when it comes to CS. It isn't even fair to compare used computers to used CIEMs. Save $400 and I'm sure you an use that $400 to fix anything that breaks in the future. It is as simple as this, is a 1 year warranty on a $1100 pair of IEM worth $400? To me, never. To you, an apparent yes. Well I guess you have to account some of the used cost to that $400.

This is all a matter of opinion. Anyways, I was only letting the OP know his options.

Aug 11, 2013 at 10:10 PM Post #12 of 23
I had very bad experiences with shure and earsonics and one great with fischer amps talking about warranties, shure are great if you have warranty but if you break something as stupid as the nozzle you have to replace the colplete iem, earsonics make iems with very bad build quality the shell someday will open and waranty dont cover that. I broke my fa 3e xb nozzle and it cost me to repair the shell 35 euros so yes it depends a lot but if the problem comes from the drivers im not sure how much will cost to repair them its probably a lot or a complete replacement and of course is something that is not your fault.

So yes i prefer to spend 400$ and use them as much as i want. But as i said one year is too short here is 2 years.

Aug 11, 2013 at 10:15 PM Post #13 of 23
Quote:
I had very bad experiences with shure and earsonics and one great with fischer amps talking about warranties, shure are great if you have warranty but if you break something as stupid as the nozzle you have to replace the colplete iem, earsonics make iems with very bad build quality the shell someday will open and waranty dont cover that. I broke my fa 3e xb nozzle and it cost me to repair the shell 35 euros so yes it depends a lot but if the problem comes from the drivers im not sure how much will cost to repair them its probably a lot or a complete replacement and of course is something that is not your fault.

So yes i prefer to spend 400$ and use them as much as i want. But as i said one year is too short here is 2 years.

Again, you're spending $400 for a 1 year limited warranty. Not $400 for a 2 or 3 year unlimited warranty. And again, I was only letting the OP know that this option exist.

Aug 11, 2013 at 10:28 PM Post #15 of 23
Cosmicears. Great bang-for-the-buck CIEM company. They'll have some new stuff rolling out soon and the return of their micro models now with detachable cables.

They have quite a few different models including a hybrid 3 and soon a hybrid 5.

They are getting good reviews and are a pretty much unbeatable value.

I plan on ordering a pair in the next month.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back