CIEM recommendations? Looking for something similar to a shure se846
Dec 30, 2021 at 11:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

nokialover

100+ Head-Fier
I'm in the market for a CIEM, I'm looking for something similar to the sound signature of the shure se846, possibly better. I'm considering to get custom ear tips for the se846 but it seems to be an old headphone to be buying right now. The UE 18+ at $1050 seems to be a good pickup, any other suggestions?

Dec 31, 2021 at 11:21 AM Post #2 of 10
I'm a big fan of the JH products partially because they have been in the business for a long time, respond well to questions, and have a variety of driver options. I auditioned most of their lineup and settled on the JH Audio 10x3 Pro. See link below.

It's a great CIEM because it doesn't have a ton of drivers. It's easy to drive with a portable, but also sounds good out of a good amp like the THX AAA 789. The bass is just emphasized enough to sound pleasant and never boomy or overpowering. You can extract those treble details in chimes, cymbals, and brush strokes easily with this CIEM. If you're still in the market I suggest looking at this options. I've had mine for over 5 years with no issues!

https://jhaudio.com/all-item-groups/products/custom-fit-products/jh10x3-pro-custom-in-ear-monitor

Apr 27, 2022 at 1:37 PM Post #5 of 10
I'm a big fan of the JH products partially because they have been in the business for a long time, respond well to questions, and have a variety of driver options. I auditioned most of their lineup and settled on the JH Audio 10x3 Pro. See link below.

It's a great CIEM because it doesn't have a ton of drivers. It's easy to drive with a portable, but also sounds good out of a good amp like the THX AAA 789. The bass is just emphasized enough to sound pleasant and never boomy or overpowering. You can extract those treble details in chimes, cymbals, and brush strokes easily with this CIEM. If you're still in the market I suggest looking at this options. I've had mine for over 5 years with no issues!

https://jhaudio.com/all-item-groups/products/custom-fit-products/jh10x3-pro-custom-in-ear-monitor
I watched a review on a westone CIEM review and the concern was that over some time the plastic part of the CIEM begins to disintegrate over time.

Given that your JH audio 10x3 has held up that’s reassuring. How does this compare to the UE lineup of CIEMs? It seems that it’s only the UE live is made for audiophile listening while the rest of the lineup is designed for live, on-stage performances.

Apr 27, 2022 at 1:46 PM Post #6 of 10
I would consider getting a Custom MEST mkii. The SE846 was my first audiophile IEM. The Mest is significantly better across the board to my ear. You can even buy a cheap unit on the secondary market and Unique Melody will reshell it for you to custom.

Apr 27, 2022 at 2:13 PM Post #7 of 10
I would consider getting a Custom MEST mkii. The SE846 was my first audiophile IEM. The Mest is significantly better across the board to my ear. You can even buy a cheap unit on the secondary market and Unique Melody will reshell it for you to custom.
brand new the price is a bit steep, but if there’s used deals to be had that changes the game. I didn’t know you could reshell a CIEM

Apr 28, 2022 at 10:19 PM Post #8 of 10
I would check out:

UM MEST MK II (as others have said, I saved nearly $500 by buying used then sending it UM to be reshelled, you should definitely keep this a top choice and keep an eye on the classifieds here as they often pop up below 900).
Campfire Audio Equinox
JH Jolene
Noble Zephyr
64 Audio N8

Sep 19, 2022 at 1:17 AM Post #9 of 10
I got to try the 64 audio 12t and compared it to the shure se846. It was a massive upgrade going side-by-side a couple of times. I wish I would've doubled checked this thread to try out the UM MEST MK II.

Sep 22, 2022 at 11:30 AM Post #10 of 10
I watched a review on a westone CIEM review and the concern was that over some time the plastic part of the CIEM begins to disintegrate over time.

Given that your JH audio 10x3 has held up that’s reassuring. How does this compare to the UE lineup of CIEMs? It seems that it’s only the UE live is made for audiophile listening while the rest of the lineup is designed for live, on-stage performances.

Your ears also continue to grow as you age. It's not uncommon for customs earphones or earplugs not to seal as well after 5 years or so, but that does vary from person to person.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back