CIEM fit questions? :S
Jan 23, 2013 at 1:38 AM Post #16 of 24
I'm going to send it in tomorrow. Still using it for now to ascertain which part of the canal is causing my ears to become sore. Don't want to screw up such an expensive investment, do I?
wink_face.gif

Feb 22, 2013 at 12:42 PM Post #19 of 24
I received the customs yesterday and after them for a whole day, they simply just disappear into my ears now. The refit came out right! It's interesting to note that the edge of the sound tubes are now a lot smoother than they were initially. 

Feb 22, 2013 at 2:14 PM Post #20 of 24
Initially my customs didn't feel comfortable on the left (smaller side).  There is a bit of of an adjustment period.  After a few days of use everything felt more comfortable and natural.  Now I quickly get a perfect seal and can open my mouth wide, yawn, chew etc... all without breaking the seal.  If you're getting a seal give it an extra day or two before you make a final decision.

Dec 15, 2014 at 8:20 AM Post #22 of 24
Hi,

I received my new CIEMs on Friday (Noble 3Cs), and did some testing. At first everything was just perfect, the sound, the seal, the fit, but then I did some more testing while doing other stuff in the house and noticed the seal gets lost when I move my head upwards like if I'm looking at the ceiling. In a more static listening mode the seal is restored and is very stable. I had the following email exchange with Noble, they say it is normal. Since I'm new in the CIEM world, I wanted to test this with you, is it indeed a normal thing? Thanks.

Hi, Sebastien,
Thanks for your clear clarification! Actually this is normal. You know, it's in one position when you make your ear impressions, and CIEMs are based on ear impressions. But when you eating, doing exercise or some other movements, your ears will move with them, so the seal will be influenced.
Best,
Sunny

Hi Sunny,
I have a question. I did some more testing, this time while being active. When my head is in its natural position, i.e., slightly bended forward, the seal is good, very easily noticeable through the plenty of bass. However, when I move my head backwards slightly past vertical, or of I lay horizontally, the seal gets lost. I notice by the feel that my skin disconnects from the CIEMS, and the bass vanishes. I repeated this experience many times. It is reversible too, so if I tilt my head forward again, the seal is restored. So my question is: is this normal, is the seal "fragile" and only good in one position, or is it supposed to stay in all/most head positions ? Let me know if you need me to do some more testing.
Thanks,
Sebastien

Dec 15, 2014 at 12:05 PM Post #24 of 24
It's normal with acrylic CIEMs. Can be slightly compensated with "musicians" fit and realy tight shells. But silicone CIEMs maintain seal during jaw movements better.

Some audiologists will apply a bit of pressure when they make impressions so that they feel like they are filling up your ears - this way the CIEMs don't simply "slip" in - they expand the opening a little bit so that the seal is kept in more than one position. It may be uncomfortable when you first get the new CIEM, but you adapt quickly - one of the reasons that when you receive new CIEMs and they feel tight, they say to use them for a period of a week or so to let your ears get used to them - and if the impression is otherwise accurate (no protrusions or ill-fitting areas) your ears compensate.

A singer on stage moves his head and jaw around considerably - the can't afford to have the sound come in and out during a performance - certainly extended canals (musician's fit) is another way to account for head movement.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back