CIEM fit question, is this normal?
Aug 30, 2013 at 12:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

archercat

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys, I recently received my CIEMS from a reshell.  The seal is 100% perfect, I can eat, drink, talk, etc... and they almost never lose the seal.  They are also very comfortable, and I absolutely love the sound.  So everything is about perfect no?

Well there is one really small thing... they do stick out a bit for being a custom IEM, it's not really that bothersome, and with a pillow I can lay on my side and it's not too painful, and believe me they are inserted as far as they can possibly go...

Does this look like it sticks out farther than usual?  I should just be glad they isolate right?  I guess this is a very subjective question...

Aug 30, 2013 at 1:08 PM Post #3 of 16
The front of the CIEM sticking out is normal, to make space for the cable connector. As for the rear part it varies from company to company, and also depending on how much space the components inside need.

Aug 30, 2013 at 2:21 PM Post #5 of 16
OK thanks, the first time was a bit more flush, but they didn't seal very well, this time the seal is great, but they are def stick out a bit more.  A buddy who has some UE's thought they stuck out a little far, but his are ultra flush, and I guess I got a little paranoid.

I didn't say the company, because I didn't want it to sound like I was complaining about them...  It was a warranty transfer, then a refit reshell from Heir.  

I couldn't be happier about the sound though... 

Thanks guys

Aug 30, 2013 at 2:33 PM Post #6 of 16
As long as the tip fits your ear canal nicely, the exterior sticking out a bit shouldn't be a big deal.  Maybe the reshell needed a little extra space to stuff all the components in.  

Edited that it shouldn't be a big deal.  My UE customs stick out a little at the top as well when I checked in the mirror.

Aug 30, 2013 at 6:18 PM Post #9 of 16
This is more an issue with the depth of your ear and how the CIEM manufacturer is able to install the drivers.  I have relatively small ears and my JH 10 x3 Pros stick out similarly, but not quite that much.

Is there any room to push the back section into the outer ear any more?  If not then that is how they are going to fit.

Sep 4, 2013 at 10:34 AM Post #12 of 16
Thanks all, I'll take it as normal... I don't think its the components, it's a 3 way, but the original shelling was much more flush...  It didn't bother me until I saw how my buddies fit, LOL.  Yeah no way I can push it in more...  anyway the most important part is the seal and that's good to go, so I'll have a Coke and a smile.

Sep 4, 2013 at 12:50 PM Post #13 of 16
  Thanks all, I'll take it as normal... I don't think its the components, it's a 3 way, but the original shelling was much more flush...  It didn't bother me until I saw how my buddies fit, LOL.  Yeah no way I can push it in more...  anyway the most important part is the seal and that's good to go, so I'll have a Coke and a smile.

If you can eat/drink with the customs on without any discomfort, then it shouldn't be a big deal at all.  You just won't be a stealthy with a bit of the CIEM sticking out and may get more people asking you what the hell you have sticking out of your ear.  

Nov 18, 2013 at 3:10 PM Post #14 of 16
Sorry to bring this up again... I would assume you can't "lightly" sand or really polish the faceplate down a bit along with the lobe part that fits in my ear concha to make it fit more flush can you?  I would imagine it would mess up the lacquer and you'll get an uneven or peeling finish  since I think there's probably a layer of lacquer over the acrylic?  

This is probably a stupid idea... but I saw a tub of turtle wax polishing compound the other day... LOL....

Nov 18, 2013 at 3:46 PM Post #15 of 16
  Sorry to bring this up again... I would assume you can't "lightly" sand or really polish the faceplate down a bit along with the lobe part that fits in my ear concha to make it fit more flush can you?  I would imagine it would mess up the lacquer and you'll get an uneven or peeling finish  since I think there's probably a layer of lacquer over the acrylic?  

This is probably a stupid idea... but I saw a tub of turtle wax polishing compound the other day... LOL....

Probably not a good idea. In order to make the CIEM visibly more flush you would probably need to sand down the entire lacquer finish, if not the entire thickness of the faceplate lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back