CIEM Audiologist HELL
Nov 4, 2014 at 3:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

LostArk

Head-Fier
So, I've been to two different audiologists a total of three times and none of my impressions have been satisfactory. The first audiologist didn't seem to know what she was doing, as the impressions came out wrong even after Sensaphonics gave her specific instructions. The second one seemed to have a superiority complex and ignored the instruction sheet I gave him. My options now are a) Drive 3 or more hours round trip to yet another audiologist, or b) attempt DIY impressions. 

Anyone else trying to get customs go through audiologist hell along the way? 

Nov 4, 2014 at 3:35 PM Post #2 of 25
Not so much hell, but a long drawn out process where my right ear didn't want to play ball.  Left ear fit every time, right ear no dice.  Funny thing is that when I switched to silicone my right ear fit first time!  Here's a thought, email sensaphonics and see if they have an approved audiologist near you.  That at least could minimize the hassle.

Regarding diy impressions I wouldn't unless you know what you are doing.  Have a look at the multi custom iem thread where aj has posted about the risks and rewards of doing it yourself.

Good luck and hope you get it sorted.

Nov 5, 2014 at 10:13 AM Post #3 of 25
I remain amazed that any self-described audiophile would put their hearing at risk by attempting DIY impressions.

It is an incredibly stupid idea, on many levels.

Sounds like you're in a relatively remote area, LostArk. I suggest you contact Sensaphonics at 312-432-1714 during business hours to discuss.

Nov 6, 2014 at 8:09 PM Post #5 of 25
My 2 cents is you got to hand it to the those audiologists that prefer to waste your money rather than follow a careful set of instructions. As if those instructions were made to be ignored or whether they were made to keep the customer as close to peace of mind as possible. I two experienced then superiority complex but alas they are not the ones that have to pay that extra shipping ehhh. Got to love it :).

Nov 11, 2014 at 11:26 PM Post #6 of 25
Thank you all for the thoughtful replies, especially JackKontney. I am beyond impressed by Sensaphonics customer care.

Kunlun, I'm glad to hear from you as well, as I've read many posts you've made with regards to the Future Sonics mg6pro, which is the monitor I plan on buying. Sensaphonics has impressed me so much with their customer service that the 3max is already on my list for next year :)

With regards to my audiology hell, it continues unabated. I've now been to three different audiologists a total of five times with no success.

I have freakishly straight ear canals:

four of the five sub-par impressions I've had made.

So I imagine doing my own impressions would not be as difficult as if I had zig-zags. The last audiologist I went to almost almost ripped my left eardrum out, I yelped in pain and told him to stop and took the mold out myself. I then had to see an ENT to make sure my eardrum wasn't damaged; luckily it wasn't, but my ear hurts like hell and the ENT said it looks "blood red."

Could doing my impressions be any worse than my experiences with "professional" audiologists?

I get that it's probably a bad idea for any person off the street to try DIY impressions right out of the gate, but I feel like after doing my research that I'm having to explain to the professionals how to do their job. None of the audiologists I've seen or talked to in my area seem to know what I'm talking about when I say I need impressions for ear monitors, and several have told me they've never taken an impression for that purpose. What planet am I living on?

Anyway, at this point if I want to see an audiologist I'm going to have to spend hundreds of dollars on transportation to New York City... sigh.

Nov 11, 2014 at 11:47 PM Post #7 of 25
Well, please accept my personal invitation to New York City! Julie Glick is a fantastic audiologist here (and a dealer for many CIEM makers including Sensaphonics). When I came in to have a set of impressions done by Julie, Lady Gaga had just finished getting hers done. Julie will take good care of you.

Nov 16, 2014 at 6:37 PM Post #8 of 25
I have had impressions done by two audiologists in the past year. Both were good, but the first place I went to told me they no longer offer impressions for CIEMs due to "poor results" when I went back for my second set. So I guess even with experienced audiologists it can be hit-or-miss...

PS. People who wonder why CIEMs aren't more popular than they are obviously haven't read threads like this.
rolleyes.gif

Nov 16, 2014 at 10:14 PM Post #9 of 25
I'd almost hate to advocate DIY impressions because I'm sure there are serious risks if not done correctly, but I feel like after having 4-5 sets taken by an audiologist, I'm familiar enough with the process to do it myself safely with acceptable results.

The very first set of impressions I ever used were DIY. I bought one of those 2-part putty, ear dam and syringe kits. They turned out OK, but with a little practice, I don't see why they wouldn't be just as good as professionally taken impressions. I also think if DIY impressions were as dangerous as some of you guys think, you wouldn't be able to go online and buy a DIY kit. I imagine due to liability, these stores would have pulled them a long time ago. But you can still easily buy these kits. I think the risks are exaggerated. Just be smart.

Every time I get impressions, I think, "Why can't I do this myself?" The audiologist slides a cotton dam (which he makes himself using a piece of cotton and floss) into my ear canal and tells me if it hurts, let him know... I don't really need him for that part. I put the bite block in my mouth... I can find something at home 1" wide to bite on, then he takes all of 10 seconds to fill my ear with silicone. I could see this part being difficult to nail on my first try, but I've already started thinking about rigging up my notebook and desktop cameras so that I will be able to watch my ear during the process. And with enough spare silicone, I don't see why I can't do this myself.

So, I went on eBay and found a new impression gun for $10 (accepted my offer) and a couple of heavy body (high viscosity) silicone cartridges good for 8-12 impressions for $22. $32 total. I'm just waiting for the packages. In the meantime, I bought one of those ear cleaning syringes and have cleaned a ton of wax out of my ears for good measure.

Next step: JH16s when they run their Black Friday sale and Cosmic Ear's micro monitors as soon as they start selling them again... AND my UM's desperately need repair and reshell.

Nov 16, 2014 at 10:18 PM Post #10 of 25
  I'd almost hate to advocate DIY impressions because I'm sure there are serious risks if not done correctly, but I feel like after having 4-5 sets taken by an audiologist, I'm familiar enough with the process to do it myself safely with acceptable results.

The very first set of impressions I ever used were DIY. I bought one of those 2-part putty, ear dam and syringe kits. They turned out OK, but with a little practice, I don't see why they wouldn't be just as good as professionally taken impressions.

Every time I get impressions, I think, "Why can't I do this myself?" The audiologist slides a cotton dam (which he makes himself using a piece of cotton and floss) into my ear canal and tells me if it hurts, let him know... I don't really need him for that part. I put the bite block in my mouth... I can find something at home 1" wide to bite on, then he takes all of 10 seconds to fill my ear with silicone. I could see this part being difficult to nail on my first try, but I've already started thinking about rigging up my notebook and desktop cameras so that I will be able to watch my ear during the process. And with enough spare silicone, I don't see why I can't do this myself.

So, I went on eBay and found a new impression gun for $10 (accepted my offer) and a couple of heavy body (high viscosity) silicone cartridges good for 8-12 impressions for $22. $32 total. I'm just waiting for the packages. In the meantime, I bought one of those ear cleaning syringes and have cleaned a ton of wax out of my ears for good measure.

Next step: JH16s when they run their Black Friday sale and Cosmic Ear's micro monitors as soon as they start selling them again... AND my UM's desperately need repair and reshell.

Well, I wouldn't advocate doing it yourself given the risks involved. I mean, by all means go for it if you're confident, but a mishap would be frightening. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back