CI Audio VDA2/VAC1 vs Apogee Duet (impressions added)
Jan 21, 2009 at 1:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

paaj

Headphoneus Supremus
After just receiving my brand new VDA2/VAC1 combo, I thought I'd post some pictures and eventually give some impressions of how they compare to my Duet to make you all happy. Just took them out of the package so I'll wait for a few days for things to settle and for me to get accustomed to this new DAC.
First some clickable pictures:

First impressions are good for the VDA2, a little smoother than the Duet and I feel it has a better soundstage. Duet tends to be more clinical and can be a little harsh. Have not done any critical listening though.
[size=xx-small]
--
at the moment I'm waiting for some BJC IC to arrive so I can give a proper fair and more indepth comparison by attaching both the duet and vda2 with the same cable to the Solo. They have arrived, I could wait some more for Duet APS cables, but I won't
wink.gif

--
[/size]

update 4feb2009:

=== DUET vs VDA2/VAC1 ===

Ok, here it comes... a first step into the unknown world of equipment reviews
tongue.gif

I'll try to keep it short and to the point.
A list of the used setup for future reference:
Mac Mini as main playback system with iTunes playing ALAC

Duet connected with standard firewire cable
VDA2 connected with an 0404USB as coaxial s/pdif source. (optical input is taken by PS3)

Duet into Solo with 2 ft BJC 1/4 TRS -> RCA
VDA2 into Solo with 2 ft BJC RCA -> RCA

Graham Slee Solo to HD650
First things first:
- the looks
The Duet is sexy. I'll overlook the breakout cable as a beauty flaw...
The VDA2/VAC1 is almost cute (think companion cube cute without the pink) and you can stack it
- the build quality
Actually both DAC's are top notch. The Duet feels very solid is heavier than one would expect. Same thing with the VDA2 and VAC1 actually, surprisingly heavy given the size. RCA outputs feel like good quality.
Both units have one minor drawback:
The Duet comes with a crap breakout cable that needs converters.
The VDA2 and VAC1's footprint is a bit too small for the heavy cables that hang at the back. Especially stacked. The cables can easily tilt the units backwards.

Then: on to the impressions. Here are some songs I listened to:
Amon Tobin - Esther's
If you say 'bass texture' I can't help but think about this track, mostly created with various engine noises but also deep bassdrums.
-the Duet bass goes nice and deep, but I feel the VDA2 is just a little faster and a little more detailed.
The VDA2 also seems to get the details in the highs better even during the sometimes overpowering bass notes.

Art Blakey - Moanin'
Just one of my favorite tracks, great headbobbing sax/piano/drum performance
-here the Duet gives a sound that is a little more forward than the VDA2, mostly noticeable with the sax. VDA2 is slightly more laid back. Hihats on the Duet can be a little harsh, but this also happens a little on the VDA2. Duets forward sound helps in the excitement this track should have.

Dire Straits - Telegraph Road
Love the sound of the drums and guitar work on this one. Somehow this is epic...
-VDA2 seems more detailed, gives a slightly bigger soundstage, feels more real. Duet has the edge on impact, mostly because the more forward sound that's also noticeable here, but it also results in a harshness sometimes.
Bass notes are easier to follow on the VDA2.

Face Tomorrow - On My Own
Emo rock kind of song by a Dutch band. Fell victim to the raging loudness wars, but just can't help loving this song.
-The Duet gets the voices and guitar out a bit better, it puts them more forward while the VDA2 gives a bit wider soundstage with better separation.

Tool - AEnema
One of my favorite bands, throwing all I like about them in one explosive song.
-Again, the Duet shows clearer voice with the VDA2. Put up the volume when VDA2 was used, and there, voices pop up
tongue.gif
(more on this later) Still more polite on the highs though, doesn't get harsh where the Duet does. Duet gets a little more congested with the louder parts.

Slayer - Angel of Death
Fast, Brutal, Oh I love this track. Put this in for speed... oh and for fun.
-VDA2 gives a bit more bass punch, both are fast. Duet a bit overdoing the highs, VDA2 feels warmer.
Conclusions:
For the given impressions it is important to notice that the output volume of the Duet is higher than the VDA2. I did try to compensate with the volume control, but as a result overall listened volume varies quite a lot. The volume difference is probably also the reason for many of the differences I've heard, as both DAC's sound very much similar to each other.
As far as 'best' of the two goes, it's close. From this (and previous) listening sessions, I do feel the VDA2 is a bit more spacious and detailed, with the Duet being a bit more forward with the tendency to become a bit clinical/harsh.

I'm very happy with the VDA2, as the two RCA outputs enable me to have both speaker amp and headphone amp connected and I don't need to turn on the speaker amp to be able to listen to headphones. But for sound alone, I don't know: I do prefer the VDA2, but at little over half the price of the VDA2/VAC1, the Duet feels like a bargain.
Of course, you'd need a mac to be able to use it so that could make the Duet setup considerably more expensive while you can use the VDA2 with any device with digital output.

In a way I'm happy it turned out to be so close, as I can now put the Duet to use at GF's place without worrying about the source for now... or keep it at home for the speaker setup and go for a VDA2 -> DIY balanced B22
biggrin.gif

Jan 21, 2009 at 2:22 PM Post #2 of 27
I'm eager to read your impressions I must say, since I used to own a Duet and considered the CIA DAC at one stage.

Jan 23, 2009 at 11:14 AM Post #4 of 27
Normal NL price is €750 but I found it for €600. I believe in the US it's something like $700?

Jan 30, 2009 at 11:39 PM Post #5 of 27
i'm interested in this combo - I've the HD 650 and the GS Solo as well. Certainly looking forward to your review on how these sound together.

Jan 31, 2009 at 1:22 AM Post #6 of 27
So far I'm happy with it
smily_headphones1.gif
just need to find some time and really sit down with it. expecting somewhere next week...

Jan 31, 2009 at 1:59 AM Post #7 of 27
aah
smily_headphones1.gif
looks promising though - I must say, i'm a tad bit envious. How much did the DAC and PS cost together? (if you don't mind me asking) - considering I'm in the UK, would be useful info.

Did you have to import it from the US?

Jan 31, 2009 at 2:09 AM Post #8 of 27
I'm very interested in how this all shakes out for you.

I own the Duet, and had the VDA2 in my system for evaluation for about 30 days or so last summer, so I've had experience with both.

The CIA DAC is a nice piece of equipment. I actually think that the two sound somewhat the same, that is more forward and fun to listen to. Though I've not been able to compare the two side by side, if pushed, I think I probably liked the CIA DAC more, but that's not to say that I don't like the Duet.

I'd tend to agree that the Duet can be a bit clinical. It benefits greatly from a tubed front end IMHO.

Jan 31, 2009 at 2:12 AM Post #9 of 27
BTW - if you get a chance, I'd be interested in hearing what you think of the VDA2 with the stock power supply vs the VAC1. I didn't get the chance to do so when I did my review, and I'm curious how much difference it makes. I suspect it makes a lot of difference, given my experience with Audio Alchemy products and their upgraded power supplies.

Jan 31, 2009 at 5:25 PM Post #10 of 27
for price, check angelsoundaudio.co.uk, that's where I got mine. It's a crappy website, but good service
tongue.gif

I don't have the stock PSU, so can't comment on that. So far the Duet and VDA2 do sound pretty much alike, with the Duet being a bit more forward and a bit louder. The VDA2 gives smoother highs.
So far I'm pretty happy with the VDA2, because it gives me two RCA outputs (I do use the 180* switch, but can't really hear a difference yet) and sounds pretty good and a little more laid back than the Duet. Two RCA outputs means I don't have to use my amp when I don't use my speaker system. This is of course more a convenience thing.

I know, I really need to find some time
wink.gif

Feb 1, 2009 at 5:10 PM Post #14 of 27
Remember you can configure the CIAudio Dac and two amps in a balanced mode for balanced headphones. It also helps to have separate power supplies for the three components.

You may find this link interesting:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/cha...7/#post3238141

Users who are viewing this thread

Back