Chromecast audio - can anyone comment on sound quality?
Jan 15, 2020 at 5:21 PM Post #466 of 560
Yeah, it can be temperamental. Lately I also noticed Spotify plays at a noticeably lower volume than say Tidal through the CCA at the 100% volume setting. There was also an issue recently when I couldn't play tracks from my library but those that were not in my library played fine. May also be a wi-fi problem.

I have noticed Spotify play at a lower volume too thru the CCA. Seems to be an ongoing issue upon doing a Google search. I run an optical cable out of the CCA to a HifimeDIY S2 9038 DAC to my 2 channel stereo and I love the setup and sound but the low Spotify volume bugs me. Casting BubbleUPNP and Radio Paradise FLAC and there are no such issues. Does anyone know a fix or workaround?

Mar 6, 2020 at 2:25 AM Post #467 of 560
Heads up most CCA's are exhibiting issues with Hi-res (over 48khz) audio streaming (since ~mid 2018) and Google is working on it.
Yes, as I suspected. Playing 44/16 or 48/24 music through Chromecast Audio into an external DAC is reliable. It's only with high resolution files into an external DAC that it starts to drop out.
Stuttering on hi-res streams has apparently been fixed with a recent firmware update: https://support.google.com/chromecast/thread/5205344
I followed instructions to update the firmware by doing a factory reset and joining the Preview Program, but the support post said it may take a couple of days for the update to be pushed to the device. The product was discontinued over a year ago and I'm pleasantly surprised that they continued to work on it.

Mar 6, 2020 at 10:34 AM Post #468 of 560
Stuttering on hi-res streams has apparently been fixed with a recent firmware update: https://support.google.com/chromecast/thread/5205344
I followed instructions to update the firmware by doing a factory reset and joining the Preview Program, but the support post said it may take a couple of days for the update to be pushed to the device. The product was discontinued over a year ago and I'm pleasantly surprised that they continued to work on it.
I attempted to update my two Chromecast Audio devices. Factory Reboot on the first CCA worked fine, still has the older firmware, hopefully will be updated in a couple of days as you stated.

The second CCA took the Factory Reset, but now I can't set it up again. The Home app finds the device but stalls on the "Connecting To Chromecast Audio" screen. I disconnected and powered it up again, no luck. I tried the manual reset button with the same result. I brought it downstairs and connected it in place of the first CCA, no joy.

I cannot see Preview Program in my Home app. I don't know what to do next. I really need that second CCA. So disappointing that they discontinued this amazing little dongle. I'd buy another in a heartbeat.

EDIT: Chatted with Google Service. He had me connect my Android phone directly to the Chromecast Audio device instead of my home network for the setup. All good now.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2020 at 2:35 PM Post #469 of 560
Android phone directly to the Chromecast Audio

How do you avoid the network? I can't connect my CC to the office wifi due to softAP not allowing shared access.

Mar 6, 2020 at 3:14 PM Post #470 of 560
How do you avoid the network? I can't connect my CC to the office wifi due to softAP not allowing shared access.
When CCA is searching for a host during setup, it broadcasts an IP address. Disconnect your phone from the wi-fi network and connect directly to the CCA IP address. After you finish setup, it asks to link with wi-fi. I don't know if you can ignore that step and continue to control Chromecast from your phone. I've had enough trouble for today, not going to try it. :relaxed:

Mar 6, 2020 at 3:18 PM Post #471 of 560

Just bring your friendly IT Network Admin a couple cases of a nice craft beer or a bottle of bourbon and show them the CCA and nicely explain what you want to do. I’m sure they’ll be able to get you all set up on the DL :)

Apr 14, 2020 at 6:51 AM Post #472 of 560
Hi, I have been using a CCA as my main streamer (Deezer Hifi and FLACs from my NAS). CCA is connected over optical to a Topping D50s NAS. A couple of weeks ago I took a Mac Mini that I had around and connected it over USB to the D50s playing both the FLACs (using Audirvana test account) and Deezer deskstop client. I A/Bed the two options and to my not very objective ears, the Mini sounded better. This is killing me since from a usability perspective CCA is much better for me (I can operate everything from my iPhone at ease). Last night I powered the CCA with my powerbank which is already powering the D50s (I have two USB outs and enough power for both). I believe this has resulted in an improvement, although I still need to A/B with the Mac mini.

Am curious to see of other folks reached the same conclusions with the CCA. If they looked for ways to improve the SQ on CCA or what can be an alternative not so expensive source.

Apr 14, 2020 at 7:55 AM Post #473 of 560
Hi, I have been using a CCA as my main streamer (Deezer Hifi and FLACs from my NAS). CCA is connected over optical to a Topping D50s NAS. A couple of weeks ago I took a Mac Mini that I had around and connected it over USB to the D50s playing both the FLACs (using Audirvana test account) and Deezer deskstop client. I A/Bed the two options and to my not very objective ears, the Mini sounded better. This is killing me since from a usability perspective CCA is much better for me (I can operate everything from my iPhone at ease). Last night I powered the CCA with my powerbank which is already powering the D50s (I have two USB outs and enough power for both). I believe this has resulted in an improvement, although I still need to A/B with the Mac mini.

Am curious to see of other folks reached the same conclusions with the CCA. If they looked for ways to improve the SQ on CCA or what can be an alternative not so expensive source.
To be honest I can barely distinguish the CCA's analog output from its optical output connected to my K5 pro. So I'm surprised you can spot the difference using optical only. Can you try a blind test?

Apr 14, 2020 at 10:37 AM Post #474 of 560
To be honest I can barely distinguish the CCA's analog output from its optical output connected to my K5 pro. So I'm surprised you can spot the difference using optical only. Can you try a blind test?
I have found the CCA analog output sounds great connected to some devices and decidedly second rate connected to others. A good example of how important component matching is. The optical output is indistinguishable from two other (much more expensive) streamers I own.

Apr 14, 2020 at 10:51 AM Post #475 of 560

I have a streamer with both optical and USB outputs. My DAC has both optical and USB inputs. The USB definitely sounds better. Is it the streamer or the DAC causing the difference? I can't say for sure but USB is the preferred option. Many implementations of Toslink optical are reported to have SQ problems, usually related to jitter.

I have often powered my CCA with a powerbank and I think the sound quality is slightly better. If you have "noise" on your AC lines it can get through the wall wart power supply and cause jitter problems. Battery power, or a quieter power supply could help.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2020 at 11:29 AM Post #476 of 560
I have a streamer with both optical and USB outputs. My DAC has both optical and USB inputs. The USB definitely sounds better. Is it the streamer or the DAC causing the difference? I can't say for sure but USB is the preferred option. Many implementations of Toslink optical are reported to have SQ problems, usually related to jitter.

I have often powered my CCA with a powerbank and I think the sound quality is slightly better. If you have "noise" on your AC lines it can get through the wall wart power supply and cause jitter problems. Battery power, or a quieter power supply could help.

Thanks for the feedback. I think indeed USB sounds better. I think I will get a Raspberry pi and play a bit with it.

Apr 14, 2020 at 1:11 PM Post #477 of 560

Some streaming services stream at lower quality in Chromecast. Spotify streams up to 320 Kbps Ogg Vorbis but their Chromecast streaming is 256 Kbps AAC.

For many years, CD quality streaming on Deezer was only on the desktop app (streaming on mobile and web player was only 320 mp3). Last year Deezer finally made CD quality available on mobile. It is possible that Deezer does not offer full quality on Chromecast.

Apr 14, 2020 at 4:15 PM Post #478 of 560

I use an SOTM SMS-200 Neo and CCA in my main system. Both are powered by linear power supplies, with conversion via an Audiolab DAC. CCA is connected via glass Toslink cable, SMS is USB. There is a clear difference in audio quality, both playing zero compression FLAC files at CD to 96/24 resolution. USB beats Toslink on my DAC, but the streamer does matter. Regardless, the little CCA is a miracle for the price. I have two now, with a third on the way.

Apr 14, 2020 at 4:48 PM Post #479 of 560
Heads up most CCA's are exhibiting issues with Hi-res (over 48khz) audio streaming (since ~mid 2018) and Google is working on it. If anyone is experiencing this, please jump in this thread and send feedback from the Google Home app.
Follow up...
My firmware never got updated (still stuck at version 1.42.172094, fixed version is supposed to be 1.44.185164). I searched the web and could not find a single user who said they received the update. In the past couple of months, two separate Google support threads on the topic have become closed to new posts.

Unfortunately, the realistic conclusion is that the update was never released to the public and nothing will be forthcoming.

Apr 14, 2020 at 5:27 PM Post #480 of 560
Follow up...
My firmware never got updated (still stuck at version 1.42.172094, fixed version is supposed to be 1.44.185164). I searched the web and could not find a single user who said they received the update. In the past couple of months, two separate Google support threads on the topic have become closed to new posts.

Unfortunately, the realistic conclusion is that the update was never released to the public and nothing will be forthcoming.
I believe you are correct. I jumped through all the Settings hoops they described in Home and CCA; still 1.42, no firmware update.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back