Chromecast audio - can anyone comment on sound quality?
Apr 14, 2020 at 6:03 PM Post #481 of 560
Follow up...
My firmware never got updated (still stuck at version 1.42.172094, fixed version is supposed to be 1.44.185164). I searched the web and could not find a single user who said they received the update. In the past couple of months, two separate Google support threads on the topic have become closed to new posts.

Unfortunately, the realistic conclusion is that the update was never released to the public and nothing will be forthcoming.

Yeah, that’s bullcrap. My (2) CCAs have been stuck on that 1.42 version for a while. Nothing I do updates them to 1.44 (at least not in the app).

I’d love to find a way to update them; perhaps directly connected USB to a computer?

Apr 14, 2020 at 7:53 PM Post #483 of 560
I tried the method in that video (which is also the defacto method cited all over the web), and I get a 403 error.

Apparently, Google did an update and broke the remote command functionality (at least on port 8008).

Details are here: https://www.reddit.com/r/Chromecast/comments/c8msan/reboot_api_removedrestricted_403_forbidden_with/

The last comment on that Reddit thread pointed to this Github thread: https://github.com/rithvikvibhu/GHLocalApi/issues/39

In that thread, a user posted this curious tidbit (https://github.com/rithvikvibhu/GHLocalApi/issues/39#issuecomment-533307194):

"ive got build version 1.42.168007 and i dont need to send any auth token, just need to use insecure flag. all commands previously used with 8008 needs to be done to 8443 and https, but no token required."

So previously, the Powershell command was:

Invoke-WebRequest -Method Post -ContentType "application/json" -Body '{"params": "ota foreground"}' -Uri "http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:8008/setup/reboot" -Verbose -UserAgent "curl"

and now according to that guy it's:

Invoke-WebRequest -Method Post -ContentType "application/json" -Body '{"params": "ota foreground"}' -Uri "https://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:8443/setup/reboot" -Verbose -UserAgent "curl"

Note the change from http to https and port 8008 to port 8443.

However, I am not a Powershell expert and I am unsure how to implement the curl insecure flag as it pertains to curl via Powershell (ie how the guy said "just need to use insecure flag").

So the bottom line is that hopefully someone could take the info I dug out so far and figure out the rest as we should be really close...

I will also add that I've seen it recommended to be on "Preview" firmware builds (by going to Settings - Preview). Supposedly, that always forces the latest firmware updates. It may be the best way to force the update to 1.44.185164. However, as @markbrauer pointed out below, that can also break as many things as it fixes).

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2020 at 7:53 PM Post #484 of 560
I believe you are correct. I jumped through all the Settings hoops they described in Home and CCA; still 1.42, no firmware update.
I too am at 1.42.172094. To me there were 2 critical Chromecast Audio updates. One back a couple of years ago ruined the Chromecast. After that update, the Toslink output developed intermittent dropouts when streaming 96/24 files. I reported the issue a number of times and there are many threads where you can confirm users started reporting this as a problem. It may or may not have been limited to ESS Sabre Dacs. Prior to that update 96/24 Toslink was no problem (it always continued to work without dropouts on the internal Chromecast DAC). I had given up on this ever being fixed. And then a few months ago 96/24 started working perfectly again. I do not know what the update versions they were, but I'm happy where I am, and fearful that any future updates could cause problems.

Apr 16, 2020 at 2:05 AM Post #485 of 560
I have noticed Spotify play at a lower volume too thru the CCA. Seems to be an ongoing issue upon doing a Google search. I run an optical cable out of the CCA to a HifimeDIY S2 9038 DAC to my 2 channel stereo and I love the setup and sound but the low Spotify volume bugs me. Casting BubbleUPNP and Radio Paradise FLAC and there are no such issues. Does anyone know a fix or workaround?

Just wanted to report back on this, issue has been resolved:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/On...e-casting-with-Chromecast-Audio/idi-p/4890085

I have tested and volume is no longer attenuated (??) like it was prior and sounds much better.

The CCA outputting to my HifiMeDIY 9038 is the only source I have connected to my 2 channel stereo and I love having access to all my tunes streaming and controlled via a repurposed Android device. Still have not seen later updates to the CCA as others have mentioned.

Apr 19, 2020 at 12:17 PM Post #486 of 560
I moved to Deezer Hifi from Qobuz due to catalogue issues. As I am moving away from bluesound (separate discussion to be had here), I have been relying on CCA as my streamer connected over Toslink to my DAC (Topping D50s). After numerous testing against a mac mini streaming Qobuz with Audirvana, and a RPI streaming Qobuz with Volumio - both over USB, I could not find any major difference in SQ on my setup. What made it for me with the CCA was switching from the default delivered power supply (USB charger + cable) to a powerbank. This gave the CCA the bit of extra clean sound I was looking for.

Obviously I will be revisiting this, but for now, I am concentrated on improving SQ on my core setup (currently looking at upgrading speakers).

Apr 19, 2020 at 1:51 PM Post #487 of 560
I moved to Deezer Hifi from Qobuz due to catalogue issues. As I am moving away from bluesound (separate discussion to be had here), I have been relying on CCA as my streamer connected over Toslink to my DAC (Topping D50s). After numerous testing against a mac mini streaming Qobuz with Audirvana, and a RPI streaming Qobuz with Volumio - both over USB, I could not find any major difference in SQ on my setup. What made it for me with the CCA was switching from the default delivered power supply (USB charger + cable) to a powerbank. This gave the CCA the bit of extra clean sound I was looking for.

Obviously I will be revisiting this, but for now, I am concentrated on improving SQ on my core setup (currently looking at upgrading speakers).
The only gripe I have against the CCA is its lack of gapless playback. SQ is indeed great, especially with a powerbank. But too many of my favorite albums require gapless and my core setup delivers. So the CCAs are only suitable for secondary systems.

Apr 19, 2020 at 4:33 PM Post #488 of 560
Anyone have their CCA connected via ethernet a'la:

https://darko.audio/2018/07/letters-to-the-editor-3-ways-to-juice-your-chromecast-audio/

Mine is exclusively connected via ethernet, have not tested over WiFi to determine if there is a sonic benefit, but I like the idea. Have not upgraded powersupply, just using an Amazon Basics USB charger. Outputting optical to my DAC. Considering maybe upgrading power supplies for both the CCA and the DAC as they are my only connected source to my stereo .

Jun 5, 2020 at 5:05 AM Post #490 of 560
I bought chromecast audio recently (quiet expensive though as its very rare). I plugged in my Brainwavz B400 earphones and disabled High Dynamic Range

Sound quality is really good even for 90 eur device. sound is very open, superior soundstage and bit on warmer side. also when compared to ibasso DC01 this is the only source where I felt real sonic difference in hi-res files. hi-res files via ibasso DC01 was not all good, may be something to do with android settings.

Quiet happy with chromecast audio.

Jun 5, 2020 at 8:53 AM Post #491 of 560
Anyone else noticed that Chromecast Audio no longer has trouble casting hi-rez files optically to an outboard DAC?

Jun 5, 2020 at 9:21 AM Post #492 of 560
I bought chromecast audio recently...
Quiet happy with chromecast audio.

Visanj,
I'm thinking you must have meant that you enabled High Dynamic Range, to get the best sound quality.

As I have said in earlier posts, I am a big proponent of using the Chromecast Audio as an all-in-one streamer/DAC/headphone amp - with headphones plugged directly into its 3.5mm output. Used that way, the sound quality is very near as good as my $1500 desktop setup, which includes a standalone streamer and a combo DAC/amp. The only place it falls down a notch is on very loud orchestral music and aggressively-played solo piano, where there could be some distortion and smearing of the sound. Typical recordings of jazz, pop, acoustic, chamber music, etc are all reproduced with no issues.

I have usually powered my CCA with a battery powerbank, feeling that it made for a slightly cleaner sound. Being the CCA came with a 1 amp "wall wart", I always used a 1 amp powerbank. Recently I had occasion to use a powerbank rated to provide 2.4 amps and I was somewhat shocked to find out the loud-passage distortion was eliminated. Evidently the CCA can draw more than 1 amp when called upon to deal with difficult passages. I listened to nothing else for a full week, with a wide variety of music, and never heard a problem. When I went back to my desktop system I did not notice any great improvement. The CCA really shines when more amperage is available.

Now, I realize that synergy between amp and headphone can have a big effect on SQ, but I find the CCA does work well with the half-dozen headphones I have used with it, varying from 16 to 300 Ohms. So YMMV. On the other hand, I find the audio output of the CCA exhibits no synergy with any of the amps I have used it with. Sound quality, while listenable, is unremarkable. I suspect it has to do with an impedance mismatch or somesuch. As many others have pointed out, the SQ when using the optical output with an external DAC is great.

I honestly feel that, SQ-wise, the CCA could suffice as my only "system". What it lacks is the ability to do gapless playback. That's a dealbreaker for me.

Happy listening

Jun 5, 2020 at 10:04 AM Post #493 of 560
Now, I realize that synergy between amp and headphone can have a big effect on SQ, but I find the CCA does work well with the half-dozen headphones I have used with it, varying from 16 to 300 Ohms. So YMMV. On the other hand, I find the audio output of the CCA exhibits no synergy with any of the amps I have used it with. Sound quality, while listenable, is unremarkable. I suspect it has to do with an impedance mismatch or somesuch. As many others have pointed out, the SQ when using the optical output with an external DAC is great.Happy listening
Yes the chromecast audio apparently has a 34 ohm impedance which is quite high for planars for instance:
http://archimago.blogspot.com/2016/02/measurements-google-chromecast-audio.html
It sounded a bit strange with my 16 ohm Quad Era-1. It should work fine with high impedance headphones on the other hand.

Jun 5, 2020 at 12:27 PM Post #494 of 560
Anyone else noticed that Chromecast Audio no longer has trouble casting hi-rez files optically to an outboard DAC?
Yes, thankfully they finally fixed that issue.

I looked back and found that Google was getting complaints about this as far back as 2016. It was sometime in 2019 that it finally started working again for me.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2020 at 1:43 PM Post #495 of 560
Yes, thankfully they finally fixed that issue.
What music player are you using? It still stutters for me if I cast from the Qobuz app at 24/96. No problem at 16/44 (well, except for gapless :triportsad:).

Also, my firmware never updated and has remained at 1.42.172094.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back