Chromecast audio - can anyone comment on sound quality?
Dec 2, 2016 at 7:46 PM Post #256 of 560
Man, how cool is this little bugger. Someone in the HD650 thread mentioned this device as possibly a better alternative to the logitech Bluetooth stereo adapter. So I bought one.

Ha, it even took the wifi password from my phone... Setup was a breeze. Thank goodness. Bluetooth was driving me insane.

Google is doing some great things. But bad things to my savings. Trial google play for free my phone said. Includes adfree you tube it said.

Why not, I thought, what harm could it possibly do?

Several thousand dollars later... Holy crap. Damn you google!

Dec 5, 2016 at 11:04 AM Post #257 of 560
I wonder if anybody could help me with this. I bought a Chromecast Audio the first week of release, and was pretty excited to control streaming wirelessly, after using a USB hookup for the longest time.

I was disappointed by the sound of the analogue output, and then to my surprise didn't do a whole lot better with optical into a Maverick DAC, hearing a compressed and very lossy sound, roughly what you'd hear from the headphone jack of an average laptop going into the preamp.

I just thought, well ok, it's $35, and have put up with it for the convenience. But now I see this thread, and other reviews, sounding as if my results should be VERY much better than what I'm getting.

Can anybody give me a clue as to where I'm going wrong?

Dec 5, 2016 at 1:12 PM Post #260 of 560
k2doggo,

You are correct that the HDR option will not impact CCA sound using its optical output.  

On the other hand, the optical out of the CCA is theoretically a bit-perfect copy of the original input it is receiving. So, it should have no real "sound" of its own at all (any more than an optical cable has a sound.*)   You are basically hearing the sound of your source.

That said...the source sound quality can vary a lot.  What are you listening to?  Streaming services, or your own files, and what are the settings of the compatible software?

In streaming sources, Tidal could sound better than Spotify because it can transfer a higher quality bitrate/signal.  However, I expect your Tidal settings (and subscription type) could impact that. 

On your own files CCA is capable of at least CD quality sound from your own files using the right compatible software, but I do not know how it handles HD Audio files.  

If you are hearing lossy and compressed, (like FM radio for example) then there is something wrong with your setpu (wifi quality at the CCA location?).  

I have only heard this complaint 1 other time and it was from a Napster (formerly Rhapsody) user.  Napster does not have native CCA compatiblility but sort of works casting using CC Video casting.

Note, there have been numerous updates to CCA firmware.  They happen automatically but the CCA must be on to receive them.

Perhaps with more info on your sources and software we can be more help. 

*Some could argue this...but they would be insane imho :wink:

Dec 9, 2016 at 6:07 PM Post #261 of 560
  I wonder if anybody could help me with this. I bought a Chromecast Audio the first week of release, and was pretty excited to control streaming wirelessly, after using a USB hookup for the longest time.

I was disappointed by the sound of the analogue output, and then to my surprise didn't do a whole lot better with optical into a Maverick DAC, hearing a compressed and very lossy sound, roughly what you'd hear from the headphone jack of an average laptop going into the preamp.

I just thought, well ok, it's $35, and have put up with it for the convenience. But now I see this thread, and other reviews, sounding as if my results should be VERY much better than what I'm getting.

Can anybody give me a clue as to where I'm going wrong?

How are you casting? If you are you doing it from within a supported app (Spotify, Pandora, Google Play, etc.) you should be getting good sound from optical out, or from analog with High Dynamic Range enabled (it comes with that turned off) since in this case the stream is coming from the internet, not your phone. 

But if you are doing it from "Cast screen/audio" in the Home cell phone app, then the quality will not be as good, since mirroring your phone takes a lot more processing.

I asked this in a Google help forum. 

Dec 10, 2016 at 12:56 PM Post #263 of 560
Man, how cool is this little bugger. Someone in the HD650 thread mentioned this device as possibly a better alternative to the logitech Bluetooth stereo adapter. So I bought one.

Ha, it even took the wifi password from my phone... Setup was a breeze. Thank goodness. Bluetooth was driving me insane.

Google is doing some great things. But bad things to my savings. Trial google play for free my phone said. Includes adfree you tube it said.

Why not, I thought, what harm could it possibly do?

Several thousand dollars later... Holy crap. Damn you google!

Six month update: In my case it was only $800, after picking up a couple of CCA pucks.

Since the acquisition of the Chromecast Audio I've made a number of system upgrades; Schitt Modi Multibit DAC, PS Audio Ultimate Outlet, JJ 2A3 power tubes, Sys. Concepts digital cable and iFi S/PDIF iPurifier reclocker/jitter filter. Couldn't be more pleased with the performance and bang for buck value the Schiit Modi Multibit provides IMS.

The iFi was only received yesterday. Until it stabilizes the full benefit won't be realized but straight out of the box I was making unexpected discoveries from familiar source [pleasant discoveries]. For my 9k system it was easy to appreciate where the extra $800 [total cost of all 5 upgrades] went. At this very early stage I'm unable to measure the value of the iFi but thus far IMS it's not a component I would suggest is critical to the performance of the Multibit.

The iFi reduces the noise floor even further, something that wasn't lacking in my system previously. While sibilance wasn't minimized to the level I was hoping it was reduced. Overall there was a greater cohesiveness to the presentation that made you rely less on the suspension of disbelief to lose yourself into the music. The supplied PS is plugged into the Hydra PLC.

Speaking of line conditioners, the Multibit PS is plugged into the PS Audio PLC which in turn is daisy-chained into the Shunyata Hydra PLC. The only other component in the chain [tube amp] is plugged straight into the Michael Brinkman Acme Audio 15amp silver-plated 'Cryo-treated' duplex [along with the Hydra].

index.php

Here's a photo of the iFi S/PDIF iPurifier [Bifrost DAC]. The Multibit is configured in a similar way; coaxial in / toslink out.

Dec 10, 2016 at 6:14 PM Post #265 of 560
Six month update: In my case it was only $800, after picking up a couple of CCA pucks.

Since the acquisition of the Chromecast Audio I've made a number of system upgrades; Schitt Modi Multibit DAC, PS Audio Ultimate Outlet, JJ 2A3 power tubes, Sys. Concepts digital cable and iFi S/PDIF iPurifier reclocker/jitter filter. Couldn't be more pleased with the performance and bang for buck value the Schiit Modi Multibit provides IMS.

The iFi was only received yesterday. Until it stabilizes the full benefit won't be realized but straight out of the box I was making unexpected discoveries from familiar source [pleasant discoveries]. For my 9k system it was easy to appreciate where the extra $800 [total cost of all 5 upgrades] went. At this very early stage I'm unable to measure the value of the iFi but thus far IMS it's not a component I would suggest is critical to the performance of the Multibit.

The iFi reduces the noise floor even further, something that wasn't lacking in my system previously. While sibilance wasn't minimized to the level I was hoping it was reduced. Overall there was a greater cohesiveness to the presentation that made you rely less on the suspension of disbelief to lose yourself into the music. The supplied PS is plugged into the Hydra PLC.

Speaking of line conditioners, the Multibit PS is plugged into the PS Audio PLC which in turn is daisy-chained into the Shunyata Hydra PLC. The only other component in the chain [tube amp] is plugged straight into the Michael Brinkman Acme Audio 15amp silver-plated 'Cryo-treated' duplex [along with the Hydra].

index.php

Here's a photo of the iFi S/PDIF iPurifier [Bifrost DAC]. The Multibit is configured in a similar way; coaxial in / toslink out.

So you think the modi multibit, is OK? My dilemma is Bifrost multibit or modi multibit. Seriously considering a major sell off to fund a yggdrasil, just go the whole hog and be done with it.

I had an awesome sound coming off the CCA optical into AGD reclocker into an AGD Reference 7 PCM1704UK dac.

Why does anyone still bother with DS dacs?

Dec 18, 2016 at 9:51 AM Post #266 of 560

Anyone try the ethernet adapter? Compare / contrast vs wi-fi.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back