Chromecast audio - can anyone comment on sound quality?
May 28, 2016 at 4:01 PM Post #175 of 560
Picked up CCA  a few days ago and initially was having major drop out issues. This was with Samsung Avant / Poweramp [FLAC] with a generic  RCA>3.5MM "Y" adapter coupled to the O.E.M. [yellow] cable. Replaced the generic "Y" adapter with a KabelDirekt (0,5 ft) (1 x 3.5mm female to 2 x RCA male) - PRO Series "Y" adapter and problem solved [OEM cable still in the loop]. This combo is feeding my Denon AVR / Signet sl260 speakers / home theatre. SQ is impressive, limited by the source material and to a lesser extent the Signets. * 

Next up I switched the RCA cable for optical cable. Initially the presentation was less refined but seems to be improving with more air time. **

Update: Due to the limited selection of supported apps I was using the "cast" feature. Then discovered the UPnP Monkey app, purchased the BubbleUPnP for DLNA/Chromecast app and began streaming - MUCH Better! Haven't A/B'd analog vs toslink cable because the my current set up gives me no reason to. 

* These are mid-'90 [$500] speakers using source material I'm familiar compared to Silverline Audio [$4k] speakers. I'll have to snag another CCA and plug it into my SET tube amp/Silverline combo to see what it can really do.

** Definite improvement as I approached 10 hrs.

May 30, 2016 at 2:28 PM Post #176 of 560
I am trying to decide between Chromecast 2 and Chromecast Audio for my application.  I have a Pioneer Elite reciever /w HDMI I want to use to play music on speakers.  Currently using an aptX bluetooth unit via digital coax.  Is there any likely sound quality difference between CCA on optical versus CC2 on HDMI? Purely for music streaming.  The extra features on the CC2 are nice but only if it can pass a good clean PCM signal via the HDMI.

May 30, 2016 at 3:50 PM Post #177 of 560
  I am trying to decide between Chromecast 2 and Chromecast Audio for my application.  I have a Pioneer Elite reciever /w HDMI I want to use to play music on speakers.  Currently using an aptX bluetooth unit via digital coax.  Is there any likely sound quality difference between CCA on optical versus CC2 on HDMI? Purely for music streaming.  The extra features on the CC2 are nice but only if it can pass a good clean PCM signal via the HDMI.

YMMV as always.  I have and use both - the Chromecast Audio sounds better in my application.  Don't quote me on this, but I think Chromecast audio supports hi-res music whereas Chromecast does not?

May 30, 2016 at 4:29 PM Post #180 of 560
  Thanks for the input, is that on digital signal path for both?  

As well, On a 7.1 reciever, does the CC2 open up a full 7.1 PCM stream or does it switch to stereo PCM as needed?

Unfortunately, I don't know on your second question as I use a simple two channel setup.  I tested with digital path, but the Audio is pretty solid out of analog too.  Guess that will depend on how good your receiver's DAC is vs the Audio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back