Chromecast audio - can anyone comment on sound quality?
Mar 27, 2016 at 2:55 PM Post #141 of 560
The C C audio sounds great to me with my agk553s right now I have it wired up to my home stereo through the fiber optic cable & using bubble.Here is a image of my mobile rig using the cc audio.

Mar 27, 2016 at 6:15 PM Post #142 of 560
The C C audio sounds great to me with my agk553s right now I have it wired up to my home stereo through the fiber optic cable & using bubble.Here is a image of my mobile rig using the cc audio.

Just wondering...  

My headphones (Sennheiser HD650, AudioTechnica ATH A700, and RHA MA750) all sound better when plugged directly into the CCA than they do when the CCA is feeding the analog inputs of my desktop DAC/headphone amp. The CCA alone (with "Full Dynamic Range" turned ON in settings) has plenty of volume to drive even the 300 Ohm HD650, and does it with dynamics and quickness that belie it's size and cost. And the ATH A700 actually sound better driven by the CCA than they have with anything else. Also, the digital volume control in the CCA behaves very well, having no adverse effects on the sound quality even when set all the way down to 1/4 of maximum. 

Have you tried your headphones plugged directly into the CCA instead of feeding it through your FiiO? How does the sound compare?

I'm thinking that in my case there must be some sort of mis-match between the CCA analog output and the line-level inputs of the amp. 

Of course the sound quality is superb when using the CCA optical output into the DAC/amp.

What we need next is a CCA with USB output to take advantage of all the nice USB DAC/amps out there. Are you listening Google?

Mar 28, 2016 at 5:46 PM Post #146 of 560
I'm just curious, do you have the HDR option turned on? When I have it off, I agree the sound quality is poor.

I would not have believed that the CCA could drive the HD650 at all, expecting the same sound quality I get with a smartphone - i.e. unacceptable. But I have a policy of trying every combination. I was shocked that it never needs more than 3/4 volume to play really loud. Most recordings are plenty loud at about 1/2 volume. And the sound is not at all wimpy, but rather full bodied and dynamic.

Mar 28, 2016 at 7:20 PM Post #147 of 560
I'm just curious, do you have the HDR option turned on? When I have it off, I agree the sound quality is poor.

I would not have believed that the CCA could drive the HD650 at all, expecting the same sound quality I get with a smartphone - i.e. unacceptable. But I have a policy of trying every combination. I was shocked that it never needs more than 3/4 volume to play really loud. Most recordings are plenty loud at about 1/2 volume. And the sound is not at all wimpy, but rather full bodied and dynamic.

Yes i tested it with HDR on. You are right, its kinda surprising the unit is able to drive the HD650, although by no means i would caracterize the sound as full bodied. More like kinda sterile and lackluster imo.

Apr 17, 2016 at 12:45 PM Post #149 of 560
Bought a Chromecast Audio today to use as a remote digital endpoint. Running mini toslink to toslink to my Schiit Yggdrasil.

The first thing I noticed immediately was the potato sound. Figured it was the A/C, it was the A/C.
Powering the CCA with a battery pack, potato sound gone. Hope this impression helps others using it as a digital offboard.

Apr 17, 2016 at 1:07 PM Post #150 of 560
  The first thing I noticed immediately was the potato sound. Figured it was the A/C, it was the A/C.
Powering the CCA with a battery pack, potato sound gone. Hope this impression helps others using it as a digital offboard.

Hmm, I use both of mine exclusively as  digital sources through toslkink powered by ac.  No potatoes (you mean like Harley Davidson Potato sound? I am sure that I an other users would have noticed that).

Perhaps the A/C adapter is defective, or exceptionally noise line, or some incompatiblity with that specific DAC when both are powered though AC. I just think others would have heard it if it was common. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back