Chromecast audio - can anyone comment on sound quality?
Jan 12, 2016 at 2:32 PM Post #121 of 560
  Right now I'm seeing locally available a used NAD 314 for €130, and a used Technics SU-X502 for €65. The NAD seems well-reviewed (I can't find any reviews on the other) so I'm assuming it's better quality, but it only has analog inputs, while the Technics has digital, too.

Do you think I would be better off with the NAD, even though it means using the CCA's own DAC/pre-amp, or going with the Technics' DAC? Thanks!

My vote is with the NAD for sure.    The NAD will have a better quality Amp, phono pre-amp, and everything else.   Like the NAD, the Technics is an older model (I could not figure out the year it was released).   DACs have changed a LOT more than amps in the last 10 years.   So, the one built into the CCAudio is likely significantly better than the one in the Technics...because of age, and because the Technics stuff then (unlike now) was not mostly high end.

The NAD should sound great with those speakers on all of the inputs.     Plus, if you decide later to add a DAC you still could.   The CCA sounds great without a DAC.  My Vote GoNad! (hmmm, made a joke there).

Jan 12, 2016 at 11:26 PM Post #122 of 560
Yeah NAD for sure. Don't discount cheap type D amps these days as amps, the high end ones from topping and smsl have power for days and sound genuinely amazing. As I just wanted an amp to be fed from my bifrost I went with a smsl and a topping in different parts of the house and both aren't even touched by anything I could buy locally for several times the price.

But when you need more features theres no question, the NAD is a great all in one product that won't disapoint.

Jan 16, 2016 at 7:43 PM Post #123 of 560
Used a battery pack and a pair of akg's streaming (subscribed) Pandora. Listened most of last night. Sounded very good. 

This morning A-B'd the main system I was hoping to move out of the living room, leaving only the amp and chromecast. No dice, streaming jriver flac's definitely sounds slightly better through a schitt wyrd modi. Not a lot better, but worth the effort.

Likewise my schitt Fulla, headphone amp, sounds slightly better streaming flacs then the chromecast audio. Pandora streams sound about the same with either device.

For portability and mp3 streams, I do not think chromecast audio can be beat. I plan on buying a couple more for syncronizing music through the whole house. Simply a great product for what it is. Especially for $35 a copy.

About me: Old and deaf, consumer grade equipment and +800 CD's ripped to flac.

Jan 16, 2016 at 8:07 PM Post #124 of 560
  Simply a great product for what it is. Especially for $35 a copy.

Have you tried the Chromecast optical out into one of your dacs?    Not clear from your description.  

The best sound on the Chromecast is definitely thorugh the optical out.  I do not think the issue is so much the chromecast DAC, which is pretty slick, but the preamp/headphone amp analog sections. 

Jan 17, 2016 at 2:55 AM Post #125 of 560
I'm experiencing constant drop outs with my CCA, anyone else having the same issue?

Any ideas on a solution is welcome. I've restarted it and made the set up process multiple times.

Jan 17, 2016 at 4:27 AM Post #128 of 560
Thanks for the reply. I do use the optical out on mine and it seems as if that could be a part of the problem.

I did actually change my router before Christmas but the problem still exists.

I'm pretty sure that buffersize is not the problem but rather the network in some way. I use Bubbleupnp as casting up and I get an error message there saying "Chromecast error" when it stops working........

Jan 22, 2016 at 1:24 PM Post #130 of 560
Just found this thread. Quick question...

I've just bought the new ifi Audio iCAN SE amp, and I'd like to use it with the chromecast.

My 2 options

Option 1) Optical - This Dac (FIIO D03K) then connect to the iCAN SE 

or

Option 2) 3.5mm to Phono plugs Cable > iCAN SE (this would use the chromecast as the dac?)

I will be using BubbleUPnP for FLACS and Google music the rest of the time.

Jan 22, 2016 at 3:20 PM Post #131 of 560
  Just found this thread. Quick question...

I've just bought the new ifi Audio iCAN SE amp, and I'd like to use it with the chromecast.

My 2 options

Option 1) Optical - This Dac (FIIO D03K) then connect to the iCAN SE 

or

Option 2) 3.5mm to Phono plugs Cable > iCAN SE (this would use the chromecast as the dac?)

I will be using BubbleUPnP for FLACS and Google music the rest of the time.

Certainly try Option 2 first. The Chromecast Audio DAC is really quite good and the cable doesn't cost much. It may be completely satisfactory.

As far as Option 1 goes, I have a cheap DAC very similar to the Fiio and have not been impressed with it's audio performance when connected to my desktop headphone amp. It's analog output is about of the same quality as my laptop - i.e. not very good - and no where near the quality of the Chromecast. The FIIO is mostly intended to be used to connect a TV digital output to an older analog stereo receiver. The FIIO may be better than the one I have, but it is not sold as a hi-fi component.

If it was me, I'd go with Option 1 and save up until I could get a DAC on the same quality level as the excellent iCAN.

Jan 29, 2016 at 10:32 PM Post #132 of 560
using bubble upnp on the chromecast audio to stream tidal and connected my Senn HD650 (mobius cable) direct to it. Wow the chromecast audio drives it with plenty of power to spare. Amazing.

Feb 9, 2016 at 8:12 AM Post #133 of 560
Question: I have my CCA running into NAD C356BEE via RCA. I am looking at buying an external DCA with Coaxial and Optical inputs allowing me to channel CCA and TV through NAD amp. To those that own a Schiit DAC - what would you recommend? Is the Modi 2 Uber significantly better sound quality than CCA via RCA? Is it worth doubling-down and saving the pennies to buy a Bifrost? Curious about people's experience.

Cheers

Feb 26, 2016 at 3:34 PM Post #134 of 560
In case this is of interest to those in the UK, both Curry's and Argos are selling the cc audio for £15 right now. I picked one up and echo an early post - it drives headphones surprisingly well! My dt 770 pro 80 ohms sound great through it.

Oh, and recent updates to it added multiroom capability - you can cast the same music to multiple cc audios.

Mar 19, 2016 at 10:59 PM Post #135 of 560
just a quick comment of my experience with the unit. i've been shelving it for months since i havent really been into the whole cloud streaming stuff. i decided to give it a shot, since i kinda had enough of my kardon bluetooth in the office. with my z1 (2013) and android 5.1.1 google play music sucks mayor ass, i just cant have a decent performance, although i get good audio, the app just disconnects and i loose control over the playing and scrobbling (lat.fm). with chrome browser cast, everything runs really smooth, i love it. i've been having no problems with localcast and bubbleupnp for local streaming either.

i love this unit, this is the perfect solution for my listening at the office.

im sold on cloud streaming too, not going back. hopefully im not too late for the party.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back