Chrome exclusive-mode-audio
Dec 23, 2014 at 10:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

ShrikeT

New Head-Fier
I've strangely never seen this mentioned before on here, considering how many people use Chrome to play music via streaming services, but Chrome has supported WASAPI for a while now via a command line parameter. Add "exclusive-mode-audio" to the executable path in your Chrome shortcut, and any app that uses the WebAudio API (like Google Music All Access) will fetch your audio devices hardware sample rate and create an exclusive mode audio stream on your default audio device using WASAPI. As you can see here, it's a couple years old and from my testing (on the Chrome beta channel) works very reliably. 

https://src.chromium.org/viewvc/chrome?revision=148731&view=revision

So digging through it a bit more, it looks like exclusive mode forces 16/48000 instead of using your hardware setting, but honestly thats probably for the best since it eliminates all upsampling in the chain.

Jun 10, 2015 at 5:36 PM Post #2 of 4
  I've strangely never seen this mentioned before on here, considering how many people use Chrome to play music via streaming services, but Chrome has supported WASAPI for a while now via a command line parameter. Add "exclusive-mode-audio" to the executable path in your Chrome shortcut, and any app that uses the WebAudio API (like Google Music All Access) will fetch your audio devices hardware sample rate and create an exclusive mode audio stream on your default audio device using WASAPI. As you can see here, it's a couple years old and from my testing (on the Chrome beta channel) works very reliably. 

https://src.chromium.org/viewvc/chrome?revision=148731&view=revision

So digging through it a bit more, it looks like exclusive mode forces 16/48000 instead of using your hardware setting, but honestly thats probably for the best since it eliminates all upsampling in the chain.

How do you add that code to the shortcut path?

Jun 21, 2015 at 7:13 AM Post #3 of 4
Thanks for sharing this. 

How do you add that code to the shortcut path?

There is also a dash before. Like this:

For me it uses whatever I set in the Default Format in the advanced tab of the playback device properties. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back