Christmas Upgrade (Will HD650 run okay with Total Bithead?)
Dec 14, 2007 at 5:39 AM Post #31 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vandal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
FYI the HD650 is discounted on Head-Fi. So its not 400$ but more like 350.
Why don't you try bhphotovideo? I think they have it at 330$

Reagrds your other query on Headroom there is a bundle offer consisting of the total bithead/airhead + HD650 + bag. Would they really offer such a bundle if it wouldn't drive the cans properly?

I noticed the K701 was bundled with a desktop amp - testimony that they're harder to drive despite the lower impedance.

One of my colleagues has a total bithead, and I'm getting myself the Senn, so I should find out in just over a month...

Of course. They are in a business to make money. I'd doubt they'd say, the 650's will sound subpar with the bithead, but still buy the package. people like reassurance before spending a size able amount of cash.

Dec 14, 2007 at 8:17 AM Post #32 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by CAMiasm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1. Isn't that what the Bithead is? Why buy something so similar to what I already have?

because these things include dacs comparable to those in $200 equipment, while the bithead absolutely does not. Those dacs will still be valuable when you stop using the built-in cmoy-level amp in a way that the bithead's dac can't really go any further than it has.

Quote:

I think I'm going to "get a better amp, say a little dot, lunchbox, arietta, headfive or something comparable on the FS forum, a pair of HD[650], and try using the bithead as a preamped dac."

Quote:

Originally Posted by charley phogg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The TBH can't be used that way. It only has line in and 1 usb port along with 2 headphoneouts.

Two things: 1., charley, you're wrong, and I even have an email from Jamey at head-fi from my early headphone days saying that the bithead can indeed be used as a preamped dac. There is a difference between a headphone out and a line out, but not necessarily a huge one. Depends on implementation.

2. Nevertheless, CAMiasm, don't skip over my next phrase after the quote: might not work too well. My theoretically best dac chip is in my Hippohifi bloat, which is also an amp. Fed into my Lunchbox, it sounds terrible. Fed into a home receiver/amp, it sounds great. You never know until you try the combo. It's tricky, and though it may work fine, I can't vouch for it.

Quote:

I listen to mp3s exclusively. High quality mp3s (v0), but they're still mp3s. I also watch movies with audio like "161 kb/s (79/ch, stereo) VBR". This isn't exactly the highest quality audio. Is it a waste to buy such expensive gear if I'm going to be listening to compressed stuff?

No, good equipment will still sound better than bad equipment even with extremely low bitrate mp3s. This isn't to say that you shouldn't also start trying to improve your digital library, but otherwise it's not an issue for the rest of this question.

Dec 14, 2007 at 4:32 PM Post #33 of 33
I just bought the Sennheiser HD650!

I got them from HeadRoom's B-Stock for $315 (+$10 shipping). It was in the B-Stock because some guy bought it and there was a speck of silver paint on one of the earcups, so he sent it back.

My plan is to get these and use them with my Bithead until I can upgrade my amp/dac.

Thanks to all the responses. It was Electron Tube's that put me over the edge; he made a lot of sense to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back