Christmas Upgrade (Will HD650 run okay with Total Bithead?)
Dec 13, 2007 at 8:59 AM Post #16 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ogresmash /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you including the cash you could get from selling the PA2v2/Total Bithead into your budget? You're probably looking at an additional $150 if not, and there are tons of good setups you could get for $500.

Considering getting some used HD580s or HD600s instead of the HD650s and that would cut off $100, leaving around $300 for your source and amp. At that price range, maybe pick up a Little Dot amplifier (about $150-$200 depending on the model), they sound really really nice with the HD580/600/650s. As for the DAC, I don't know what's good around $100-$150, but I'm sure you could get something that's much better than your onboard audio and probably better than the Total Bithead.

I intend to give my old stuff to my little brother.

Dec 13, 2007 at 9:05 AM Post #17 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by CAMiasm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You guys must be so sick of newbies like me coming in here and bringing up the same topic time and time again. Poor guys.

Nonsense. That's a large part of the reason why this forum thrives. People enjoy giving advice and sucking people into this wallet-crushing habit.

Dec 13, 2007 at 9:05 AM Post #18 of 33
Quote:

I bought the Bithead with no intention of it ever moving it. I bought it hastily because it was an amp and a DAC. I had recently switched computers and my laptop's onboard sound was poopy.

Are there other amps/DACs that can beat the Bithead for around the same price ($150)? If so, can you list some of them?

In that case you might wanna go second hand and look around here or on audiogon.

^^ I did say he won't realise the full potential of the hd650, his amp being the bottleneck.

Or you could go with something like the hd595 - which would do well on the TBH. You'd save pretty penny too.

Nope - no new amp in the 150$ range comes to mind. Do google and check up on the Little Dot amps though. They're chinese made but quite good from what members say

btw I'm planning on a LD Micro Tube amp with my hd650 as my new setup

edit: Ahh Ogresmash beat me to the LD advice. I second that!

@ DAC - Buy an X-Fi, do the mod
smily_headphones1.gif

linky: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f46/ho...no-56k-226975/

Dec 13, 2007 at 10:15 AM Post #19 of 33
Quote:

I have $350 that I want to spend right now on headphone junk. What should I spend my money on to get the "best" sound quality? I own an AKG K 501 (they're falling apart and need a new wire), a Total Bithead, and a Pocket Amp 2 v2 (haven't used it since getting Bithead). All this stuff is going into my laptop that has ****ty onboard sound, so I need a DAC (ruling out PA2v2). What should I spend my money on to get the "best" sound quality? I cannot spend $350 on the headphones then $500 on an amp that (in your eyes) will drive them properly. Should I just wait until I can spend that much money and get the HD650/amp together? What sounds better coming out of a Total Bithead, K501 or HD650?

I realize that the Bithead is not the best thing in the world for an HD650, but think that an HD650 will sound better than a K501 through the Bithead. I will probably buy a better desktop amp/dac down the road if I get an HD650, but right now for $350, keeping in mind what I already own, what should I do to get the best sound quality? I'm under the impression that it's buying an HD650 and running it through the Bithead I already own.

This is poorly written and I apologize for making you read it 3 times to figure out what I'm saying!

Alright, I'm trying to get my mind into this situation a little better. First, sorry but I think your current rig is a complete loss. The K501 could be grand with the cash put toward an amp and dac, but it sounds like they're toast, and the bithead and pa2v2 are best relegated to the portable use they were made for. You can do better for a home system.

Now, it seems your budget for now is not enough for headphones, amp, and dac if you follow the normal route. However, I think there are still two good paths you could take: the sensible route and the one people will think is crazy.

1. sensible route: you get headphones and either amp or dac, and something to act as placeholder for the missing unit. This could mean you get something like a Beresford dac or an E-mu 0404 usb, well-known cheap dac options that include okay headphone amp sections which will do until you get a proper amp. This option would favor headphones easier to drive than the HD600/650, so that you get more of the potential from the placeholder amp. On the other hand, you could get a better amp, say a little dot, lunchbox, arietta, headfive or something comparable on the FS forum, a pair of HD600, and try using the bithead as a preamped dac. Might not work too well, but at least this way you could have your senns.

2. the crazy route: have it all. Get what I did, a Super Pro 707 USB dac for $110 which has great parts but a very minimal implementation (it's also tiny), and a Stax SR-001 from Audiocubes2 for $239. If you can stand the weirdo in-ear Stax design, you'll get stunning sound quality and get the amp, dac, and headphones all for $350. But you're not even going to consider that path, now are you?

Dec 13, 2007 at 11:00 AM Post #20 of 33
Skimming here, but I have a bithead and it can drive an IPOD/650 combo (the bithead is great for the $$$). I also have a Channel Islands headphone amp and power supply (has a switch for low impedence/high impedence headphones) which easily drive the IPOD/650 combo. Yes, it's better (similar to the headroom micro and DAC) than the bithead but less portable and more expensive. (Note: the 650s are not as hard to drive as one might guess.)

With the IPOD (5.5; 320bits), line out, Channel Islands amp/power supply and 650s, I get very good results. Going smaller, I use the Emmerline SR-71 for portability as it is better than the bithead --- as well as pricier.

Good luck.

P.S. It's the music, not the tech.

Dec 13, 2007 at 2:10 PM Post #21 of 33
You can go a few different routes:

1. You could get the 650s now, and look forward to maybe getting an upgrade for them (source and amp) down the line and hearing them as if they were new all over again. Also, if you're set on the 650s, buying used is the way to go, imo. If you end up not liking them, you can turn around and sell them for little or no loss.

2. Rather than the 650s, you could pick up a used, or even new, pair of 580s (I think you can still find a pair or two new of the 580s on ebay for under $200) or 600s, which, imo, seem to do better with portable amps/sources than the 650s. I use my 600s with a portable amp as a bedroom rig sometimes. It's not an ideal solution, but it's enjoyable enough and comfy. Again, you can maybe look forward to upgrading down the line, but you'll start out with more money than spending all $300 on headphones. Also, you'll get a chance to hear the Senn sound and decide if it's for you without breaking the bank.

3. You can look at facelvega's recommendations for re-doing everything, and do some more research towards that end.

4. If you're looking to be happy with what you already have (the Bithead), I actually recommend different headphones. I recently purchased the ATH-ESW9s. The aren't as refined as the 650s, but may actually sound better than the 650s when using a Bithead. I'm very happy with this purchase, and (new toy syndrome) haven't touched my other headphones for a few days. They also have the advantage of being closed and portable (best of both). You can use the Bithead with your computer, or take them out with you. The sq is really very good, and they are seriously comfortable right out of the box. I've bought a few new headphones I instantly didn't like. These are keepers. If you primarily listen to a lot of hard rock or metal, I would not recommend these, but for acoustic, jazz, chamber, pop, etc., they're wonderful, and the Bithead can drive them with no problem. They'll also wipe out your entire $300
tongue.gif

AudioCubes.com - Audio-Technica ATH-ESW9 Sovereign Wood Headphones -

4. There are also other headphones (Grado for example) that may suit you more, depending on the music you listen to, but do some research, as you seem to be doing now.

BTW, newbie questions such as yours are always welcome, and I'm actually impressed that you're asking the right questions before buying rather than just grabbing a headphone then wondering why it doesn't sound as good as every else is claiming it does.

Good luck with whatever you decide, and happy listening!

Dec 13, 2007 at 2:56 PM Post #22 of 33
If your set on the HD650s, then by all mean proceed. They have a tremendous amount of upside. You could definitely spend your Head-FI career building a rig around them. Im going to throw out another can. The Denon D-2000 is under your budget, does not require an amp and have been favorably compared as closed HD600s.

Dec 13, 2007 at 3:19 PM Post #23 of 33
I don't think buying HD650s for a Total Bithead is a terrible idea. They won't sound "bad." They'll definitely sound better than PX-100 + Total Bithead and some of the other stuff that's been mentioned here.

Will they sound anywhere near as good as HD650s can with better source and amp? No. Are they overkill if you're stopping your equipment investment here? Yeah, probably; in that case an HD580 or something would make more sense.

But if you plan on continuing to acquire better sources and amps over time (and that upgrading is almost the defining activity of the audio hobby) then the rest of your setup will eventually grow into the HD650s. And in the meantime -- like right now, just paired with the Total Bithead -- you'll have something pretty nice to listen to.

Dec 13, 2007 at 4:52 PM Post #24 of 33
^^ I like the sound of buying the HD650 and then spending money gradually getting your rig up to its standards
smily_headphones1.gif

Eventually when your source and amp are up to it, you will want the best can right?

Dec 13, 2007 at 5:41 PM Post #25 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by fkclo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To cut it short, the TBH is NOT the amp for HD650, regardless of how well it scales. Get a pair of ER6i or ER4P or PX100, that would work better.

F. Lo

I forgot to mention that I own an ER6i and dislike them. Now that you mention it, I may very well sell my 80gb iPod 5.5 and my ER6i. That could be $250 potentially.

Quote:

Originally Posted by facelvega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now, it seems your budget for now is not enough for headphones, amp, and dac if you follow the normal route. However, I think there are still two good paths you could take: the sensible route and the one people will think is crazy.

1. sensible route: you get headphones and either amp or dac, and something to act as placeholder for the missing unit. This could mean you get something like a Beresford dac or an E-mu 0404 usb, well-known cheap dac options that include okay headphone amp sections which will do until you get a proper amp This option would favor headphones easier to drive than the HD600/650, so that you get more of the potential from the placeholder amp. On the other hand, you could get a better amp, say a little dot, lunchbox, arietta, headfive or something comparable on the FS forum, a pair of HD600, and try using the bithead as a preamped dac. Might not work too well, but at least this way you could have your senns.

2. the crazy route: have it all. But you're not even going to consider that path, now are you?

1. Isn't that what the Bithead is? Why buy something so similar to what I already have?
2. not even gonna consider it, sorry! i don't like IEMs and those look like IEMs with a strap.
frown.gif

ty for being creative, though
smily_headphones1.gif

----

Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can go a few different routes:

1. You could get the 650s now, and look forward to maybe getting an upgrade for them (source and amp) down the line and hearing them as if they were new all over again.

2. Rather than the 650s, you could pick up a used, or even new, pair of 580s (I think you can still find a pair or two new of the 580s on ebay for under $200) or 600s, which, imo, seem to do better with portable amps/sources than the 650s.

3. You can look at facelvega's recommendations for re-doing everything, and do some more research towards that end.

4. If you're looking to be happy with what you already have (the Bithead), I actually recommend different headphones. I recently purchased the ATH-ESW9s.

AudioCubes.com - Audio-Technica ATH-ESW9 Sovereign Wood Headphones -

4. There are also other headphones (Grado for example) that may suit you more, depending on the music you listen to, but do some research, as you seem to be doing now.

1. learning towards
2. i already have a k501. they just need a new cable; would 580s be that much better? i'm looking for a marked improvement!
3. will do
4. no ty. I don't like to listen to music when I'm not sitting down and in a distraction-free environment, so portability doesn't matter.

Dec 13, 2007 at 5:45 PM Post #26 of 33
After reading head-fi for a solid 10 hours over the last few days, I feel I have enough information to make a decision.

I think I'm going to "get a better amp, say a little dot, lunchbox, arietta, headfive or something comparable on the FS forum, a pair of HD[650], and try using the bithead as a preamped dac."

I'll post what I did in a few days. Thanks for all the help.
biggrin.gif

Dec 13, 2007 at 5:53 PM Post #27 of 33
I have a question that I probably should've asked earlier.

I listen to mp3s exclusively. High quality mp3s (v0), but they're still mp3s. I also watch movies with audio like "161 kb/s (79/ch, stereo) VBR". This isn't exactly the highest quality audio. Is it a waste to buy such expensive gear if I'm going to be listening to compressed stuff?

Dec 14, 2007 at 3:35 AM Post #28 of 33
@CAMiasm
not really, the point is with your equipment you can enjoy the music and other entertainment better

Dec 14, 2007 at 5:33 AM Post #30 of 33
Quote:

I've read a ton of threads and feel that that's useless. Almost every thread contradicts the one I read prior, so I'm going to make my own thread and get responses tailored to me!

I own AKG K501 and HeadRoom Total Bithead. My K501s are old and are beginning to fall apart (pads loose, cable coming out of headphone, etc), so I want to upgrade.

I have $300 ($350 MAX) to spend and want some new "cans". I'm leaning towards Sennheiser HD650 over AKG K701 largely because of the reviews on HeadRoom and my horrifying experiences with AKG customer service. I want to know if the Total Bithead can "drive" such high-end headphones. Can it?

I don't know if this matters, but I will be listening to a wide variety of music (I want the best overall headphone for any genre) and movies. I'll be using these with my computer. My plan is computer -> total bithead -> headphones.

Is buying such a high-end headphone to be used with a low-end amplifier a waste?

Thanks

Also: HD650s are $400+ on HeadRoom/Amazon, but can be found for $320 on eBay. Do you think it's okay to buy them on eBay? Both vendors have extremely good records.

Thanks again!

Will it drive them? Yes. Will it drive them very well? No.. But if you have nothing to compare it to, I'm sure you will think it sounds fine with the Headroom. You can buy a pair used for under 250.00 at this site.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back