Christmas gift for sister who wants best headphones for air travel - getting her Bose QC15 and Etymotic ER-4PT?
Nov 9, 2013 at 1:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

RollsDownWindowsManually

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

My sister travels a lot and wants something good for listening on airliners.  I'm thinking of getting her both the QC15 and ER-4PT for christmas so she can try both and use whichever she prefers.  Would also be wiling to get her the QC3 if those are better than the QC15.

Do you think these are the two best options out there or should I look at something else?

Personally I dislike (okay, despise) bose but they're what she wants and I know since she sees everyone else wearing them she'll be disappointed if she doesn't get a Bose set.  I already have a 5 year old ER-4P for myself and love the damned things, but realize not everyone can tolerate deep IEM insertion.

Thanks.

Nov 9, 2013 at 2:08 AM Post #2 of 4
I think you made a good choice to get both and return the one that is not desired.  I've owned many active noise cancellation headphones and still give props to Bose.  The problem I see with the Etys is the same that you called out - deep fit and possibly too much isolation, and the slight hassle of insertion/removal.

I had both Bose models and for long term comfort, the QC15 wins hands down as they surround the ear vs the Q3 that sits on them, which for me made a big difference for 5+ hr coast to coast and international flights.  

Now, like you, I would take the Etys any day or night.

Forgot about the other Ety option, get them and also get the custom sleeves to make the fit and comfort a non-issue.

Nov 9, 2013 at 3:35 AM Post #3 of 4
Thanks.  I might just get her to try my ER-4P with a clean set of foamies and see how she likes them.  If she hates them, I will just get her the bose.  The bad thing is you can't really find out how great the ER-4 is on an airplane without being on one and trying it.  Of course they've become my default go-to headphone for critical sound quality listening in any environment over the years, not just while traveling.  I've listened to them for about 4 hours today.

Nov 9, 2013 at 4:34 AM Post #4 of 4
Bose can offer best NC. but look somewhere, if SQ is main concern

Users who are viewing this thread

Back