christian/gospel music genre - recommendations
Oct 30, 2006 at 3:29 PM Post #46 of 207
I'll throw out another strong recommendation for the David Crowder Band. The music is tight, well produced, and the writing strong. Crowder's voice is different, but intoxicating. Lyrics aren't your typical cheesy Christian stuff, there is real metaphorical meat here. Their newest release (A Collision or 3+4=7) is probably the best straight Christian (that is excluding Christ-influenced) release I've heard in a few years. Give it a listen.

Oct 30, 2006 at 3:48 PM Post #47 of 207
I dont understand the whole Christ influenced part of your post scotty
confused.gif

I listen to Christian music but not much in the contemporary department. Maybe some casting crowns(which they do great concerts) or some third day.

I am more of a metal head and need my Christian music in the metal department
rs1smile.gif

Oct 31, 2006 at 7:36 PM Post #48 of 207
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus
That has been my experience as well. The audience tends to be so small (at least in relative terms) that most of the contemporary Christian music I've heard to date has been terribly underproduced, and often rather sophomoric in terms of the depth of the stuctures that it's being built on.

More often than not, the focus is primarily on the "feel good" messages that they're trying to portray with the lyrics. Although this is great in and of itself, it leaves the listener wanting for more, musically speaking. Dare I say that the other problem that I see is that it's hard to get good recomendations for contemporary Christian music because most of the listeners are likewise more focused on the message than the music (and the vast majority are not typically 'audiophiles' by any stretch of the imagination).

Sadly, this means that I've been disappointed on a number of occasions when buying CD's based on recommendations I've received here at Head-Fi (there have been a number of similar threads in the past) and elsewhere on the net. I'd really like to find some real gems in this genre that I can listen to more than once before filing them! About the best I've come across are the (rather bland) "Wow!" series. If nothing else, they do present a nice cross section, and the cleaning lady sure likes them when she's here... seems to know every word to every song, and as awful as her squeeky voice is, I get a kick out of listening to her try to sing, often skipping over a few words here and there, struggling to remember all of the lyrics and slapping herself in the head for any mistakes she makes, only to recover with a smile as she gets the next verse right.

I find Mute math and David Crowder more "music" driven but like all things its my opinion. I have to be a audiophile to have spent this much money on audio stuff.

Oct 31, 2006 at 7:51 PM Post #49 of 207
Christian music? This reminds me of my other interest in music. Does anyone know good albums of Gregorianic style choir music? You know, those big church/monk choirs and all.

...and if someone mentions Gregorian i crucify him to the spot.
evil_smiley.gif

This IS still in the topic, right?

Oct 31, 2006 at 9:02 PM Post #50 of 207
Quote:

Originally Posted by reivaj
I dont understand the whole Christ influenced part of your post scotty
confused.gif

I would call Christian music that which deals directly with the message of the gospel.

I would distinguish that from Christ-influenced music, which is Christian musicians making music that contains Christian elements and themes without direct reference to Christianity or the scripture. (U2, Sufjan Stevens, etc.)

Nov 10, 2006 at 11:57 PM Post #54 of 207
a bit off topic but there are great Christian metal/rock bands like Norma Jean, the Chariot, Underoath, The Showdown, Showbread a whole slew of great music out there to expore

Nov 19, 2006 at 7:19 AM Post #55 of 207
"Songs for Communion, 14 Songs of intimate worship" - Hillsong

A decently mixed album, mellower than those above, with a "warm" recording to suit the mode but with sufficient timbral delicacies to titillate ...

Nov 19, 2006 at 8:41 AM Post #56 of 207
I suggest you listen to secular bands. Its a pretty well known fact that despite the overwhelming Christian majority in the US, almost everyone prefers secular music because that is where all the talented songwriting is. Christian bands may be able to sing or play instruments but they write horrible songs. This is a scientific fact.

Nov 22, 2006 at 10:37 PM Post #57 of 207
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scotty757 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would call Christian music that which deals directly with the message of the gospel.

I would distinguish that from Christ-influenced music, which is Christian musicians making music that contains Christian elements and themes without direct reference to Christianity or the scripture. (U2, Sufjan Stevens, etc.)

gotcha thanks!

Nov 22, 2006 at 10:43 PM Post #58 of 207
So I've heard U2 mentioned a few times here. Of course I've heard lots of U2 singles on the radio and television throughout my life, but I have never owned any of their albums nor critically listened to their music. I bought my first U2 cd, The Joshua Tree, and so far am enjoying it. Can anyone tell me what tracks/albums they have that are particularly "Christian Influenced"? (to use Scotty's definition, which I think is accurate)

Nov 22, 2006 at 11:08 PM Post #59 of 207
Although I always want to like Christian music because of the message and content I seldom care for the tunes. I will say that The Benjamin Gate really impressed me and I highly recommend them. Not sure where they fit with respect to genre outside of the Christian but they lean more towards the rock/metal side... good stuff!

Nov 23, 2006 at 12:09 AM Post #60 of 207
I haven't been able to read all the posts before but there if you can get your hands on a number of Hosanna or Worship Music label music.

Here are some from my playlist:

Album / Artist
  1. Give Thanks / Don Moen
  2. High Places / Ron Kenoly
  3. iWorship Volumes / Various including Don Moen, Bob Fitts, Michael Smith
  4. Live from Another Level / Israel & New Breed
  5. Live in South Africa / Israel & New Breed
  6. Highest Place / Bob Fits
  7. Arise: A Celebration of Worship / Various

Of course if metal or Rock is the forte then the usual band of candidates (4Him, Jars of Clay, others).

And if "soul" worship is to your liking then:
  1. Pages of Life / Fred Hammond
  2. Psalms, Hymns & Spiritual Songs / Donnie McCurklin
  3. Invitation to Worship / Byron Cage
  4. Alone in His Presence / Cece Winans

Hope this helps

Users who are viewing this thread

Back