Chord Mojo, Windows 10, Tidal and sampling rates
Dec 17, 2020 at 3:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

redi1972

New Head-Fier
So I got myself a Chord Mojo today, and have been fiddling with it connected to a Windows 10 PC and using Tidal (HiFi sub).

I installed the Mojo 786kHz driver, set Tidal to allow exclusive use of the Mojo and enabled passthrough MQA. However, no matter what Master song I select (even that show 24/96kHz in the title or using 24/96kHz Tidal playlists) the Mojo never shows anything else than 44.1 or 48 kHz sampling rate (power button colour). Anyone know what's going on?

Dec 17, 2020 at 5:17 PM Post #2 of 9
So I got myself a Chord Mojo today, and have been fiddling with it connected to a Windows 10 PC and using Tidal (HiFi sub).

I installed the Mojo 786kHz driver, set Tidal to allow exclusive use of the Mojo and enabled passthrough MQA. However, no matter what Master song I select (even that show 24/96kHz in the title or using 24/96kHz Tidal playlists) the Mojo never shows anything else than 44.1 or 48 kHz sampling rate (power button colour). Anyone know what's going on?
I had the exact same issue. No matter what I did, I could not get a sampling rate higher than 48khz. Interestingly, when I connected my Bluesound Node 2i streamer to my Chord Mojo, I could get 96khz sampling rate. Not sure why. I did this as a test to see how much better streaming would be than USB. I concluded it makes a huge difference, so I ended up getting a poly after that experiment. However, I think that the Node 2i sounds better than the Poly, but I didn't bother doing anymore A/B testing after I got it.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2020 at 6:18 PM Post #3 of 9
Chord don´t believe in MQA...

Dec 18, 2020 at 3:18 AM Post #4 of 9
Chord don´t believe in MQA...
Could you elaborate? MQA is just a label, right? Right now I have a 24/96 FLAC file playing but the Mojo just sits at 48 kHz. I'm playing it on my phone using UAPP (Tidal add-in), it shows the file being 24/96 but the USB DAC at 48kHz. And playing the same title on my PC has the same. Now I could probably force 96kHz via the Windows audio config settings, but I don't want to change this manually each time.

EDIT Okay so the trick is to NOT enable passthrough MQA in Tidal, as indeed the Mojo does not like MQA. Now I'm getting proper 96 kHz indication on the Mojo, so problem solved I guess.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2020 at 3:53 AM Post #5 of 9
Dec 18, 2020 at 4:15 AM Post #6 of 9
Hardly. https://www.mqa.co.uk/newsroom/qa/what-is-mqa

Chord DACs don't decode MQA.

As I understand it, you will need to use the Tidal App but I'm not an expert as I don't use Tidal.
Indeed, the quarter dropped on my side (the option 'passthrough MQA' isn't called like that for nothing :)), see my edit in my posting above.

EDIT And to make the story complete, in the UAPP app used to playback Tidal content using the Mojo (or any DAC), one needs to purchase and activate ( :smirk: ) the 'bit perfect' addition to go beyond 44.1/48 kHz.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2020 at 4:54 AM Post #7 of 9
Could you elaborate? (...)

Not really, sorry. That's just what I've came to understand after some readings: Chord don't think MQa is good (enough), so they don't use/decode it.

Jan 13, 2021 at 12:07 AM Post #9 of 9
Indeed, the quarter dropped on my side (the option 'passthrough MQA' isn't called like that for nothing :)), see my edit in my posting above.

EDIT And to make the story complete, in the UAPP app used to playback Tidal content using the Mojo (or any DAC), one needs to purchase and activate ( :smirk: ) the 'bit perfect' addition to go beyond 44.1/48 kHz.
Correct, I use UAPP on a Nokia 7 plus using a SMSL m6 DAC, you can see it supports Chord mojo and Hugo in the link of supported devices. UAPP takes over control of the usb drivers in android and can drive them to 32/352khz as against standard 16/48khz of android drivers.

https://www.extreamsd.com/index.php/technology/usb-audio-driver

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back