Chord Mojo sound quality issues and solutions
Apr 7, 2018 at 11:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Kirill Ch

New Head-Fier
Good day for every one!
I bought Mojo one week ago. I like it but I have a question about sound quality. I would like to know whether it is my device has some issue with sound.
Some background: I have a musical education and can hear some difference in sound. I use headphones Meze 99. I use my Mojo with iPhone SE and Onkyo HF Player, also I tried Mojo with my Mac and JRiver.

There is a real difference between sound from 3.5mm headphone port without Mojo and from Lightning port with Mojo.
Due to Chord Mojo documentation: “Onkyo HF player can be used to support high resolution audio including DSD.”
When use USB audio connection with Apple Lightning to USB Camera Kit along with HF Player it is possible to get 24/192 resolution and DSD.

Mojo also change the color from red to “white” when change the resolution, I have checked this.

However here is the issue: I have bought one of my favorite album “Hans Zimmer - the Classics” on HDTracks in 24-bit / 96 kHz quality. Also I took mp3 version of this album from Google play. Then I set a number of tracks in pairs by mp3 and 24/96 quality in my HF Player. By listening these pairs lots of times I can say that they sound absolutely identical in my ear.
Mojo has changed the light color from red to green during changing the resolution but sounds identically to me.

Could anyone please advice me what might be the reason of this issue? Should I test my Mojo in some different way?

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2019 at 12:29 AM Post #2 of 4
Good day for every one!
I bought Mojo one week ago. I like it but I have a question about sound quality. I would like to know whether it is my device has some issue with sound.
Some background: I have a musical education and can hear some difference in sound. I use headphones Meze 99. I use my Mojo with iPhone SE and Onkyo HF Player, also I tried Mojo with my Mac and JRiver.

There is a real difference between sound from 3.5mm headphone port without Mojo and from Lightning port with Mojo.
Due to Chord Mojo documentation: “Onkyo HF player can be used to support high resolution audio including DSD.”
When use USB audio connection with Apple Lightning to USB Camera Kit along with HF Player it is possible to get 24/192 resolution and DSD.

Mojo also change the color from red to “white” when change the resolution, I have checked this.

However here is the issue: I have bought one of my favorite album “Hans Zimmer - the Classics” on HDTracks in 24-bit / 96 kHz quality. Also I took mp3 version of this album from Google play. Then I set a number of tracks in pairs by mp3 and 24/96 quality in my HF Player. By listening these pairs lots of times I can say that they sound absolutely identical in my ear.
Mojo has changed the light color from red to green during changing the resolution but sounds identically to me.

Could anyone please advice me what might be the reason of this issue? Should I test my Mojo in some different way?
I know this is an old post, but did you ever find out what caused this? I am considering getting a Mojo to use with my Sennheiser IE800. Would love to learn more about the Mojo.

Jul 25, 2019 at 3:30 AM Post #3 of 4
Good day,
from my personal opinion everyone should listen Mojo on his equipment and music before getting and trust his ears. My headphones Meze 99 is about 250$ - for this price range I would not recommend Mojo. May be on at least 500-600$ headphones Mojo might give a difference.

It is a great amplifier, small and powerful. I am going to use it for a high Omh headphones when get one. Now I listen music without Mojo.
As for a sound quality I found that CD one is pretty OK for me. I think - no more HiRes.
Also no headphone even close will replace a good music stationary system - I personally use such system mostly.

Jul 25, 2019 at 10:14 AM Post #4 of 4
Good day,
from my personal opinion everyone should listen Mojo on his equipment and music before getting and trust his ears. My headphones Meze 99 is about 250$ - for this price range I would not recommend Mojo. May be on at least 500-600$ headphones Mojo might give a difference.

It is a great amplifier, small and powerful. I am going to use it for a high Omh headphones when get one. Now I listen music without Mojo.
As for a sound quality I found that CD one is pretty OK for me. I think - no more HiRes.
Also no headphone even close will replace a good music stationary system - I personally use such system mostly.
Thank you so much for your reply.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back