Chord Mojo Loaner program signup and review thread!
Jan 18, 2016 at 1:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Todd

Headphone Vinyl Meister
Member of the Trade: TTVJ Audio
HI All,

We have a Chord Mojo that we are going to loan out to 5 people who sign up for the program. The rules are as follows... and if you don't write the review and put it in this thread, we will disqualify you from future loaner program participation!

Loaner Program Rules:

Send your name and address as well as a telephone number and  your Head-Fi user name to me at todd@ttvjaudio.com. Do NOT PM me as you will not be included in the program without an email.
You will get the loaner for 1 week to use in your home with your system. After your one week is up, you must send it to the next loaner participant. Email me (todd@ttvjaudio.com) the tracking info so I can pass it on to the recipient. Write a review and post it on Head-Fi in the loaner thread. It must be posted in the same thread as the announcement for the loaner program. Please do not post it somewhere else! Please email Todd when the review has been posted.
Once you have received the loaner, email me to let me know you have it and I will send the address for the next person.

We will be including our OTG micro USB B to Micro USB B cable for use with the loaner Mojo and now will also be including it with all Mojo purchases. That's a $19.95 value!!!

Look forward to your emails!

Todd

Jan 18, 2016 at 3:38 PM Post #2 of 24
HI All,

Not surprisingly, the program is now full. Here is the list of those who are in... and the order I expanded the list as I have a hard time saying not to those who sign up but I cannot add anyone else to the list. Soirry if you didn't sign up in time for this one but there will be more loaner programs in the future!

Mojo Loaner list:

Oneguy
Drbluenewmexico
Raybone0566
alpha421
yage
pesors
Valens7
silvrr

Utdeep
TomNC
Session76
Tuna47

Todd

Jan 18, 2016 at 8:54 PM Post #4 of 24
Still Todd, thanks for running your loaner programs.  I'll get a crack next time...

Jan 18, 2016 at 9:03 PM Post #5 of 24
  Still Todd, thanks for running your loaner programs.  I'll get a crack next time...

Yea man! You've done two already an it's not even Febuary yet! Thanks much my friend! 

Jan 19, 2016 at 1:23 AM Post #8 of 24
Don't feel badly if you missed out on the Mojo loaner program.   Just buy one from Todd.  I bought a Mojo sight unseen like a mail order bride.  It was the best purchase of my audio career.  Don't waste your time evaluating Mojo, buy it and enjoy it.  It's that good.  

Jan 19, 2016 at 8:48 AM Post #9 of 24
I'm not certain why you're looking for one on Singapore, there are so many shops with demo sets available in Singapore, where you can take your time to audition the mojo.

Yeah, but have you seen how loud these stores usually are? And how long can you listen to music in these stores - maybe an hour tops :)

Jan 19, 2016 at 9:15 AM Post #10 of 24
  HI All,

We have a Chord Mojo that we are going to loan out to 5 people who sign up for the program. The rules are as follows... and if you don't write the review and put it in this thread, we will disqualify you from future loaner program participation!

Loaner Program Rules:

Send your name and address as well as a telephone number and  your Head-Fi user name to me at todd@ttvjaudio.com. Do NOT PM me as you will not be included in the program without an email.
You will get the loaner for 1 week to use in your home with your system. After your one week is up, you must send it to the next loaner participant. Email me (todd@ttvjaudio.com) the tracking info so I can pass it on to the recipient. Write a review and post it on Head-Fi in the loaner thread. It must be posted in the same thread as the announcement for the loaner program. Please do not post it somewhere else! Please email Todd when the review has been posted.
Once you have received the loaner, email me to let me know you have it and I will send the address for the next person.

We will be including our OTG micro USB B to Micro USB B cable for use with the loaner Mojo and now will also be including it with all Mojo purchases. That's a $19.95 value!!!

Look forward to your emails!

Todd

Darn it, Todd, I got all excited only to find out that if I still lived in Seattle instead of the UK I could have a week with this little beauty. You make me miss the great Northwest even more, Todd. I admire all the lucky participants, as I have had about 2 hours with this beauty and know how good the DAC performance is.

Enjoy, everyone!
gs1000.gif

Jan 19, 2016 at 9:56 AM Post #11 of 24
Oh darn, I was so close to buying one of these and I simply need to hear this in person first before pulling the trigger. I missed out! darn!

Jan 19, 2016 at 12:08 PM Post #12 of 24
I bought one thinking that at $599 the downside risk was small.  It was selling like hotcakes so on the off chance I didn't like it I knew I could sell it.  It will as someone has said elsewhere be sold at my estate sale.

Feb 5, 2016 at 10:13 PM Post #13 of 24
I was given the great opportunity to demo the Chord Mojo from Todd of TTVJ. I would like to say thank you Todd for this amazing opportunity. Unfortunately I was sick for a large portion of the demo period and didn’t get to spend as much time with the Mojo as I had liked. :frowning2:

Most of long term DAC experience is has been with the LH Labs family of DACs. I have owned a Geek Out 720 and I currently own a Pulse infinity and Geek Out v2. As far as sonic preferences go I tend to home in on clarity and soundstage representation as the general markers that I listen for. But enough about the reviewer, lets get to the review.

Test Equipment: 
2013 MacBook Air (Audirvana) -> stock USB cable ->Chord Mojo -> Vero Full Range Dongle -> HD800
2013 MacBook Air (Audirvana) -> LH 2G USB cable ->(LPS4) Pulse Infinity -> Vero Full Range Dongle -> HD800

Four Tops - Bernadette (iTunes download)

Holy cow the energy. The Mojo imbues a phenomenal amount of energy to the music. It is fun and invigorating. It’s basically the reason why we all listen to music. To feel the emotion of the song. This little DAC/amp combo has it! The Pulse Infinity is isn’t a slouch either and does a good job by itself but I am amazed that this little number can best it in adding soul to the music. The Mojo also excels in spatial representation. The vocals and instruments seem more true to life in that they seem to have body instead of being flat. Another way to phrase it is the vocals have a smooth drop off in their lateral sound whereas with the Pulse Infinity it seems more digital (i.e. the sound truncates abruptly).

Islandsmoen: Requiem - Confutatis (24/352.8)

The music reproduction still has a decent amount of energy although does seem little on the dry side with the Mojo. The cymbal crash seem very well reconstructed with the Mojo which I think the Pulse Infinity could stand a hair more improvement in. With the Mojo the vocals are a little harder to separate compared to the PuIse Infinity. 

Ave Maria D. 839 (DSD64)

The trill in the singer's voice is amazing on the Mojo. The black background of the Mojo allows her voice to standout as if it is the only thing in the room with you. That being said, the piano in the background seems a little recessed for what I would expect.

Arnesen: MAGNIFICAT 4. Et misericordia -Nidarosdomens jentekor & TrondheimSolistene (DSD256 & DSD128)

I admittedly picked this song because I can’t listen to DSD256 with either of my other DACs so I was curious as to how it would sound and how the Mojo would handle it. It did another phenomenal job. This song just sounds magical through the Mojo. I am pretty sure the first night I received the Mojo I fell asleep will while listening to this song because the Mojo does such a good job of capturing the serenity of this song….But the Mojo does have an issue with playback of DSD256. It is prone to random skips where the music will drop out for a fraction of a second.

I decided to do a closer apples to apples comparison to see if it was the DSD256 that gave the song more potency or if it was the Mojo. In this case I did find that a large part of it was the DSD256. But, in the DSD128 comparison between the Mojo and the Pulse Infinity the Mojo does eek out a slight advantage in reproducing the serenity of this songs….but then it started skipping.

Eric Clapton and B.B. King - Riding with the King (24/88.2)

Eric Clapton’s voice seems a little muffled and hazy with he Mojo. Its slightly hard to fish it out of the instruments. The Pulse Infinity has the same issue although to a lesser extent. Also with the Mojo, B.B. King’s voice seems a little quite compared to Clapton’s voice. These two things make this song less enjoyable overall because your have to keep searching for the vocals amongst the instruments for most of the song.

Conclusion

I had an outstanding time with the Chord Mojo and I look forward to getting more listening time with he Chord Electronics family of products. The Mojo added Magic that I didn't even know was in the music. There were a few song that I felt could have been better produced with the energy that this tiny box can add but the energy it adds for other songs is nothing short of amazing. The biggest gripe I had was with the DSD128 and DSD256 playback but if your music library isn't heavy in that department I can seen no reason why the Chord Mojo shouldn't be on your radar!

Feb 22, 2016 at 3:01 PM Post #15 of 24
GOT MY MOJO on....sent it further on tour, and now I'm missing it........

I recently had the MOJO for over a week on tour from Todd Green at TTVJ.com.
Here is my review of it: in a word, i miss it now that i sent it on further tour.
its sneaky addictive sound caused me to ignore far more expensive dac/amp setups
in my home while i tested it out with different source, iem and headphone combinations.
The MOJO didn't find a headphone it didn't like.....but it did perform better out of my
computer than my smartphone until i got usb audio pro software, then it rocked my portable
world also......will I buy one...?  pass the Ramen noodles.........im cutting back on food.....
anyway here is my summary of my experience:

The MOJO Chord dac has a subtle sneaky addictive quality to it that in the high end
world we used to call the “goosebump” factor.  I previously got this experience from listening
to my Apogee Divas powered by Krell reference amps, vinyl, etc etc a 100K$ system
or Zu Audio SoulSuperfly speakers with tubed amplication, etc.  The Mojo Chord dac 
made me smile with a touring set of FLC8s triple driver hybrid IEMS, with the great new
Panasonic HD10k headphones, the 400i HifiMan headphobes and the ATH CKR10
push pull bass monster titanium omens…like Will Rogers would have said,
….it didnt try a headphone it didnt like in fact.

i found myself listening to the MOJO Chord DAC after the honeymoon period wore off
when i could have listened to my more expensive systems instead…it was that good.
Complaints>? its not perfect, the LED  jelly lights are confusing, the usb sync sometines takes
several reboots, it sacrifices detail to musicality on bluegrass and acoustic music.
But i could live with all of those sacrifices, for the SQ was superb and the musicallity top notch.

I havent heard the HUGO or the DAVE, but those who have have commented that the MOJO
has the same technology and Chord sound to it as its much more expensive bretheren …
Is it a value at $600?  DEFINATELY!  do i really need one? NO, i have enough portable and
desktop amps for the rest of the decade …Do I want one,  YES, i miss the little fellow already.
Im not lonely for it enough to give plasma or sell my truck, but i would definately eat
Ramen noodles for a few weeks to save cash up for it…will i get one in the future?
Im jonesing on not have it available already………in this mad hobby of audio grail seeking
its nice to have a luminious object of audio desire so clearly set in ones future….
The MOJO is an audio friend indeed!

Thanks again to Todd Green at TTVJ.com for this opportunity to spend some time with’
a MOJO friend.  I am definately affected by its quality and sound signature and look forward
to beconing a MOJO fiend in the near future….

Users who are viewing this thread

Back