Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Mar 20, 2021 at 8:06 AM Post #41,282 of 42,765
Lately I am using my Mojo attached to my iMac (Aurdivana/Tidal) through USB A to micro USB (Mojo side).
Do you think I will get some benefits in reducing the RFI noise on USB if use the iMac USB C output with a USB C to coax cable with Mojo?
I'm not sure about USB to Coax but for me there is a difference when using Optical input or Coaxial input (Coaxial to Coaxial) with the Mojo. Compared to USB I notice a darker background.

Mar 20, 2021 at 8:17 AM Post #41,283 of 42,765
Lately I am using my Mojo attached to my iMac (Aurdivana/Tidal) through USB A to micro USB (Mojo side).
Do you think I will get some benefits in reducing the RFI noise on USB if use the iMac USB C output with a USB C to coax cable with Mojo?
I am just thinking out loud . . .
If the USB out on your equipment is noisy (IF), why would a USB to Coax cable be any less noisy??
Why would Mojo be more resilient to noise on Coax compared to USB?
I wonder!

Mar 20, 2021 at 9:20 AM Post #41,284 of 42,765
As far as I know USB-C out doesn't output spdif signal. Do you have some converter in mind?

Mar 21, 2021 at 9:21 AM Post #41,285 of 42,765
Last edited:
Mar 21, 2021 at 9:47 AM Post #41,286 of 42,765
Have you thought about using the macs optical out? Some of the older models have this

Mar 21, 2021 at 9:53 AM Post #41,287 of 42,765
Interesting read.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...battle-of-s-pdif-vs-usb-which-is-better.1943/
BTW the AudioPhileo converter he is using is the Bees's Knee's of all converters (at least at the time ).
it was made at a time when USB inputs of many DAC s were crap.
I believe Naim Audio used to implement it in their top DAC s.
Quite possibly.
I remember probably 5 years ago, there were quite a few posts on the Naim forums, from owners who had replaced their Naim dac by a 2Qute, and used the 2Qute as the input source for their Naim Amps etc.
I don't know if that was source (usb v spdif) related, or possibly more the dac accuracy/sound signature related.
Even so there were posts on audio sites, expressing surprise that naim tolerated such posts. :relaxed:

Mar 21, 2021 at 11:52 AM Post #41,288 of 42,765
So, I've been trying some combinations with the mojo and So far here are the results.

*PC->Optical->Mojo: sounds the best out of all combos I've tried.
*PC->USB->Mojo: comes in second. with USB it took very careful listening in a quiet room to notice a small difference (darker background & cleaner with Optical), still sounds very good.
*Android (Samsung & LG phones)->USB->Mojo: has noticeable noise when compared to USB from PC. Still better than xDuoo XD-05 and iFi xCAN though.
*xDuoo 05BL Pro->LDAC->Mojo: has a dark background similar to Optical, unfortunately it loses extension in both ends and sounds like something is missing from the sound when compared to Wired connections. OK sounding and can be used for convenience sake, or in a noisy environment.

Now, I'm trying to achieve the same sound quality as Optical or USB from my PC, while on the go. From what I've read, the xDuoo X10T II seems like a great choice for sound quality. I've used Hiby Link on my Phones, the LG serving as a controller and Samsung stacked to the Mojo in my pocket as a transport and while the sound quality is good, the overall setup is bulky and a pain to setup which makes me hesitant to purchase the xDuoo.

There's also Poly, but I'm just not sure if I want to spend so much just for just a wireless connection, I don't care for features like Roon, SD Card Slot...

Hopefully, someone can help me with a few questions
1. I'm curious to know if there are any alternatives you guys can recommend? or are the X10T II & Poly the only options?

Also, has anyone used the iFi iSilencer+ with the Mojo. It's supposed to remove EMI & RMI from the source. If it works well, I might not need to spend more on a separate digital transport and be happy with the iFi on my phone's USB or even get a cheap DAP like Shanling M0 to pair it with.

Mar 21, 2021 at 1:22 PM Post #41,289 of 42,765
So, I've been trying some combinations with the mojo and So far here are the results.

*PC->USB->Mojo: comes in second. with USB it took very careful listening in a quiet room to notice a small difference (darker background & cleaner with Optical), still sounds very good.
*Android (Samsung & LG phones)->USB->Mojo: has noticeable noise when compared to USB from PC. Still better than xDuoo XD-05 and iFi xCAN though.
*xDuoo 05BL Pro->LDAC->Mojo: has a dark background similar to Optical, unfortunately it loses extension in both ends and sounds like something is missing from the sound when compared to Wired connections. OK sounding and can be used for convenience sake, or in a noisy environment.

Now, I'm trying to achieve the same sound quality as Optical or USB from my PC, while on the go. From what I've read, the xDuoo X10T II seems like a great choice for sound quality. I've used Hiby Link on my Phones, the LG serving as a controller and Samsung stacked to the Mojo in my pocket as a transport and while the sound quality is good, the overall setup is bulky and a pain to setup which makes me hesitant to purchase the xDuoo.

There's also Poly, but I'm just not sure if I want to spend so much just for just a wireless connection, I don't care for features like Roon, SD Card Slot...

1. I'm curious to know if there are any alternatives you guys can recommend? or are the X10T II & Poly the only options?

Also, has anyone used the iFi iSilencer+ with the Mojo. It's supposed to remove EMI & RMI from the source. If it works well, I might not need to spend more on a separate digital transport and be happy with the iFi on my phone's USB or even get a cheap DAP like Shanling M0 to pair it with.
Not entirely sure what a silencer will do with a battery powered device. If I recall correctly Rob Watts did some comparisons in his watts up thread and there wasn’t an improvement except for mains powered device but again, going by memory and may be wrong. Try checking Rob watts posts

Mar 21, 2021 at 8:12 PM Post #41,290 of 42,765

I had just about given up with portable usb DACs until I got an iSilencer+

Yes it works quite brilliantly in reducing if not completely removing interference

Now I have a Google Pixel I have no use for it. Totally silent and flawless. I now just use my phone and my Walkman with Mojo via USB (Optical and Coax with CD)

Mar 22, 2021 at 12:47 AM Post #41,291 of 42,765
I had just about given up with portable usb DACs until I got an iSilencer+

Yes it works quite brilliantly in reducing if not completely removing interference

Now I have a Google Pixel I have no use for it. Totally silent and flawless. I now just use my phone and my Walkman with Mojo via USB (Optical and Coax with CD)
Thanks for your input. I sometimes get this annoying crackle/whine type of noise when Mojo is connected to my primary phone (LG), it does not happen when connected to my secondary phone (Samsung) or when connected to my PC. I don't know if it's cause the LG has a sim in it which is causing some sort if interference or something else. So, I'm hoping that the iSilencer will fix the issue.

What changes do you notice when iSilencer+ is introduced into the chain?

Mar 22, 2021 at 1:40 AM Post #41,292 of 42,765
I sometimes get this annoying crackle/whine type of noise when Mojo is connected to my primary phone (LG), it does not happen when connected to my secondary phone (Samsung) or when connected to my PC.
What music player is used ?

Now i will write something that i noticed, which the others may or may not have encountered. Cracking sounds may appear if you have "bad" CPU governor (it is 'interactive' on most phones, which should switch frequencies fast enough when there is demand and therefore you should not hear distortion on the audio stream to Mojo, though the behaviour is different when screen is off, so i think) on the phone. If the phone is mid or high tear so to say, there does not matter because even if with lowest cpu frequencies is still fine and no problem to play the audio stream (considering you are not upsampling or something like this to need higher than normal cpu frequencies).

This can affect DAPs as well, depending what music player is and settings, same as phone.

Same for tablets.

Almost does not affect DAPs that are Not with Android based OS.

On PC no such problem.

What is connected to Mojo ? Headphones or something else ?

Considering what the guys said, probably is not worth it searching for cable like that.

There is indeed darker/blacker background using coaxial input of Mojo, but this is so for sure if you are using coaxial to coaxial cable, not USB to coaxial. I don't have USB to coaxial to test, but coaxial to coaxial will give you the effect you seek (very minor difference though). Meybe optical from the MAC to coaxial Mojo as well will be fine.

Consider also, are you listening your music loud/high volume levels ? If not, there is chance you will not notice difference between Mojo's inputs. So i see things.

That all said, i never ever tried Mojo with IEMs. The guys that are reporting interfierences may listen to mostly IEMs or some super low impedance headphones and thats how is so noticable.

In sum, think about what you use the Mojo with and make conclutions from there.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2021 at 3:12 AM Post #41,293 of 42,765
Quite possibly.
I remember probably 5 years ago, there were quite a few posts on the Naim forums, from owners who had replaced their Naim dac by a 2Qute, and used the 2Qute as the input source for their Naim Amps etc.
I don't know if that was source (usb v spdif) related, or possibly more the dac accuracy/sound signature related.
Even so there were posts on audio sites, expressing surprise that naim tolerated such posts. :relaxed:
I am not familiar with 2Qute, but I remember reading a lengthy review and lab measurement on the AudioPhilleo converter at the time. When it came out, Asynchronous USB interface was in its infancy.
S/PDIF coax ruled the day, so this device had a very good noise free USB interface, reclocked data precisely to S/PDIF coax output - very low jitter spectrum.
Problem with S/PDIF (apart from being ancient almost redundant interface) is that communication is one-way! the player and DAC do not talk back and forth. the player is MASTER, it dishes out the bits, the poor DAC has to just keep up (there are two clocks).
But in Asynchronous USB audio, the DAC is MASTER, it requests data from buffer when it is ready, and clocks it internally once, this reduces the all important jitter.
On USB powered DAC's (which Mojo is not) if the +5V supply coming through USB is noisy, it will leak into the DAC, corrupting the sound.
Let us not forget, S/PDIF coax can also be noisy!
The USB output of a player must be particularly noisy before Mojo would have an audible effect.
Optical input is obviously electrically immune and noise free, but there could be that problem of two clocks and jitter

Mar 22, 2021 at 4:17 AM Post #41,294 of 42,765
Have you thought about using the macs optical out? Some of the older models have this
I found a Cayin USB-C to Coax in one of my drones, I tried but Audirvana doesn't recognize Mojo when connected into this way.

Then, is a better option to get an USB-C to Toslink device to improve sound quality over USB with mojo? If so, which one does any o you recommend?

Mar 22, 2021 at 4:56 AM Post #41,295 of 42,765
I found a Cayin USB-C to Coax in one of my drones, I tried but Audirvana doesn't recognize Mojo when connected into this way.

Then, is a better option to get an USB-C to Toslink device to improve sound quality over USB with mojo? If so, which one does any o you recommend?
There is no such thing as a usb to toslink. Usb sends an electrical signal whereas toslink is optical. There are converters such as the following ones:

https://www.thewelltemperedcomputer.com/HW/SPDIF-USB.htm

But not sure this is what you are actually looking for. Which Mac model (including model year) are you using? Some have a mini toslink output incorporated into the headphone jack.

these links may help:

https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/46605/how-do-i-tell-if-my-mac-supports-mini-toslink#159904

https://babcuvpisecek.com/htpc/do-i-have-optical-out-apple-toslink-spdif-compatibility-list/

if it does have a mini toslink output this is the sort of cable you need:

https://www.amazon.com/KabelDirekt-...Mini+TOSLINK+to+TOSLINK&qid=1616404116&sr=8-4

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back