Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jan 5, 2017 at 11:30 PM Post #28,336 of 42,765

You're buying the convenience of not having to have that stack in your pocket just to play music. My phone can do the same too but it's honestly annoying for me how bulky the whole setup and how inconvenient it is just to do things with it. What can your phone do that poly can't do by the way?

You still have to carry a phone around with you so what's your point?

Jan 5, 2017 at 11:35 PM Post #28,338 of 42,765
I'm guessing some people don't know the price for a good streamer...And btw, Mojo is about 10 times more expensive than a Dragonfly let's say. Nobody complained about that...Because it has great sound quality. 
Try to look this way...Poly is half the price of a Pioneer network streamer. You already have a great DAC(Mojo) and as an added benefit, you can take it with you for a walk in the park....

Jan 5, 2017 at 11:36 PM Post #28,339 of 42,765

Uuuh, yes, I have my phone with me all the time when I'm outside, you don't?

My point is now you have to have one more device.  No I don't want to use my phone for playing music and eating through it's battery.  Plus your point was no longer needing to carry a stack.  Well now you have an additional item to carry.

Jan 5, 2017 at 11:38 PM Post #28,341 of 42,765
  I'm guessing some people don't know the price for a good streamer...And btw, Mojo is about 10 times more expensive than a Dragonfly let's say. Nobody complained about that...Because it has great sound quality. 
Try to look this way...Poly is half the price of a Pioneer network streamer. You already have a great DAC(Mojo) and as an added benefit, you can take it with you for a walk in the park....

It's an sd card reader and a wifi/bluetooth module.

Jan 5, 2017 at 11:39 PM Post #28,342 of 42,765
Yup, my HTC 10 feeds the Mojo and I wanted a standalone DAP but with the controls handled by a phone, it's unnecessary complexity.

Mojo after all stands for Mobile Joy.
Now I get to carry 3 devices instead of 2 so no joy there. The price is simply not justified.

What would have been good is a standalone module that plugs into the Mojo, has Spotify and Tidal and an SD card for local storage. A screen to manage it all and I would happily pay the price. It's worth more than some top notch DAPs with less functionality.

Jan 5, 2017 at 11:39 PM Post #28,343 of 42,765
  My point is now you have to have one more device.  No I don't want to use my phone for playing music and eating through it's battery.  Plus your point was no longer needing to carry a stack.  Well now you have an additional item to carry.

Huh... I have to have one more device when I'm buying Mojo anyway. The phone is just a control for Mojo if you use the MPD mode (as in it controls the poly's playing the music in SD card) and it doesn't need to be connected to it all the time so the battery drain concern is annulled if you're doing it like that.

I don't understand your last sentence. Having a stack always means to have an additional item to carry in the first place.

Jan 5, 2017 at 11:41 PM Post #28,344 of 42,765
Yep, He'll be quite disappointed with the Annoying Extra screen and android OS, Dual Built-In Sabre DAC's, Dual-ESS Amps With Standard Balanced and Active Control Ground (ACG) Modes[COLOR=5A5A5A],[/COLOR] Support For MQA format along with DSD 11.2. Dual Micro SD Card Slots.

I'm sure He'd Rather just pay $200 MORE and get a Clip-on bluetooth/sd accessory for his mojo instead Right? and control everything with his phone in the end. 

What I mean sound quality wise DP-X1 is not a match with Mojo not even in the same league.
To me, DP-X1 sounds very artificial and digital (many of my audiophile friends share the same findings as me).
If you really want a DAP, I would recommend Opus #2 instead, it's really very good sounding machine and it's so much cheaper than a AK380 yet the sound quality is up there.
With my Audio Technica Ck100pro and Final Audio Fibass, it's taking female vocals into the next level! Of course it does sounds great on other genes as well.

hxx3Ts3.jpg

Jan 5, 2017 at 11:41 PM Post #28,345 of 42,765

Huh... I have to have one more device when I'm buying Mojo anyway. The phone is just a control for Mojo if you use the MPD mode (as in it controls the poly's playing the music in SD card) and it doesn't need to be connected to it all the time so the battery drain concern is annulled if you're doing it like that.

I don't understand your last sentence. Having a stack always means to have an additional item to carry in the first place.

Let's see.  Prior to Poly.  You have the mojo & phone.  Now you have to carry mojo, phone and poly.

Jan 5, 2017 at 11:42 PM Post #28,346 of 42,765

raspberry pi 3? Lol

Jan 5, 2017 at 11:44 PM Post #28,347 of 42,765
  Let's see.  Prior to Poly.  You have the mojo & phone.  Now you have to carry mojo, phone and poly.

Oh touche. But Mojo and Poly are still probably smaller than most DAP, much less DAPs that sound as good as Mojo (if there's even any), so it's still like carrying your phone and a big dap for me. Plus the convenience of never struggling with half-assed UIs and never taking one of the devices out of my pocket if I'm outside. Is that worth the price of admission? Well, that's subjective.

Jan 5, 2017 at 11:44 PM Post #28,348 of 42,765
So I doubt anyone is going to use the SD card reader without a screen and playback options. So essentially I'd be paying USD 599 to add wifi/bluetooth to the mojo? why? To get rid of one interconnect? Would you guys pay USD 4K to get rid of the LCD4's cable as well?

I don't get it.

Jan 5, 2017 at 11:47 PM Post #28,349 of 42,765
What I mean sound quality wise DP-X1 is not a match with Mojo not even in the same league.
To me, DP-X1 sounds very artificial and digital (many of my audiophile friends with the same findings as me).
If you really want a DAP, I would recommend Opus #2 instead, it's really very good sounding machine and it's so much cheaper than a AK380 yet the sound quality is up there.
With my Audio Technica Ck100pro and Final Audio Fibass, it's taking female vocals into the next level! Of course it does sounds great on other genes as well.

Yes, You're right about the sound quality of the Onkyo compared to the Mojo. But I'm not talking about getting a DP-X1A instead of the mojo, I'm Talking about getting one instead of the Poly which is priced more than the onkyo. You can connect it to your Mojo and get all the features the poly has to offer PLUS the DAP features of DP-X1A. 

Jan 5, 2017 at 11:48 PM Post #28,350 of 42,765
Sorry to derail this very interesting conversation on the Poly (which I do plan on getting, as it finally allows me to take the stack and keep it separate from the phone), but I do have a quick question for those who use just the Mojo on its own sometimes.

I'm currently mulling over the idea of picking up a Ray Samuels Intruder (and will likely pull the trigger) - but for now I use the Mojo on its own to power my HD700s from my iPhone 7 Plus, iPad Pro 12.9, and Mac.  Have noticed that on many tracks, once pushed to loud volume levels (often within the range I'd like to listen), I hear intense clipping, especially at low frequencies.  It's bad enough that it sounds like the drivers in the HD700s are going to tear themselves.  I hadn't noticed this before, but I'm doubting that it's the HD700s.  This is partly what prompted me to pursue a mobile amp to use along with the Mojo, the other part being that I'd like to pick up a pair of LCD3s in the very near future, and maybe someday a pair of LCD4s.

Anyone else notice clipping at what seems like not-too-crazy volume levels?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back