Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Oct 18, 2016 at 1:33 PM Post #24,377 of 42,765
  You get to enjoy your music, and don't have to spend your working life stressed about the engineering design and production of the DACs (and many other products).
LOL 

I could be listening to music right now instead of reading about Mojo, but instead I enjoy the product to the point where I like learning about it, how it works, what others think about it, and so on.  The video on how we interpret audio signals remains something I refer others to.  In this thread, over and over, we discuss the product far more than the music we listen to. I think a lot of people are fascinated by its technology, and it isn't stressful.  

I want to hear Dave because of the magic of Mojo.  (I also want to buy Hugo).  I enjoy the DAVE thread in reading about the technology. 

Oct 18, 2016 at 1:46 PM Post #24,379 of 42,765
To be clear, we are talking about the pre-amp, line out... Remember, the original question was about DACs.... but yes, to my ears they sound the same. 

I know that you are a very objective guy and that is fine, but did you try listening to how each dac made you feel over the long term? Often times it's the emotion you feel and musicality you expeirence that differentiates between a good dac and a great dac.

Oct 18, 2016 at 1:52 PM Post #24,380 of 42,765
I know that you are a very objective guy and that is fine, but did you try listening to how each dac made you feel over the long term? Often times it's the emotion you feel and musicality you expeirence that differentiates between a good dac and a great dac.

No sir, only a couple of them. 

To be fair, I'm not ranking what I've heard or making any sort of statement on how good they are relative to each other.

I prefer my enjoyment come from the actual music rather than the equipment. I would like to think it is the artist and the music that causes the emotion, not the hardware design. 

I think many people here will be surprised or doubtful of those last two statements. 

Oct 18, 2016 at 1:55 PM Post #24,382 of 42,765

To be fair, I'm not ranking what I've heard or making any sort of statement on how good they are relative to each other.

I prefer my enjoyment come from the actual music rather than the equipment. I would like to think it is the artist and the music that causes the emotion, not the hardware design. 

I think many people here will be surprised or doubtful of those last two statements. 

Coming from an advanced age where I had to put certain albums 'to rest' having heard them far too often, I found that Mojo opened them up afresh and new for me with detail and that special something I cannot describe, that I have not heard before.  

Even as I mentioned Dylan and the Nobel Prize before, earlier on the treadmill, I listened to Blood on the Tracks (album version) via Mojo and was emotionally captured by the beauty of feeling "I'm in the studio; I am hearing every detail here..." that I credit to Mojo.  

It is an emotional experience.  

Oct 18, 2016 at 2:05 PM Post #24,384 of 42,765
Coming from an advanced age where I had to put certain albums 'to rest' having heard them far too often, I found that Mojo opened them up afresh and new for me with detail and that special something I cannot describe, that I have not heard before.  

Even as I mentioned Dylan and the Nobel Prize before, earlier on the treadmill, I listened to Blood on the Tracks (album version) via Mojo and was emotionally captured by the beauty of feeling "I'm in the studio; I am hearing every detail here..." that I credit to Mojo.  

It is an emotional experience.  

I agree with you on this. Before Mojo,there were certain albums and artists I could no longer enjoy either because I overlistned to them in the past or because I didn't find their songs appealing.

Oct 18, 2016 at 2:09 PM Post #24,385 of 42,765

I partially agree with you. The artist is the one who brings the emotion but it's the job of the playback system to reproduce the artist's emotional intention.

Oct 18, 2016 at 2:17 PM Post #24,386 of 42,765
GRUMPYOLDGUY Thanks for sharing bro. I tend to agree with what you said regarding dacs/amps, to my ears they usually sound more alike than different. I may hear subtle differences, but the thing that stands out most to me is the background noise. I find the Mojo exceptionally low.

Also, and I'm not sure why, but I tend to hear things a bit easier on the Mojo than other items. However, once I hear them in mojo, I can hear them in other items, with the same audibility.

I truly enjoy my mojo, it sounds great, but I tend to agree that it is overhyped. I thought I'd here a large, easy to detect difference, but I don't. That's not an insult to Chord, but more of a compliment to my portable gear in general, or an insult to NY ears, which happen to suck.

Oct 18, 2016 at 2:47 PM Post #24,388 of 42,765
Sir, you are not alone in your skepticism, I remember someone referring to them as What HiFi. (It could have been me? :blink: )

I have noticed over the years that they choose to leave out some stiff competition when doing multi product review shootouts.

Some might say it has something to do with the amount of marketing budget that is spent advertising in its magazines! :cool:    
I think you'd be very surprised at the facts of our relatively small advertising budgets. We spend our finance on developing new and exciting technology and we are lucky that the team at What Hi Fi can recognise that. They are very good guys supportive yes but totally above board and have never demanded advertising revenue by way of recompence

Oct 18, 2016 at 2:54 PM Post #24,390 of 42,765
I think this video has got a place here.

Wow. There is so much oversimplification and marketing sleight of hand here.

For example analog ASIC designs may not have the flexibility of an FPGA, but has it's own set of advantages... Achievable speeds, power utilization, etc.

There is definitely an advantage to an FPGA based approach, particularly pre-DAC, but that's completely lost in this video.

Okay, well not completely lost, that's an exaggeration... But a little less oversimplification would have been better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back