Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Feb 7, 2016 at 4:37 PM Post #10,861 of 42,765

So, do you mean it to act as a USB OTG, which you can't use at present as that is how you connect your device to the Mojo?

I was thinking that you would be able to play files directly from the SD without using a phone or DAP. In this case a UI of some description will be required.

Separate the SD storage from the choice of player, this way Chord need not become an app company, too.  
I want to choose which player(s) I use rather than tying my choice of software to the hardware.

My thinking is as follows (and it could be faulty, I admit);

- SD card(s) module docked to the Mojo (where the ports are located) deployed so we do not need a USB cable at all, nor a CCK cable for us iPhone users.
- BlueTooth communication to the Mojo from any device with a player UI, including streaming services and their related offline/download capability.

Feb 7, 2016 at 5:15 PM Post #10,862 of 42,765
i'm interested in the mojo

interesting video on chord and possible future products from their fb

https://youtu.be/3e7SRXP3RHI

just trying to find out if the mojo would be ok working both as a permanent laptop dac/amp
as well as a portable one

Feb 7, 2016 at 5:17 PM Post #10,863 of 42,765
So I found these on eBay and thought to link it here. Check it out now!

Pure Solid Silver Lightning to Chord Hugo Mojo interconnect cable http://r.ebay.com/2rPxtL
Silver lightning Line Out Dock to USB type A cable for PHA-1 -2 http://r.ebay.com/ckMNFq
Lightning Line Out Dock to MICRO USB cable for hugo / mojo/ AMD / http://r.ebay.com/JVIimh

Looks like there are people now making this cable.

I would be careful with using a non MFI certified lighting connector. They have been tested to either cause issues with the battery or circuitry of the iOS device you are using it with and device you are plugged into

Feb 7, 2016 at 6:02 PM Post #10,865 of 42,765
Thanks for clarification.

What would be those circumstances?

Very high or very low room temperatures (battery life was cut in half when I was walking my dog in 40 degree weather). Using it often while charging will cause the battery's full charge lifespan to deplete faster. High-res files could cause the battery to deplete faster as well, but I haven't seen this conclusively proven. It would potentially make the DAC's processor work harder, but that may also not be significant. The temperature is the biggest factor though, like all lithium ion batteries.

Feb 7, 2016 at 6:04 PM Post #10,866 of 42,765
Very high or very low room temperatures (battery life was cut in half when I was walking my dog in 40 degree weather). Using it often while charging will cause the battery's full charge lifespan to deplete faster. High-res files could cause the battery to deplete faster as well, but I haven't seen this conclusively proven. It would potentially make the DAC's processor work harder, but that may also not be significant. The temperature is the biggest factor though, like all lithium ion batteries.

I've been using mine in a normal room temperature, with FLAC files, at yellow volume with Roxanne and only yield 4 hours. You think this is still normal?

Feb 7, 2016 at 6:07 PM Post #10,867 of 42,765
Im about to buy Mojo, which will be paired with Sony Xperia smartphone. Could anyone recommend good pair of IEMs for it? I listen to jazz (fusion), classical music, and some dub and reggae. I aint basshead, but would like some nice, articulated bass. Budget is 150-200 euros.

Feb 7, 2016 at 6:29 PM Post #10,868 of 42,765
Im about to buy Mojo, which will be paired with Sony Xperia smartphone. Could anyone recommend good pair of IEMs for it? I listen to jazz (fusion), classical music, and some dub and reggae. I aint basshead, but would like some nice, articulated bass. Budget is 150-200 euros.

Unless you are using the Mojo with speakers or a full size headphone, I'd reverse your spending priority. I'd get $6-700 IEMs and a $1-200 DAC

Feb 7, 2016 at 7:02 PM Post #10,870 of 42,765

2 that I have tried and liked

B&O H3 (get the right fit) and the bass is there as it should be, great on "Holly Cole Trio - Whoope, My Baby Just cares for me", which has a great acoustic double bass and yet works fine too IMO on Disclosure - Hourglass and Kendrick Lamar - King Kunta and yet also works just fine with classical such as David Watkin - J.S. Bach The Cello Suites 

Or RHA T20's which also plays fine with all the above

YMMV

Feb 7, 2016 at 7:45 PM Post #10,872 of 42,765
Thought it may be worth creating a Google survey to gather feedback and see how others feel the Mojo synergises with their headphone/s. 
wink_face.gif

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1EZQ_zxwSIL9Zz38-_eaJGDUPsqwJEwKbbeoDX1SMPWg/viewform?c=0&w=1

Results - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1H9sSH1CCK29YTerd63g0GjJexb8TlW4ZUR8Td-xUo5s/edit?usp=sharing

Feb 8, 2016 at 1:21 AM Post #10,874 of 42,765
My mojo only lasted 4-5 hrs on the first charge. I did notice that the second full charge took a bit longer than the first ~6 and a half hours. Hopefully it'll last longer on this charge.

Feb 8, 2016 at 1:56 AM Post #10,875 of 42,765
Unless you are using the Mojo with speakers or a full size headphone, I'd reverse your spending priority. I'd get $6-700 IEMs and a $1-200 DAC

Not correct.

I use my Hugo with Sennheiser entry level ear IEM, and sounds great to me. More than enough bass (I dislike very much excessive bass). Which $1-200 DAC can beat the Mojo? 

No expensive headphones are needed to appreciate the music.

I am now 44 years old, and some of you may not be old enough to remember or have enjoyed the analog era of Vinyl and tapes, where music sounded so enjoyable and musical.

In those days FM radio sounded so engaging, and I remember days of rocking all out to Rock albums on a simple tape player and speakers. (Edit : Now we can do the same with Mojo into simple powered speakers)

Sadly with badly designed and compromised digital these rocking out sessions were in the past. When I heard the first CD players I was shocked how bad they sounded, and while there have been improvements in musicality, nothing like what I now hear from the Hugo. CD players from the Naim/Linn camp did sound musical, but I arrived late to the Naim/Linn party (and too expensive for me in those days), and anyway the Hugo/Mojo is more closer to the engagement and musicality of Vinyl and analog (and in many ways, much better)

What I am saying is that I'm an all analog guy and hopefully many of the younger generation will appreciate the sheer scale of Rob Watts achievements in the Mojo in terms of how this little gem makes music enjoyable, and engaging to listen to again !

It wasn't easy to get here and it took Mr Watts 30 years of research !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back