Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Mar 12, 2016 at 9:20 AM Post #13,066 of 42,765
some people strongly feel there is different sq out, and i dont understand either, just like usb cable which they say is different from each other by cable quality

Every claim should be accompanied with evidence of truth therefore whoever claimed that different USB cables or digital cables changes the sound quality should at least give us the evidence of their claim. Please enlighten us.

Nobody claimed such a thing, the first post on the topic was using an analogy and it got carried away from there. The 'enlightenment' can be found in many other threads on the specific topic. The exact reason why I suggest the topic be taken elsewhere as threads have been de-railed (or locked) for such a discussion outside of Sound Science.

Mar 12, 2016 at 9:21 AM Post #13,067 of 42,765
This is about sound science and the Mojo though.

Sounds like the Mojo's amp circuitry is prone to phone RF noise. I'm guessing the same would happen if the Mojo was plugged into a DAP with the phone in close proximity.

So use a DAP and keep your phone a distance away. 

Mar 12, 2016 at 9:25 AM Post #13,068 of 42,765

Sounds like the Mojo's amp circuitry is prone to phone RF noise. I'm guessing the same would happen if the Mojo was plugged into a DAP with the phone in close proximity.

I don't know about GSM phones, but I've been on Verizon since the late 90's which means I've been on CDMA and I've noticed for as long as I've been into headphones that CDMA phones are awful noisy and it's easy for digital squelching interference to come thru. It's happened to just about every device I've owned but the Mojo is not impervious to it either. The Arrow 5TX was better at dealing with this noise but it still happened sometimes.

It seems to only happen when the cell phone is talking to the towers though - Sometimes I am using my Mojo and hear some squelching and realize my phone is right next to the mojo, or touching the headphone cable coming from the Mojo.

If I used a CDMA smartphone as my source I would probably lose my mind over this! That's why I have a separate DAP Android that doesn't go on wifi or mobile networks :)

Not sure if CDMA is actually worse than GSM for headphone interference but it runs at a much lower frequency.

My DAP is an old crappy Boost Mobile Android I got on eBay for $20 that can not be activated. The worst part about it is the battery life is shorter than the Mojo's but with no SIM card or mobile data activated it's dead silent sitting on top of the mojo all day.

Mar 12, 2016 at 9:27 AM Post #13,069 of 42,765

You're talking in circles here. Yes, the Mojo will potentially pick up RF noise if even fed from a DAP and a phone is close to it. Same as if the phone is merely close to the headphone cable. You know as well as I that it was verging off topic with the cable quality debate which is very different than the source being a phone vs a DAP.

Mar 12, 2016 at 9:58 AM Post #13,070 of 42,765
Your talking in circles here. Yes, the Mojo will potentially pick up RF noise if even fed from a DAP and a phone is close to it. Same as if the phone is merely close to the headphone cable. You know as well as I that it was verging off topic with the cable quality debate which is very different than the source being a phone vs a DAP.

If you think my posts are off topic then report my posts. No offence intended but I think my post were relevant to the other posts in the topic. I wasn't aware of the sensitivity around such discussions being fairly new to the site. However, my own view is that moderating should be left to moderators.

I don't know about GSM phones, but I've been on Verizon since the late 90's which means I've been on CDMA and I've noticed for as long as I've been into headphones that CDMA phones are awful noisy and it's easy for digital squelching interference to come thru. It's happened to just about every device I've owned but the Mojo is not impervious to it either. The Arrow 5TX was better at dealing with this noise but it still happened sometimes.

It seems to only happen when the cell phone is talking to the towers though - Sometimes I am using my Mojo and hear some squelching and realize my phone is right next to the mojo, or touching the headphone cable coming from the Mojo.

If I used a CDMA smartphone as my source I would probably lose my mind over this! That's why I have a separate DAP Android that doesn't go on wifi or mobile networks :)

Not sure if CDMA is actually worse than GSM for headphone interference but it runs at a much lower frequency.

My DAP is an old crappy Boost Mobile Android I got on eBay for $20 that can not be activated. The worst part about it is the battery life is shorter than the Mojo's but with no SIM card or mobile data activated it's dead silent sitting on top of the mojo all day.

My intention was to pair a Mojo with an iPhone but sounds like that might be bad idea now. I use the Apple Music service (a lot) as I'm always listening out for new music and at work I rely on my phone for the data. Never had an issue with the Fiio E17K or my current K1 so maybe it's worse with CDMA.

Are there any UK Mojo owners on here (or GSM other) who haven't found an issue with the Mojo? 

Mar 12, 2016 at 10:10 AM Post #13,071 of 42,765
My intention was to pair a Mojo with an iPhone but sounds like that might be bad idea now. I use the Apple Music service (a lot) as I'm always listening out for new music and at work I rely on my phone for the data. Never had an issue with the Fiio E17K or my current K1 so maybe it's worse with CDMA.  
Are there any UK Mojo owners on here (or GSM other) who haven't found an issue with the Mojo? 

Since you're in the UK don't worry because CDMA has been dead in Europe for ages. It barely exists outside of the USA still.

If you've never had an issue with and USB DAC until now I really doubt you'll have any starting with the Mojo. I have had my cell phone interference issues regardless of gear used for as long as I can remember.

I can't even leave my cell phone on top of my home stereo.

Mar 12, 2016 at 10:10 AM Post #13,072 of 42,765
If you think my posts are off topic then report my posts. No offence intended but I think my post were relevant to the other posts in the topic. I wasn't aware of the sensitivity around such discussions being fairly new to the site. However, my own view is that moderating should be left to moderators.

No offence taken. I'm simply suggesting taking the 'burden of proof' type discussion, as it was turning out, somewhere else. Not trying to moderate anyone here and apologies if you feel I directed the comment solely at you.

The sad reality is that a lot of phones paired with a lot of devices cause RF noise. When I'm on 3G or LTE I don't hear it at all, while others do. There's a lot of variables so it depends on the tower signal strength, your carrier signal, and any other interference that may be in the area. I've read many reports about the HA-2, X7, DP-X1 all having RF signal interference from either a cellular signal or WiFi. The issue happens most when the signal is weak and the hardware ramps up the sensitivity to acquire a good signal.

Mar 12, 2016 at 10:14 AM Post #13,073 of 42,765
  I was always trying to build up my current system around my actual pair of headphones.
Since I bought Mojo, I am trying to build up my system around Mojo. :)

I began with the headphones and worked around it.  I received good counsel, and got good results.  

The Mojo changed everything.  

it replaced desk top DAC, desk top amp and portable amp.  

I like the Fiio EX1 in ears but having learned from the Mojo the 'what are you missing?' factor, I am open to saving my pennies for something more worthy.  

My wife gave Dylan "Live at Budokan" a listen and was also shocked at the vocals.  Another interesting comment was about the flute highs...she didn't realize a flute was on the original (it is background, and very high notes) 

This was never a favorite album of mine but Mojo has brought it to life.  She said, "I Want You" almost brought her to tears, while agreeing that "All Along The Watchtower" was, perhaps, his best version.  

Mojo.  Wow.  

Mar 12, 2016 at 10:19 AM Post #13,074 of 42,765
Fair enough - Mr x Relic x, now give us a cuddle 
tongue_smile.gif

atsmile.gif

I get the RF problem with my Little Dot II if my phone is nearby, with the Topping NX2 it was a deal breaker. E17K no problem, K1 no problem. I want to step up to the Mojo but........

I guess I'll have to risk it to find out, just as well Amazon have a 30 days returns policy 
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 12, 2016 at 12:13 PM Post #13,075 of 42,765
I received the Galaxy S7 and I'm now testing it with the mojo...

i was testing this too:
http://usb.brando.com/microusb-otg-3-port-hub-with-card-reader_p03277c39d15.html

it's a similar one.

it works very well reading files from a pendrive...

I plan to buy a portable 3TB HD....with the 15A external battery supplying current to the Hub(mine has an optional external power connection) and the Mojo it is gonna be a very good transportable audio net

Mar 12, 2016 at 12:59 PM Post #13,076 of 42,765

Personally, I'm thrilled with my iPhone + Mojo pairing. I too rely on streaming (Tidal lossless) for the convenience of an endless music library and music discovery. I use Verizon in the States. Is there an issue with RF? Sure, but it's not a big deal for me. First, I've never found it bothersome enough to prevent me from discovering and enjoying new music. It is infrequent enough that I just don't find it very annoying, although others might. Second, and more importantly, I download my favorite tunes for offline listening and switch the phone to airplane mode when I want zero noise.

For me, I don't see the need for a separate DAP considering I have a single device that can accomplish all things. I just switch the "mode" depending on how I want to use it. And I'm in the camp of those who believe that the transport medium is irrelevant. Of course, if I was expecting phone calls all the time, then I might need a separate DAP. But I wouldn't waste my money on an expensive one.

Mar 12, 2016 at 1:13 PM Post #13,077 of 42,765
Personally, I'm thrilled with my iPhone + Mojo pairing. I too rely on streaming (Tidal lossless) for the convenience of an endless music library and music discovery. I use Verizon in the States. Is there an issue with RF? Sure, but it's not a big deal for me. First, I've never found it bothersome enough to prevent me from discovering and enjoying new music. It is infrequent enough that I just don't find it very annoying, although others might. Second, and more importantly, I download my favorite tunes for offline listening and switch the phone to airplane mode when I want zero noise.

For me, I don't see the need for a separate DAP considering I have a single device that can accomplish all things. I just switch the "mode" depending on how I want to use it. And I'm in the camp of those who believe that the transport medium is irrelevant. Of course, if I was expecting phone calls all the time, then I might need a separate DAP. But I wouldn't waste my money on an expensive one.

This makes a lot of sense and may be my next step in the journey...lossless through streaming. 

Mar 12, 2016 at 1:24 PM Post #13,078 of 42,765
  I received my Fiio -> Mojo coax connector from Dyson Audio yesterday. Couldn't be happier with the purchase. Well made cable, and at first listen, I think the coax connection actually sounds even better than the USB output from my MBP.

I received my cable yesterday but I've ordered Black Dragon today because the Right angle connector to Mojo is not really good. I think the straight connector cable is better.

Mar 12, 2016 at 2:30 PM Post #13,079 of 42,765
currently listening some chesky binaural music on mojo+ fiio x3 2nd gen and Beyer dt880 600ohm . I have no doubt that mojo should be compared with $50k DACs , it is that good. the imaging is so frighteningly real and accurate. great stuff can't believe it is possible with such a small device.

Mar 12, 2016 at 3:00 PM Post #13,080 of 42,765
same, it's convinced me i'm not "dac-deaf" after all :)

My only compaint about the Mojo is there's no way to easily and quickly mute it. I have to hold down the volume down until it goes all the way down which can take a little while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back