Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Feb 14, 2016 at 5:13 PM Post #11,372 of 42,765
Lg G4 and Mojo are a flawless combo. As a stack, not so much due to G4's curved back. I ended up buying the Onkyo DP-X1 DAP because I wanted to keep my phone to use as a, doh, phone and to avoid interference. However, when it comes to hooking up the Mojo over a $5 OTG cable, the G4 is perfect.

Feb 14, 2016 at 5:18 PM Post #11,373 of 42,765
  Can someone tell me how is the Mojo with the Fostex TH-X00 and also with Grado's headphones ?

Thanks!

TH-X00 and Mojo are simply amazing together. Live music sounds so good you'd think you're there! The headphones are not as detailed as a planar but they're such a joy to listen to and the Mojo does a fantastic job driving them. Staging is great, base and mids just right and treble are well defined but never sibilant.

Feb 14, 2016 at 6:52 PM Post #11,376 of 42,765
  Can someone tell me how is the Mojo with the Fostex TH-X00 and also with Grado's headphones ?

Thanks!

Quote:
  I have tried with Grado SR325e headphones and I love the combination
L3000.gif
 . I bought these after auditioning a few HP with my Mojo. 
I cannot comment on the Fostex as I have no experience of these

I have it with the Grado SR225e, and to be really honest I am am a bit underwhelmed.

It's probably more to do with the 225e because as a series I never saw it gain more than 4/5 stars in pro-reviews. That's going all the way back to the original SR225. Whereas all the rest of the Prestige Series gained five stars.

I did however find my SR225e OK with the Meridian Explorer, but I could still see its weaknesses. I think the ME and the 225e are better matched. The rich softer tone of the ME made the 225e almost induce tears. Very emotive DAC.

The Mojo paired is kind of dazzling with detail, but I can't quite take it in. I really do think that I need more headtime with the Mojo-225e to get used to it. There is more detail than the ME but it can sound just slightly hard edged. (The ME is smooth and soft toned.) I think it has to be the effect of pairing a DAC that is best up £800. With £180 headphones that were not best in class. I am also finding it really hard to adjust to the more balanced soundstage of the Mojo. There's a clearer view but it's just a bit less emotive and sometimes slightly boring. (Boring is the wrong word though: the Mojo is less solid sounding than the thick sounding ME. On the ME, buzzy sounds are more buzzy.)

Over-all it leaves me wanting to urge the SR225e-Mojo pairing on; sort of, "Oh come on!".  

Whereas the SR325e wins lots of awards, and is actually suggested as a pairing with the Mojo by What Hi-Fi.

It makes me wonder about the Chord sound a little, though not in a bad way. Just wonder. Chord DACs like the Hugo and Hugo TT win their respective price point awards, and I agree they should. However both those What Hi-Fi reviews mention how the Chord doesn't match other similarly priced DACs for weight, or solidity. Quote the Hugo TT review, "The gains when switching to the Chord as preamp are extra clarity and definition, with more insight and finesse, though the sound has greater weight and solidity with the Bryston analogue preamp in circuit."

Quote of the Hugo review, "There’s stacks of detail up for grabs, the Chord delivering much more insight to the finer nuances of a track than the HA-1. This, in turn, gives way to a greater level of dynamic subtlety, timing and organisation that we’ve not heard from any other DAC at this price.
This more transparent nature means it’s not as smooth a listen as the HA-1,".

That's how I find the Mojo, clear and detailed but fractionally hollow. I thought this might not be the case because people say the Mojo is warmer than the Hugo. However I have to accept that my listening kit is not up to par by a long way. I have the Q Acoustics BT3 (with QED Reference Audio J2p and Chord Clearway, and inside the speakers may need rewiring.). With this paring the Mojo sound so planted, but lacking a fraction of emotion. It's a technical feast, with smoothness from its clarity.

Feb 14, 2016 at 8:05 PM Post #11,378 of 42,765
Can you elaborate as to why I have severe RFI and noises when pairing Mojo with iPhone or even using Mojo a foot away from an iPhone?

Is this a particular unit issue or what? Is this normal? I can't imagine there would would be a variable to units?

Hi Carey, are your headphone wires close to your phone? Because these wires also pick up RFI, not just from the CCK end.
Hope this helps.

Feb 14, 2016 at 8:48 PM Post #11,380 of 42,765
this seems to me to sound like you are not making proper contact to the output connector and your loosing your earth return and right and left channels are playing through the headphones then into each other somehow this would cause the precise same effect that your describing.

Well, the IEM is doing fine with other source, so it is either the mojo's fault, or it does not like the iem I plugged in. Guess I should audition another one.

Feb 14, 2016 at 9:27 PM Post #11,382 of 42,765
Apologies for not having read through the entire thread ... but I wouldn't be a crazy person if I picked up a Chord Mojo and HD800 for at-home use only in the living room, right? (Obviously not using the HD800 on the go 
tongue.gif
)

I'm kind of tired of having a separate DAC, interconnects, and a separate amp taking up space, and the all-in-one (and small!) great sounding Mojo is really appealing to me.

Basically what I'm asking: Is there a better DAC/amp combo for the HD800 in this price range?

Feb 15, 2016 at 1:48 AM Post #11,385 of 42,765
@Rob Watts

Just a quick question. Ive been using my Mojo just below the double red volume. Got 4hrs out of it and the battery indicator went yellow. Does this seem about right? Feels like i may only get 8hrs from a full charge at well below my normal listening level. Im assuming harder to drive headphones may get 5+hrs out of a charge. This seems lower then i expected.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back