Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jan 17, 2016 at 5:30 AM Post #9,408 of 42,765

Thank you. I think you are right that I could try the Mojo and return it. I am just confused on that point because the Mojo is factory sealed. Amazon might have to sell it as box opened then. However I think our UK distance selling regulations mean I should be able to open and try it. I think Amazon allow for us trying stuff. I have only two weeks left to try it and make a hassle free return then.

It might make more sense if I explain again  why I bought a Mojo. Then why it never got opened. I bought it because I saw the review in What Hi-Fi October-ish; their Awards Issue. It seemed too good to miss and I picked one up from Amazon, with no further online searching. 'I intended to use it primarily as a desktop DAC' as I read that many people do with the Hugo.

During the time from when I ordered it to before it arriving I started browsing online about for the Mojo. Already being a Head-Fi member I found this thread. Then I saw the reports that users were having and how they were working around it. 'Some people reported stuff that meant it might not be practical for desktop use'. It meant that my decision to open the Mojo when it arrived was put on hold. I figured wait and see what fixes or ideas transpired. Then the issue showed up on this thread that the first second of music got missed. With no criticism of Chord, it took weeks before it was explained why. (I think it was prompted by me asking.) Once I understood why, and people assured me it was OK, that issue was resolved for me.

As of now the only issues that I could have using it as a desktop DAC are:
1. making a noise when charging,
2. cutting out when charging and playing.

The second point I think I could cure with fixing cooling to it. Therefor I think I will go ahead and try it. I had just two days ago contacted Amazon about these two concerns, explaining the Mojo is still factory sealed. I was assured if a problem arises, I will be able to return it. I was left still nervous though because I am not someone who buys online to audition. I was buying the Mojo blindly to keep, based on review. 

I think I read the same review as you in What HiFi. I was,, at the time, looking to upgrade my Fiio E18, with the Oppo HA2 firmly in the crosshairs. When I read What HiFi to see what their take was on the HA2 I saw a mention of the best in class DAC/AMP was something called a Mojo. Comparing reviews there I see the Mojo was in their opinion a class above all others in this price range and indeed up to about the £1000 bracket.

I read one or two further reviews from other HiFi Audio centric websites but non from any forums. For me the Mojo sounded, from the 'professionals' like the DAC to get and for my needs size and price were just about right.

I too bought it on Amazon within 2 days of reading the first review but unlike yourself, did not read this forum until having owned and used my Mojo for a few weeks and that was only because I wasn't aware that this thread existed (I hadn't been active on Head-Fi for nearly a year)

What I am trying to say is 'Only you can judge, only your experiences matter to you, only you can tell if the Mojo is for you or not'

I personally have read this thread from start to finish, but only my own experience and my ears really count, because at the end of the day it's how you feel about the product and not others experiences.

As a good friend always says to me

'Know Thy Self'

I have not had any issues with my Mojo, none that have been highlighted in the thread.

Open the box, try your Mojo and above all try to listen to the MUSIC only and enjoy, try not to analyse or search for issues. If there is a problem or fault it will make itself known

Please just try to enjoy

will an ipod nano 6th gen work with the mojo? 

The Mojo accepts, as inputs, USB, COAX and Optical only

Jan 17, 2016 at 7:45 AM Post #9,409 of 42,765
@xtr4
i understand the FPGA designs makes the dac and amp essentally the same... what im really trying to get at is, can the FPGA's amp functions be bypassed so it is used simply as a DAC, and the two 3.5mm outs are true line outputs to prevent double amping

Paste
Think of the Mojo (and Hugo) as a full sized CD player that has a variable line level output (for pre-amping) - there is no amplifier inside the CD player...

Sane principle applies.

Jan 17, 2016 at 7:57 AM Post #9,410 of 42,765
yes exactly, Hugo, mojo, TT and Dave are like high end CD player with variable volume. what hi fi in Hugo's review said that Hugo can save many thousands $ for a high end preamp, if used as preamp. i feed Hugo directly to a power amp and results are extremely good. only thing you will have to get up to change the volume in case of mojo and Hugo.

Jan 17, 2016 at 10:55 AM Post #9,417 of 42,765
I noticed something interesting w/mojo. When playing and charging at the same time from my macbookpro it gets quite a it hotter than when doing the same from an iPhone.

Jan 17, 2016 at 11:23 AM Post #9,419 of 42,765
Hi.

Has somebody pared the DX100 to Mojo?

Which is the best way to connect it, via optical or coaxial?

Could somebody recommend me one cable that can be buy it in Amazon?

Thanks

This is what I use for dx80 to mojo, but I'm. Afraid there is a better way? Can someone help me?

Jan 17, 2016 at 11:40 AM Post #9,420 of 42,765
Pha 3 has balanced connection, mojo does not, would that be a factor for you ? Idk....

I'm using the Audeze EL-8 and just noticed they sell a balanced cable for use with the PHA-3 so if I decide to keep the PHA-3 I will get that cable and run it balanced.  Given what I can get in a sale of the PHA-3 I should probably just keep it vs trade for a Mojo unless you all think the Mojo is noticeably better.  This may be a different decision if I was considering buying both new given the price differential.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back