Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jan 6, 2016 at 10:32 AM Post #8,671 of 42,765
I agree with my esteemed colleague Andrew. I have the Mojo/SE846 combination. I continue to harp on this point but what recordings and masters are you listening to that fail to impress you. I just had a WOW moment just this weekend with my rig.

I have been a lifelong Rush fan but the digital recordings always left me cold and the mastering was just a wall of sound. I decided to take a chance and bought the 5 classic Rush albums from HDTracks and they left me speechless. Incredible dynamics and instrument separation made the new 2015 recordings come alive like I was back in my parent's basement back in the 1970's with the original vinyls. 16/44, 24/96 or DSD is almost irrelevant, the master makes the music come alive.

p.s. the classic era Rush is '2112' through 'Moving Pictures'.

yeah! Rush is great via Mojo. In fact, all dense Prog Rock Ive tried with Mojo is really opened up. Suddenly all makes sense! Older Genesis, Yes, Rush, King Crimson, ELP, etc sounds fab. And the new stuff from Opeth, Riverside, Steve Wilson, Porcupine Tree, Dream Theater, etc is sounding superb!

Ive made a special Prog-Rock 128gb sdcard to dip into... nice!

Jan 6, 2016 at 10:36 AM Post #8,672 of 42,765
yeah! Rush is great via Mojo. In fact, all dense Prog Rock Ive tried with Mojo is really opened up. Suddenly all makes sense! Older Genesis, Yes, Rush, King Crimson, ELP, etc sounds fab. And the new stuff from Opeth, Riverside, Steve Wilson, Porcupine Tree, Dream Theater, etc is sounding superb!

Remastering and recording does make a difference, but the se846 just seem limited and put together, not spacial at all... Idk what to do, tested some grado open back 1k$ model and a nighthawk and UE 18 and just was way disappointed... The se846 I feel sound better, but no space, tight Soundstage...
Idk. Loosing hope

Jan 6, 2016 at 10:42 AM Post #8,674 of 42,765
I wish everyone started what iem they are using with mojo, it would help me out to decide a different iem

What if we were all using sure se846? Then what? :rolling_eyes:
As suggested, read all the hundreds of reviews on headfi and take note to those that compare sound signatures to your 846s... but in the end, there's no substitution for trying them out before you buy. Even if you did know what iems we were using, we all have different preferences for sound signature and would all recommend something a little different. Making a purchasing decision based on other peoples preferences is the easiest way to waste money. You have to figure out what you like and decide based on that

Jan 6, 2016 at 10:42 AM Post #8,675 of 42,765
Remastering and recording does make a difference, but the se846 just seem limited and put together, not spacial at all... Idk what to do, tested some grado open back 1k$ model and a nighthawk and UE 18 and just was way disappointed... The se846 I feel sound better, but no space, tight Soundstage...
Idk. Loosing hope

understood. Have you tried the K3003s?

I find them very spacious and resolving indeed. Some really great wow moments with them regularly.

I was torn between the K3's and the 846's and went for the K3's because of the purportedly "dark" nature relatively speaking of the 846's.

The K3's work well with the warmish class a sound of the mojo.

Jan 6, 2016 at 10:43 AM Post #8,676 of 42,765
I wish everyone started what iem they are using with mojo, it would help me out to decide a different iem

With respect, this is a Mojo thread, and plenty of Mojo owners have offered you plenty of suggestions and advice, on many topics, including potential choice of IEMs/CIEMs.

Nothing anyone advises you seems to be sufficient for you, and I suspect you are seeking a definitive 'magic answer', that saves you from doing serious research, but, unfortunately, it just doesn't work like that. Sorry; I know you probably don't want to hear me say that.

Have you tried a pair of SE846 that you DEFINITELY know are genuine? I hope yours are, too, but it seems there is a potential question mark about that, in light of how cheaply you got them, and the fact that fake pairs do exist.

Please understand that I am saying this in a pleasant, friendly way, but it is now time for you to go and ask IEM questions in the relevant IEM sections of the forum.

If you need support for your Mojo, come right back and ask, and we'll all happily assist you.

But, for now, for your IEM quest, this is not the appropriate thread.

Good luck on your quest 
beerchug.gif

Also, I understand that no single product is the best for every single person on the planet - so, if it turns out the Mojo is not for you, after all, then that's totally fine, and I would like to reassure you that you will probably have no trouble at all selling it to a fellow head-fier, so that you can perhaps try a different DAC-Amp or DAP that might suit your tastes better.

Whatever direction you take, I wish you happiness.

Jan 6, 2016 at 11:53 AM Post #8,677 of 42,765

You must be my prog brother from another mother. You just listed some of my favorite artists (other than Dream Theater after 'Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence' they jumped the shark).

Jan 6, 2016 at 12:16 PM Post #8,678 of 42,765
You must be my prog brother from another mother. You just listed some of my favorite artists (other than Dream Theater after 'Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence' they jumped the shark).

well... i know it's off topic, sorry. I do have a lot to learn still. Really appreciating the fact that there's this whole new generation of progsters making a new sound which has it's roots in metal and prog and is a fusion of both, and more. Thought we'd reached the end of new ideas by the 90's, but still finding fresh sounds in mid 2010's! It's so cool. Riverside's got me by the proverbials at the moment, long with Opeth. Their latest albums are just sublime. 

Need to work through more of all of it. Including Dream Theater and Steve Wilson. Not listened to enough!! 

Jan 6, 2016 at 12:24 PM Post #8,679 of 42,765
  well... i know it's off topic, sorry. I do have a lot to learn still. Really appreciating the fact that there's this whole new generation of progsters making a new sound which has it's roots in metal and prog and is a fusion of both, and more. Thought we'd reached the end of new ideas by the 90's, but still finding fresh sounds in mid 2010's! It's so cool. Riverside's got me by the proverbials at the moment, long with Opeth. Their latest albums are just sublime. 

Need to work through more of all of it. Including Dream Theater and Steve Wilson. Not listened to enough!! 

If you haven't already get a 24/96 download of latest Opeth "Pale Communion" from HD Tracks mixed by Steve Wilson.

SUBLIME through my Mojo.

Jan 6, 2016 at 1:07 PM Post #8,680 of 42,765

Sigh...after a couple hours of A/B, plugging, un plugging, critical listening sessions...etc. I don't even think ZX2 is a good match as a transport into the Mojo, and is an obvious waste of money. My Note 4 has better transparency and soundstage on 24/96 files feeding Mojo than Zx2 feeding the same signals. I think it is due to the ancient android on Zx2 somehow limiting data out badly ? Onkyo HF app can not even feed 24/96 into Mojo from the zx2, and only stock app can.....yeah, it doesn't even sound as decent as note 4 with android 5.1.....

Beside, note 4 with Onkyo HF player and up converting to DSD feeding Mojo is also very fun, try it out if you already have the Onkyo app, android phone and mojo. Though it is always best to stick to the original source.

***unless zx2 has a firmware upgrade***

Jan 6, 2016 at 1:34 PM Post #8,681 of 42,765
has anyone paired Mojo with a DX80 ? is there a sonic improvement over DX80 alone ?

Jan 6, 2016 at 1:39 PM Post #8,683 of 42,765
I don't know if sources have that much of a influence on SQ.
Many argue it's due to different inputs.
I am a little torn on that, cause it seems like the bits are bits argument.
Anyway I will test different sources and make up my mind.
Also still interested in testing a high end Otg cable... Maybe go all the way and order a custom Hugo link by Curious Cables.

Jan 6, 2016 at 1:42 PM Post #8,684 of 42,765
I don't know if sources have that much of a influence on SQ.
Many argue it's due to different inputs.
I am a little torn on that, cause it seems like the bits are bits argument.
Anyway I will test different sources and make up my mind.
Also still interested in testing a high end Otg cable... Maybe go all the way and order a custom Hugo link by Curious Cables.

From my testing and experiences...it is less likely that source can do much of a different....perhap it is the software the OS itself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back