Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Dec 24, 2015 at 9:29 AM Post #7,516 of 42,765
Merry Christmas to all supporters of the best product of 2015

Dec 24, 2015 at 9:31 AM Post #7,517 of 42,765
Just to confirm that mojo stores it's last volume setting when switched off and will return it on powering up. So any level previously used will return as was. Note the three volt set level is not s default setting and was included as a known set level that is the same and has been standard for all chord Dac since the Dac 64 twenty years ago. Those pre or power amps that cannot tolerate this level is an indicator that they have not been designed with sufficient input level margin. However this is not a problem for Mojo customers as they can select any level that suits their ancillary equipment.

Thank you for taking the time to explain.

I am unsteady about this and need to think. I thought previously that line level was a different function with a memorised level. One which would not be changed by using Mojo in headphone mode.

I use line out and headphone out on my current DAC.  I often have both active speakers and headphones plugged in at the same time. I do not know if I could always remember to have the Mojo set to the right power-out. (I forsee blowing my 32 ohm Grado headphones. (I am most definitely accident prone to something like this.) It's sad because it means I think I need to pass on the Mojo and had been so excited about it. I have a Mojo sat a few feet away still sealed in its box. I am however trying to talk myself into using the Mojo of course.

I also thought loosely that the Hugo might be better for me. With it having a dedicated line-out I presume. However if it runs at 3V and can't be changed it would over-run on my active speakers.

My active speakers have two analogue inputs. One runs at 1.2V max and the other at 2.2V max. When I put a 2V signal from my DAC into the 1.2V line-in, it occasionally distorts. (Presumably at high signal levels.) If the Hugo is fixed at 3V then I fear it would do that on my 2.2V input.

Anyway whatever, Merry Xmas Chord Electronics (and Head-Fi).

Dec 24, 2015 at 9:46 AM Post #7,518 of 42,765
I did get the sysconcepts optical cable ( great place to deal with). Since it happens with two different cables I feel I can rule out cables being my problem (I was not very clear about the cable in the original post). With the better cable I get a poping sound during playback. All that aside I really like the unit, sonic improvement is huge.

Dec 24, 2015 at 10:15 AM Post #7,520 of 42,765
Hi Kenny,
Ruling out the cables, what's the firmware on your AK100 II? Do you have issues with analogue line out?
It could be the fault of the optical out jack (worse case scenario)
My AK100 doesn't work well with certain custom optical cables whereas my AK120 has no issues. My conclusion, looking at the build quality of the AKs, the 120 jack is slightly more recessed than my 100. Therefore, the optical lens will be seated closer in the 120 than the 100 which is why some custom cables lose signal

Dec 24, 2015 at 11:53 AM Post #7,521 of 42,765
The waiting til the 1st charge overs is killing me.. argh! 
frown.gif

Dec 24, 2015 at 12:21 PM Post #7,522 of 42,765
frown.gif

mine is wrapped up for xmas then the long charge will begin....... can't wait

Dec 24, 2015 at 12:27 PM Post #7,523 of 42,765

frown.gif

mine is wrapped up for xmas then the long charge will begin....... can't wait

The first charge generally doesn't tend to take too long - yes, it is possible that it may take 10 hours, but because Mojos are selling (and being manufactured) like hotcakes, the batteries are very fresh and many people find their new units are fully-charged within 4-5 hours (make sure your charger is capable of delivering at least 1amp to the Mojo).

As soon as the tiny white LED indicates full charge has been reached, you're good-to-go
happy_face1.gif

Dec 24, 2015 at 12:44 PM Post #7,524 of 42,765

Well i did more testing and in the process i got a DSD playing and i turned the unit from vertical to horizontal, all sound stopped, back to vertical i get sound. Inspected the cable, changed the cable, turned to various positions, played different formats and sometimes the sound would stop.i also tried the AK without Mojo and it didn't care if it was upside down or any position and it still played. in this process I heard something ratteling around inside of mojo.It doesn't move much but it moves. I sent an email to Moon Audio. It was a showroom model so i hope I'm not out several hundred dollars.

Dec 24, 2015 at 1:44 PM Post #7,525 of 42,765

Well i did more testing and in the process i got a DSD playing and i turned the unit from vertical to horizontal, all sound stopped, back to vertical i get sound. Inspected the cable, changed the cable, turned to various positions, played different formats and sometimes the sound would stop.i also tried the AK without Mojo and it didn't care if it was upside down or any position and it still played. in this process I heard something ratteling around inside of mojo.It doesn't move much but it moves. I sent an email to Moon Audio. It was a showroom model so i hope I'm not out several hundred dollars.

I tried a used AK100 with my Mojo with several different cables including the Moon Audio Mojo-AK100 short cable.
I could not always get digital out and when I dit it would last for 5-10 minutes before cutting out and some times several days before I was able to connect again.
I returned the unit without any issues and the seller who was very helpful was able to demonstrate to me a working optical out with his Chord Hugo

Go figure.

I was not able to get light out of the AK100 optical port no matter what I tried and judging by several posts I have read in this thread and others on Head-Fi, probably an issue with the AK100 and not with your Mojo. (I proved my cables and Mojo were OK by connecting to the digital out of my CD player).

Could also be something has lodged in the Mini-Toslink jack restricting light, dust and or other foreign body????
blink.gif

Dec 24, 2015 at 2:49 PM Post #7,526 of 42,765
Mojo in the house!

I have to say I am a little disappointed with the lack of accessories. At least a run of the mill USB cable would have been nice.

Any suggestion for a nice and short OTG micro USB to micro USB cable? Primary use would be with Xperia Z3.  

Dec 24, 2015 at 3:05 PM Post #7,527 of 42,765
Got mine here
http://m.ebay.com.au/itm/301669713346?rmvSB=true&ul_ref=http%3A%2F%2Frover.ebay.com%2Frover%2F1%2F711-53200-19255-0%2F1%3Fcampid%3D5337413452%26toolid%3D10001%26mpre%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.ebay.com.au%252Fitm%252F10cm-Right-Angle-to-Left-Angle-Micro-USB-Host-OTG-Cable-4-DAC-Digital-Amplifier-%252F301669713346%26srcrot%3D711-53200-19255-0%26rvr_id%3D956444200747&_mwBanner=1&ul_noapp=true

Dec 24, 2015 at 3:14 PM Post #7,528 of 42,765
  Mojo in the house!

I have to say I am a little disappointed with the lack of accessories. At least a run of the mill USB cable would have been nice.

Any suggestion for a nice and short OTG micro USB to micro USB cable? Primary use would be with Xperia Z3.  

Mine came with a short (very short) USB cable.

Dec 24, 2015 at 3:25 PM Post #7,529 of 42,765
Just to confirm that mojo stores it's last volume setting when switched off and will return it on powering up. So any level previously used will return as was. Note the three volt set level is not s default setting and was included as a known set level that is the same and has been standard for all chord Dac since the Dac 64 twenty years ago. Those pre or power amps that cannot tolerate this level is an indicator that they have not been designed with sufficient input level margin. However this is not a problem for Mojo customers as they can select any level that suits their ancillary equipment.

How do we select the level that suits our equipment? 

Selecting in terms of volume alone or on the voltage?

Dec 24, 2015 at 3:38 PM Post #7,530 of 42,765
How do we select the level that suits our equipment? 

Selecting in terms of volume alone or on the voltage?

If using the line level volume shortcut is too much for your amp then just lower the voltage by lowering the volume. That's all there is to it. :wink_face:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back