Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Dec 8, 2015 at 4:54 AM Post #6,421 of 42,765
Looks like i have to return it?
frown.gif

https://soundcloud.com/henrikkj/mojowav
Noise from charging...

Dec 8, 2015 at 6:27 AM Post #6,425 of 42,765
I had been using my iPhone 6S Plus and or Huawei G8 smartphones with Onkyo HF player and USB Audio Player pro apps respectively with the Chord Mojo. Now I'm using the iBasso DX80 optical out with Chord Mojo. The difference is frightening good.

The Mojo did things with my headphones and music not witnessed before. With the iBasso DX80 everything takes another leap forward.

What cable are you using? The optical cable I got with my Hugo doesn't seem to work with the DX80. 

Thanks

Dec 8, 2015 at 6:31 AM Post #6,426 of 42,765
  I've been sucked into inadvertent skepticism before because of rave reviews. And, with the proviso that there appears to be some QC issues re: hiss, Mojo is as good as the reviews suggest.

Good news mine has no hiss granted the S-EM9 are close to 40 ohms, that helps but it's dead black even when charging.

And yes, I am not disappointed, it simply blows out any DAC/Amp/DAP I have owned... that includes my beloved ZX2 the synergy of the Mojo with the S-EM9 is way better they now sing! My best amp/dac so far was the (more expensive) PHA-3 and the Mojo is definitely ahead. I had seen pictures but how small this is when actually in hand is amazing. I'll try the Mojo with the MDR-Z7 now!

Edit : Wondering if the headphone out will support the TRRS cable I have ordered for the S-EM9 with the ZX2... I guess not?

Dec 8, 2015 at 6:45 AM Post #6,427 of 42,765
Of all the product that get hyped here on headfirst, it's One of the few that I've purchased that has lived upto to the hype. The mojo is an incredible piece of tech.

Dec 8, 2015 at 7:01 AM Post #6,428 of 42,765
Agreed on the hype it has had lots of claims and not everyone may like it - most of my friends like it but one friend feels it is too clinical and precise in it's presentation and another said it was not worth the giantkiller status that had been given to it.
I believe there must be headfiers that have had the Mojo for long enough now for the so called new toy syndrome to have worn off. If you have no opportunity of listening to the Mojo before buying it may be worth asking on here how your current system is compared to the Mojo.
I went from a Dacmagic Plus and 02/0dac to the Mojo. I still have a separate amp the size of a large suitcase because the HE6 needs it and the HD800 benefits from it, but for IEMs and more sensitive phones they don't need anything more than the Mojo

Dec 8, 2015 at 7:12 AM Post #6,429 of 42,765
What cable are you using? The optical cable I got with my Hugo doesn't seem to work with the DX80. 

Thanks

I bought this cable. I got the 0.5m which is slightly too long but it will do until I find something shorter. I have a coaxial cable arriving soon and will see which digital connection produces the getter sound.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00SWYU92U

Dec 8, 2015 at 7:17 AM Post #6,430 of 42,765
For me, if the detail is there in the recording, I want to hear it. *That* is high-fidelity audio to me.

I agree that it may not be for everyone. As I mentioned, I enjoy the Mojo most with well-mastered vocalist stuff.

And the pricing means that you can use a suitable smartphone or entry level DAP that does digital out and enjoy high-fidelity audio at a price point once reserved for much high priced DAPs and DAC combos.

Look, I think it makes the prices of AK stuff looking absolutely price-gorging.

Dec 8, 2015 at 7:44 AM Post #6,431 of 42,765
For me, if the detail is there in the recording, I want to hear it. *That* is high-fidelity audio to me.

I agree that it may not be for everyone. As I mentioned, I enjoy the Mojo most with well-mastered vocalist stuff.

And the pricing means that you can use a suitable smartphone or entry level DAP that does digital out and enjoy high-fidelity audio at a price point once reserved for much high priced DAPs and DAC combos.

Look, I think it makes the prices of AK stuff looking absolutely price-gorging.

Totally fair point. I think the only advantage to having a mid-high end DAP is being able to take it out solo to be ultra portable / pocket-sized. I just bought a decent one that also runs Tidal, which means I can stop connecting and disconnecting my iP6 from the DAC/amp (and running the battery down, and being interrupted by emails, SMS etc) for that reason. But from an SQ point of view, the iP is great with my Hugo (and I assume pretty much same is true of Mojo).

Dec 8, 2015 at 8:14 AM Post #6,432 of 42,765
FWIW I have zero hiss from my mojo when charging or playing when pair d with my extremely sensitive ADEL A12's. Mine is probably not in the first batch as I just got it in the mail last week.

Dec 8, 2015 at 8:16 AM Post #6,433 of 42,765
I bought this cable. I got the 0.5m which is slightly too long but it will do until I find something shorter. I have a coaxial cable arriving soon and will see which digital connection produces the getter sound.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00SWYU92U

Great - thanks for that. I'm also after a short (maybe 6 inches) optical cable. I'd be interested to know if there are any differences in sound with the coax cable.

Dec 8, 2015 at 9:02 AM Post #6,434 of 42,765
FWIW I have zero hiss from my mojo when charging or playing when pair d with my extremely sensitive ADEL A12's. Mine is probably not in the first batch as I just got it in the mail last week.

When charging, the sound I hear isn't from the headphone output, but from the device. Put your ear up to it whilst charging. Does it buzz or whine as in the SoundCloud recording earlier in this thread?

Dec 8, 2015 at 9:08 AM Post #6,435 of 42,765

When charging, the sound I hear isn't from the headphone output, but from the device. Put your ear up to it whilst charging. Does it buzz or whine as in the SoundCloud recording earlier in this thread?

Yes, there are a few units that exhibit that buzz noise when charging. If I didn't have a second Mojo for comparison, I might have ignored it since it does not have any issues if Mojo is not charging. It is quite noticeable at night when it's too quint and you are listening softly that you can hear the buzz with mojo a couple of feet away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back