Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Oct 16, 2015 at 6:22 PM Post #616 of 42,765

Dave does indeed sound incredible.  Best I've heard my HE1000s.

Getting a Mojo in for review in the near future, but all the hype praise on this thread is tempting me to just order one anyway
biggrin.gif

Oh, and...yay...1500 posts.  Only took me 10 years!
eek.gif

Congrats on 1500 Pedal! Now if you only weren't a contributor you'd be a Supremus! Cheers 

Oct 16, 2015 at 8:05 PM Post #622 of 42,765
I am existing Hugo owner. I feel no angst, annoyance or concerns in case the Mojo's sound is better or really close to Hugo's . But as the Mojo story is unfolding hour by hour - just excitement and interest in how Chord have put together this little marvel.

Good luck to the new Mojo owners - I may become one of them as well, but I won't be selling its bigger brother.:D

I highly highly doubt Mojo will sound as good as Hugo for fraction of cost. - it's made from same company nonethless, the same designer. Yes, Chord is a business. I am guessing it will share similar tone of Hugo and that's about it. Everything else should be better on hugo. Bass, extension, soundstage, details etc.
It should sound more intimate than Hugo, as in, smaller in soundstage - but people would be confused since the clocking is so well done on mojo, it actually gives more intimate presentation, when in reality it's shrinking of soundstage. But well implemented filtering is giving illusion of intimacy.

Oct 16, 2015 at 8:19 PM Post #623 of 42,765
Can the chord people shine some line, the local distributor cannot give me any specific time frame on when mojo is going to hit the market. He initially thought he should have his stock on the release time now he is telling me custom is keeping the stock and he has no idea when they might be released. 

I just want to know if the Australian market even have stock allocated to them or not, no hard feeling if not I just can rest easier if I know when I am getting my unit than paying for it not known when it will arrive, cheers.

Oct 16, 2015 at 8:21 PM Post #624 of 42,765
I highly highly doubt Mojo will sound as good as Hugo for fraction of cost. - it's made from same company nonethless, the same designer. Yes, Chord is a business. I am guessing it will share similar tone of Hugo and that's about it. Everything else should be better on hugo. Bass, extension, soundstage, details etc.
It should sound more intimate than Hugo, as in, smaller in soundstage - but people would be confused since the clocking is so well done on mojo, it actually gives more intimate presentation, when in reality it's shrinking of soundstage. But well implemented filtering is giving illusion of intimacy.
The amp section of the MoJo has been re-worked over that of the Hugo, and sounds quite different, and I can tell you that bass slam, texture and, to these ears, extension definitely tilts the MoJo's direction. general tonality is warmer, so - it isn't like the two items are big brother and little brother fighting to see who can reach the top of the stairs first, morelike cousins, hitting on the same girl in a nightclub, one tall and blond, the other short and muscular ...

Oct 16, 2015 at 8:30 PM Post #625 of 42,765
The amp section of the MoJo has been re-worked over that of the Hugo, and sounds quite different, and I can tell you that bass slam, texture and, to these ears, extension definitely tilts the MoJo's direction. general tonality is warmer, so - it isn't like the two items are big brother and little brother fighting to see who can reach the top of the stairs first, morelike cousins, hitting on the same girl in a nightclub, one tall and blond, the other short and muscular ...

I never heard the Mojo yet so it was just a wild guess reading a few posts back of owners of both Hugo and mojo saying they sound similar. But as a business - I think what you are describing makes much more sense. It's a different product in a different line. Kind of of like solid state vs tubes - different sound.
I may be exaggerating but using this example to get point across. I have hugo, so I'll be able to do my own comparisons soon. :D

Oct 16, 2015 at 8:38 PM Post #626 of 42,765
I highly highly doubt Mojo will sound as good as Hugo for fraction of cost. - it's made from same company nonethless, the same designer. They are a business.

Understood, but actually, yesterday at Stereo Exchange, I felt, as did another member who's posted on this thread, that the Mojo was the equal of the Hugo. We were using an AK240 as a source and the new Audeze LCD-4 headphones.

The Chord rep had the both the Mojo and Hugo and we were able to connect and disconnect the various cables to do a side by side comparison of the Mojo and the Hugo. 

I will say that during one of the trials I felt that the Mojo was just a bit shy of being the full equal of the Hugo, but then in another listen it seemed just about the same. Granted this was a short test in a somewhat noisy environment. But if after extensive comparative listening in the future it turns out that the Mojo is not considered the full equal of the Hugo, I would expect any differences to be minor. Yes, the Mojo is the real deal and is quite amazing.  

I'll also mention that using the AK240 with the Mojo and LCD-4 headphones produced a nice improvement versus using just the AK240 (without the Mojo) and the LCD-4.  But I'll note that the LCD-4 is not a sensitive headphone, requiring maximum output of the AK240 (while my LCD-X,for example, only requires a bit more than two-thirds output).  It's entirely possible that with more sensitive headphones there may not be a difference between the AK240 and the Mojo.  For example, I used my Shure SE846 IEMs with the AK240 alone and then AK240 plus Mojo and didn't hear any difference in my short listen.  

Oct 16, 2015 at 8:44 PM Post #627 of 42,765
Chord has said a few times, and in their marketing material as well, that the MoJo has Hugo like sound. Does that mean 'same as' or 'similar to'? That's up to users to report I guess but they obviously have a business plan that they are happy to follow through on. I do know they are VERY proud of the MoJo.

Oct 16, 2015 at 8:45 PM Post #628 of 42,765

Another owner of both Hugo and Mojo also said midrange is much more present and full. I can only guess in comparison to speakers, the Mojo is a good dome tweeter vs. Hugo - a RAAL tweeter sound.

With more presence, it's inevitable transparency, air is compromised. Not that anything is wrong with dome tweeters, I just hope it's a custom made dome tweeter like the one used in Dynaudio C1 signatures which is well balanced between presence and transparency. I guess I will just have to wait to hear it for myself.

Oct 16, 2015 at 8:45 PM Post #629 of 42,765
  Can the chord people shine some line, the local distributor cannot give me any specific time frame on when mojo is going to hit the market. He initially thought he should have his stock on the release time now he is telling me custom is keeping the stock and he has no idea when they might be released. 

I just want to know if the Australian market even have stock allocated to them or not, no hard feeling if not I just can rest easier if I know when I am getting my unit than paying for it not known when it will arrive, cheers.

I'll find out for you mate, could be Monday now before I get an answer... btw looks like a easy quarter-final for your mob on Sunday...
normal_smile .gif

Oct 16, 2015 at 8:54 PM Post #630 of 42,765
Ok, let's just clarify one thing. When posters put here is a difference in soundstage, bass/MR etc, we're talking of very marginal differences. We're trying to split hairs here.

I'm comparing it to the Hugo TT, and I can say its very close. There is just a little extra extension and weight to the bass from the TT.

Perhaps more demanding cans will reveal greater differences. RW did mention omething about lowering noise floor at the epense of bass/treble response. The result is a comparatively warmer sound compared to the Hugo.

I too wonder where the original Hugo fits in. But my dealer pointed ou the things which I have forgotten. The Hugo has selective crossfeed and selectable inputs. But the most important thing the Hugo have, is a desktop capable preamp section.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back