Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Sep 17, 2021 at 6:15 AM Post #41,896 of 42,765
I believe Rob Watts had explained this, this kind of interference is not RFI (if memory serves) but EMI!
Caused by close proximity of the phone to Mojo, a longer USB cable to keep them apart should remedy.
common issue which is the biggest disappointment when it comes to mojo being a mobile device. More of transportable rather a day/amp connected to your mobile while on the go.

Sep 17, 2021 at 8:09 AM Post #41,898 of 42,765
Sep 17, 2021 at 9:10 AM Post #41,901 of 42,765
common issue which is the biggest disappointment when it comes to mojo being a mobile device. More of transportable rather a day/amp connected to your mobile while on the go.
Using an elastic band to keep phone and a DAC together with a one-inch USB cable was a bad idea to begin with.
I have always used a longer thinner USB cable to keep my DAC in one pocket (usually top pocket) and the phone in another.
Makes it easier to take the phone out and choose tracks.
Frankly apart from volume control, I don't need to handle the DAC.
Whatever make the DAC would be.

Sep 17, 2021 at 9:39 AM Post #41,902 of 42,765
Using an elastic band to keep phone and a DAC together with a one-inch USB cable was a bad idea to begin with.
I have always used a longer thinner USB cable to keep my DAC in one pocket (usually top pocket) and the phone in another.
Makes it easier to take the phone out and choose tracks.
Frankly apart from volume control, I don't need to handle the DAC.
Whatever make the DAC would be.
Sorry but that’s not a workable solution for a mobile application. If it works for some then great but let’s not call it mobile joy. More of a mobile nightmare. I like my mojo poly combo which makes it more mobile but yet again I use it only as desktop and around the house.

Sep 17, 2021 at 10:14 AM Post #41,903 of 42,765
I hope I have not previously claimed anything in absolute terms.
For clarity, it wasn't the cables I was commenting. Since I made all those cables, all were of similar material and workmanship, one I had made differently, and that one was filtering some (must have) RFI, hence the better sound.
What was interesting, was the fact that putting the phone on plane mode, didn't produce a major effect! where was the RFI coming from?
I still don't believe in exotic materials, super expensive cables. There are bad cables out there surely (I made some), but there is a point beyond which you can not improve on a digiyal cable.
Well what if those exotic materials improve on the EMI of “standard” materials, and thus sound more refined that way, just like you experienced with that USB cable?

This is a perfect example as to why you shouldn’t disregard stuff like that. I also think that some cables, even with exotic materials, don’t necessarily sound BETTER, but just different, due to the way they’re constructed, either with the material, the construction or both. All have slight variations in end result of the sound.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2021 at 10:37 AM Post #41,904 of 42,765
Well what if those exotic materials improve on the EMI of “standard” materials, and thus sound more refined that way, just like you experienced with that USB cable?

This is a perfect example as to why you shouldn’t disregard stuff like that. I also think that some cables, even with exotic materials, don’t necessarily sound BETTER, but just different, due to the way they’re constructed, either with the material, the construction or both. All have slight variations in end result of the sound.
I hear you, but would you agree there are such people as snake-oil merchants?
Yes by all means , use better material, but if you are paying £100 a meter for a cat 5 cable, somebody is doing you, left right & centre!
Digital cables can get better to a degree, they are not sensitive as analogue.
In this case, the culprit is Mojo's sensitivity to such interferences more than the cable.
You also need a keen pair of ears, right set of headphones and circumstances.
I will never pay more than £20 for a passive digital interconnect.
I am sure there are those who would, good luck to them.

Sep 17, 2021 at 10:39 AM Post #41,905 of 42,765
I actually tried that for a day, like @Another Audiophile said it was not a pleasant experience. "OK" at home but not anywhere else and definately not something I'd wanna deal with daily.

This talk of cable quality got me wanting to try and experiment for myself if digital cables effect sound (not expensive cables). I definitely notice differences when swapping Headphone Cables but have not yet tried different USB Cables...

I'm curious if next Mojo will have better USB filtering (not sure if that's the right word?). Something like Unison USB in Schiit products or iPurifier that's built into my iDSD Signature, that's supposed to filter out EMI or Noise...

Sep 17, 2021 at 10:51 AM Post #41,906 of 42,765
Sep 17, 2021 at 10:51 AM Post #41,907 of 42,765
This talk of cable quality got me wanting to try and experiment for myself if digital cables effect sound (not expensive cables). I definitely notice differences when swapping Headphone Cables but have not yet tried different USB Cables...
Make sure they have a ferrite and possibly shielded. they help with induced noise.
I'm curious if next Mojo will have better USB filtering (not sure if that's the right word?). Something like Unison USB in Schiit products or iPurifier that's built into my iDSD Signature, that's supposed to filter out EMI or Noise...
A very short USB cable, puts the phone next to Mojo. you can buy the best cable on the planet, but if the two are one inch apart, then you get noise induced through air!
So keeping them apart is a must, or use the toslink, but I have not seen a phone with one.
USB isolation is what is required, meaning USB is not directly connected to the device, this requires active circuitry that will use some juice from the battery, shortening playback time.
That's why, Chord decided against it.
I hope there would be a "next Mojo" with issues addressed.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2021 at 11:04 AM Post #41,908 of 42,765
Do you think it's fake?

I just notified the Mojo, Qutest, and Hugo 2 thread about it.

I saw it weeks ago in the Chord Anni thread, but no-one else was talking about it. (https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chord-anni.959277/) They were asking if it's real or fake though. .. Figured I should let folk know.
I don't think is fake. just not officially announced yet and dealers keep leaking info.

Sep 17, 2021 at 11:15 AM Post #41,909 of 42,765
I hear you, but would you agree there are such people as snake-oil merchants?
Yes by all means , use better material, but if you are paying £100 a meter for a cat 5 cable, somebody is doing you, left right & centre!
Digital cables can get better to a degree, they are not sensitive as analogue.
In this case, the culprit is Mojo's sensitivity to such interferences more than the cable.
You also need a keen pair of ears, right set of headphones and circumstances.
I will never pay more than £20 for a passive digital interconnect.
I am sure there are those who would, good luck to them.
Yeah, there certainly is way overpriced stuff out there and stuff that doesn’t sound better than cheaper stuff. I do believe up until a certain point of performance, which doesn’t have to be above £100, it’s more about the difference of sounds that certain cables, expensive or cheap bring, instead of actual improvements.

Though some people see those differences as improvements, and some see the same differences as downgrades.

Sep 17, 2021 at 12:47 PM Post #41,910 of 42,765
This is my portable set up theses days, the flexibility of the short optical cable allows me to stack the DAP & Mojo in different ways.

The thickness of the stack shown in the first photo wraps perfectly in my hand (thanks to the ultra slim external USB battery pack powering the Mojo) any thinner and the tip of my fingers would reach/rest on the volume balls.

I am one of those people who prefers using a dedicated DAP as opposed to a smartphone because i don't like music getting interrupted by phone calls, messaging, etc and more importantly; the reduced battery life. Besides, smartphones are thin enough to slide in any other pocket.

20210917_094031.jpg

Attachments

• 20210917_094136.jpg
    20210917_094136.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20210917_093902.jpg
    20210917_093902.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back