Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Feb 15, 2019 at 5:40 AM Post #38,161 of 42,765
I HIGHLY recommend ferrite chokes and the Jitterbug, if you're using laptop USB as a source. It just makes the Mojo that much more cleaner and engaging

Whilst this is great for cheaper, not-so-well shielded cables it may in fact be detrimental to well shielded cables. Cables like the QED Reference and Supra are already well shielded and introducing additional shielding by way of ferrite chokes may have a negative effect on sound.

Note! Be careful in the use of ferrites. Not all ferrites are tuned correctly to be used with this high frequency data transfer cable without changing the electrical proporties of the cable to the point where the data transfer is corrupted and/or slowed down. This is a general notification for all digital interconnects. We have encountered HDMI cables not coming even close to the original excellent performance, thanks to later added ferrites with the benign intention of reducing RFI.

Source

Feb 16, 2019 at 9:16 AM Post #38,163 of 42,765
I found this little USB to optical/coax (it has I2C audio out too) digital adaptor on Amazon. Mojo has always definitely sounded better using its optical input to me and it seems to eliminate the RF noise that can be an issue with Mojo. This is more trans-portable than fully portable but with a bag to put it in I suppose you could call it portable.
IMG_3640.JPG
Its given me my Mojo back.

Feb 16, 2019 at 3:27 PM Post #38,166 of 42,765
iPhone dongle measures pretty well. Can’t really drive a lot of full sized cans though.
It didn't do a bad job of the 600's at all.I was very surprised. A little more headroom would be good but a simple amp would provide that.

Feb 16, 2019 at 3:45 PM Post #38,167 of 42,765
Just got back from running a blind test with a switch box between Mojo and iPhone dongle. Result. No discernable difference.
I’m surprised, coukd be the side of the bed you got out of.
iPhone I score at 3, mojo I score at 9 (relatively).
I know nothing, but I do believe; the act of engaging in the test, causes stress which destroy the brains ability to hear.
I recount my excellent story, you know the one, that day I forgot my mojo, was listening to some jazz on my iPhone, thought to myself, you know what, this is pretty good; maybe all this mojo isn’t necessary.
Then my wife dropped my mojo down to me, I was completely shocked at the difference. I was now hearing realistic timbre of instruments that raised the level of engagement hugely.
I wasn’t expecting this, it just happened. If I’d have set it up as a test, it wouldn’t have been so profound, or maybe I’d not have detected it.
Also reminds me of auditioning mojo, I couldn’t really hear any difference.
Over the next few weeks I stayed up till 3am every night, as it was in fact a revelation to me.
Ymmv.

Feb 16, 2019 at 4:42 PM Post #38,168 of 42,765
It’s not just how Mojo sounds, but how Mojo makes you feel that’s most important. There were times I forced myself to listen to the iPhone dongle and even though it sounded fine I found myself a lot less engaged in the music and wanted to do something else.

Feb 16, 2019 at 4:47 PM Post #38,169 of 42,765
Just got back from running a blind test with a switch box between Mojo and iPhone dongle. Result. No discernable difference.

I used to be in that camp as well but I no longer believe in quick AB switching because from many of my own experiences ive learned it takes time adjust to a sound. Same happened with the 650 and 660S, at first i thought they were too close sounding to tell apart, then i went back to 650 after 2 weeks and was very disappointed with the muddy and slow sound i had grew to love.

Feb 16, 2019 at 4:49 PM Post #38,170 of 42,765
It’s not just how Mojo sounds, but how Mojo makes you feel that’s most important. There were times I forced myself to listen to the iPhone dongle and even though it sounded fine I found myself a lot less engaged in the music and wanted to do something else.
I have spent four year listening to Mojo convinced of that. I call expectation bias and placebo. Put simply, wishful thinking.

Feb 16, 2019 at 5:08 PM Post #38,172 of 42,765
You couldnt hear any difference at all of using mojo soley for 4 years and then using iphone dongle?
That is what I am saying. I guess maybe if I enjoy the phone as much will be proof. Certainly in AB testing today, absolutely no difference in sound or emotion b

Users who are viewing this thread

Back