Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Apr 25, 2018 at 12:50 PM Post #36,211 of 42,765
Apple are to blame, not Chord, but it seems you are dead-set on pointing the finger of blame at Chord.

If you don't like MFI hassles, then why buy an iPhone?

I don't mean to seem argumentative, but it simply isn't fair to blame Chord for MFI, when they did not create the problem.
Likewise I am not trying to be difficult. Just registering my experience.
Simple answer here. Apple makes thre superior phone. Chord makes the superior DAC.

It’s just too bad there isn’t an elegant solution to use both at once.
This exactly.

Apr 25, 2018 at 3:51 PM Post #36,212 of 42,765
I want to buy the mojo but what is the mojo of the musical fidelity? how dac for hifi is the sound of the mojo better?
We can only suggest you equipment to demo.
We are inevitably biased, to some extent.
During the first few months of this thread, many people posted about visiting a dealer, to demo a Mojo, then walking out of the shop with a Mojo.
I believe that you should demo the Mojo. If you cannot demo, but buy blind, then I expect that you will find that you will find the Mojo outstanding for the price.
However i will always feel uneasy recommending that people buy the Mojo without a demo. :slight_smile:

Apr 25, 2018 at 4:26 PM Post #36,213 of 42,765
We can only suggest you equipment to demo.
We are inevitably biased, to some extent.
During the first few months of this thread, many people posted about visiting a dealer, to demo a Mojo, then walking out of the shop with a Mojo.
I believe that you should demo the Mojo. If you cannot demo, but buy blind, then I expect that you will find that you will find the Mojo outstanding for the price.
However i will always feel uneasy recommending that people buy the Mojo without a demo. :slight_smile:

Definitely agree

Apr 25, 2018 at 4:38 PM Post #36,214 of 42,765
I have bought Mojo without any chance to demo. Well, glad I did :)

Apr 25, 2018 at 4:48 PM Post #36,215 of 42,765
I heard the Mojo a couple of times at meets. Could hear no difference to the iPhone alone. Neither could two friends. After reading the designers posts on here I could not doubt his sincerity. Purchased the Mojo on a months trial. Many dealers offer this. That was eighteen months ago. I wouldn't want to be without the Mojo. I conclude that I am not good at detecting tiny differences in sound. It kind of crept up on me. Could all be delusion. Certainly makes me doubt my ability to audition gear! My suggestion is buy it on trial of at all possible.

Apr 25, 2018 at 10:53 PM Post #36,216 of 42,765
Hi there, just try to update my experience with mojo and Hibymusic, an app that I use to play DSD on my iPhone.
in the "advanced" setting there is one called Fixed output sampling rate which can support up to 192K fixed sampling.
When I used this function, I do find some difference when playing FLAC and MP3, anything lower than 192k really sounds better.
In here you can see I have image dragon for 44k, but on mojo, it shows 192k, it sounds even better to me.
41524710276_.pic_hd.jpg

Apr 26, 2018 at 2:09 AM Post #36,217 of 42,765
I have bought Mojo without any chance to demo. Well, glad I did :)
Did the same, and I was really blown away, even with my "not-so-hot" B&O H6 Gen 2 headphones.
Yesterday I listened to a new track, kind of jazz-club atmosphere, minimalistic, with singer and people in the audience talking, and several times I took off the headphones instinctively because I thought there was someone around me.
(I found it as free download: "Cowboy Junkies" engineered for headphones)

Then there are friends who don't immediately hear a big difference.

I could more easily describe the effect like a photograph.
iPhones take amazing photos in a super convenient, ultraportable package, but they appear somewhat fake. If you look closely the colors are distorted from over saturation, the edges have halos from oversharpening, the skin on people looks waxy from noise reduction.
The SQ from the Mojo is like the same image taken with a much better camera and lens, and processed with a very detailed, natural presentation, much higher resolution, preservation of the textures, the dynamic range, the 3 dimensionality, like a fine art color print. You can dive into that sound image, explore details and detect nuances that got all lost in the iphone photo, and it all feels so real!
Of course, it is still an image, but what a difference!

Happy Mojo owner here :L3000:

Apr 26, 2018 at 6:46 AM Post #36,219 of 42,765
Hi there, just try to update my experience with mojo and Hibymusic, an app that I use to play DSD on my iPhone.
in the "advanced" setting there is one called Fixed output sampling rate which can support up to 192K fixed sampling.
When I used this function, I do find some difference when playing FLAC and MP3, anything lower than 192k really sounds better.
In here you can see I have image dragon for 44k, but on mojo, it shows 192k, it sounds even better to me.

That's interesting, considering that Rob Watts took a very clear position on the question of upsampling...

rob watts said:
Converting the original file into DSD or up-sampling is a very bad idea. The rule of thumb is to always maintain the original data as Mojo's processing power is way more complex and capable than any PC or mobile device.

Apr 26, 2018 at 12:31 PM Post #36,220 of 42,765
Likewise I am not trying to be difficult. Just registering my experience.

This exactly.

I've been using this cable from Penon Audio that they make with an OG Apple CCK cable. It's served me well through all the iOS updates.

aj0xoe2l.jpg

Definitely a huge improvement in portability and "stackability" over a standard CCK + USB to mUSB set up.

Apr 26, 2018 at 2:16 PM Post #36,221 of 42,765
I've been using this cable from Penon Audio that they make with an OG Apple CCK cable. It's served me well through all the iOS updates.

aj0xoe2l.jpg

Definitely a huge improvement in portability and "stackability" over a standard CCK + USB to mUSB set up.

Is it this one?

https://penonaudio.com/audio-cable/blue-micro-usb-to-lightning-cable.html

This gives me pause though: "*It supports various formats decoding, but only supports up to the IOS11.2.6 version."

I bought a Meenova cable awhile back which worked great until the 10.3 mess. Just tried it again and it works for maybe a minute or two. See they have a new update so just purchased it, it's cheap enough to take a chance:

http://www.meenova.com/st/p/lgtnmuc.html

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2018 at 2:29 PM Post #36,222 of 42,765
I bought a Meenova cable awhile back which worked great until the 10.3 mess. Just tried it again and it works for maybe a minute or two.

It is not random that I was reluctant to list the Meenova CCK-circumvention cable in post #3 (even though some people urged me to add it, there)

I have nothing against the company; it's just that I was never convinced that their circumvention method would be reliable, because there was conflicting feedback from users of the cable, in this thread.

See they have a new update so just purchased it ....l

I would be interested to know what they have done to update it.

Is it this one?

https://penonaudio.com/audio-cable/blue-micro-usb-to-lightning-cable.html

This gives me pause though: "*It supports various formats decoding, but only supports up to the IOS11.2.6 version."

That's interesting - seems to lend some weight to my recent remark about iOS updates often breaking functionality, and also that it might be intentional.

Apr 26, 2018 at 2:50 PM Post #36,223 of 42,765
Apr 26, 2018 at 2:52 PM Post #36,224 of 42,765
It is not random that I was reluctant to list the Meenova CCK-circumvention cable in post #3 (even though some people urged me to add it, there)

I have nothing against the company; it's just that I was never convinced that their circumvention method would be reliable, because there was conflicting feedback from users of the cable, in this thread.It

It worked without a hitch for me, up until the time the CCK2 started failing as a circumvention method. I guess it was probably a couple months and a hundred hours or so of listening, some 20+ connects/disconnects, before the iOS update came down that caused it to stop working.

My understanding is the CCK3 chip has a different means of indicated to iOS that it's a compliant device and that the newer cable is supposed to simulate that. Not sure what the 11.2.6 business mentioned above would be referring to thougn.

Apr 26, 2018 at 2:57 PM Post #36,225 of 42,765
Pretty much. I had to get the more expensive pure silver version because this one was out of stock when I got my Mojo (JULY '17).

From my iPhone 7 then to iPhone X (iOS 11.3) now, I've had no problem at all.

Cool. I guess they're referring to something else beside standard connectivity then. I'm only streaming from Tidal hifi, and it works w/ my older circumvention cable, but I randomly get the device incompatibility message pop up every minute or three.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back