Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Nov 6, 2017 at 4:54 PM Post #34,306 of 42,765
That was my plan the whole time, but the led indicator's color is confusing. White/purple/blue -.- and right now im charging my mojo and will probably wait until the led completely shuts off. And searching ever since i got the unit, all the problems that ive seen regarding the led is just theirs are blinking which isnt the one im experiencing rght now. Im probably/hopefully seeing the color wrong
The blinking led, is an indication that your charger is not providing enough current (must be 1A minimum). Many owners have found that Samsung phone chargers, Apple chargers, and Anker chargers work well. I use Samsung chargers, and experience no problems.
The white light is generated by using three leds (red + green + blue) and in theory should produce white light. But manufacturing tolerances mean that some people like myself, see white light with a tinge of purple. Nothing to worry about, because the key point is that the light will go out when fully charged. I tend to charge at night, so if the light is out when i wake up in the morning, then I am happy.
I think that you will be ok in the long run, but you are just going through the phase of identifying which is the best charger to use, and for how long to charge your mojo. :relaxed:

Nov 6, 2017 at 5:29 PM Post #34,307 of 42,765
The phone volume won't make a difference. I use the 3V line out mode and adjust the car stereo accordingly. My car's system is nothing special (stock 2014 Mazda 3) and I've had no problems with clipping or distortion.

Is the 3V line out mode a fixed volume? What volume should I have the mojo in this scenario? Dont you usually put your source in this case the mojo when going into a car aux?

Nov 6, 2017 at 5:42 PM Post #34,308 of 42,765
Is the 3V line out mode a fixed volume? What volume should I have the mojo in this scenario? Dont you usually put your source in this case the mojo when going into a car aux?
The line out, is a fast track to 3V - but you can then change the voltage using the volume balls as normal. Each click of the balls represents 1 db, so the default 3V followed by four clicks of the -ve ball will result in an output voltage of 1.9 V, which is as close as we can get to the standard voltage of 2V.

Nov 6, 2017 at 5:51 PM Post #34,309 of 42,765
Should i expect to see changes on the led indicator?
The mojo that i got came with 1 black box, the unit and the cable, no manuals or cards whatsoever. Black box that u can pull out to open. Just like the white box but no tips or guides at the back but with complete prints etc. The box is completely plastic/sticker sealed. Im currently using the cable that came with it and the adapter from my nexus 5(1.2 output if im not mistaken)

Mojo User Manual
https://chordelectronics.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/Mojo-Manual-28072016.pdf

Nov 6, 2017 at 5:54 PM Post #34,310 of 42,765
after installing the relevant software for windows 7 on my laptop, I am left with 3 different ways to affect the volume that comes through to Shure 535Ltd SE iems.

digital out volume
windows media player volume
hardware volume buttons on mojo

Question (1)
Is there a recognised (best practice) procedure for the setting of these three different controls, to achieve optimum results?

Question (2)
Is there a recommended software application that is particularly suited to the Chord.? I am not after fancy equalizers or tone controls/bass boosts and such, I just want to hear the Mojo as its creators intended.

Any help/advice will be appreciated.

Nov 6, 2017 at 6:02 PM Post #34,311 of 42,765
That was my plan the whole time, but the led indicator's color is confusing. White/purple/blue -.- and right now im charging my mojo and will probably wait until the led completely shuts off. And searching ever since i got the unit, all the problems that ive seen regarding the led is just theirs are blinking which isnt the one im experiencing rght now. Im probably/hopefully seeing the color wrong

On second thoughts.

If the power LED is alternating between white and a colour. That happens to me sometimes, but only if I have the Mojo charging for more than about six hours. It has a cut-out on the charger if it goes past about six hours. This only happens when charging the Mojo and playing it at the same time. As then charging takes ages.

You should read the 3rd post as that is where the FAQ is. Also get the manual from the Chord website. Thirdly try the search function this website, as this has been covered before.

Another state is, if the power LED is alternating between on and off and is white when on. I think that means charger not supplying enough current.

Really though, you should be reading post three. I know I have answered this question more than once myself in this thread. (I have seen it answered many times.) It should still all be documented in post 3, although I think some information got lost. Due to the website re-design.

Best advice is to switch it off, and charge it for ten hours. Just be patient.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2017 at 7:36 PM Post #34,312 of 42,765
Alright I finally got Hugo and Mojo.

Also I've made myself a favor with the best audio gear investment of 50usd into THIS little thing and a pair of 1/4 TRS cables.

No more thinking and placebo psychological effects - just volume matching and pure blind ABing.

Using Fostex TH900 and Senn HD700 with various genres, bitrates, lossless formats, Foobars, Tidals and Google Music(my favorite) I was trying to spot a difference between Burson Conductor ES9018 and Chord DAC's.

Mojo vs Burson: Burson is cleaner, spacier, airier.
Mojo to Burson AMP via RCA vs Burson: no difference.

Hugo vs Burson: Unfortunately, I was unable to find even tiniest difference, then I asked my wife to click that A/B switch for me, but again was out of luck detecting that moment she clicked it.
Hugo DAC to Burson's AMP via RCA, using Bursons front panel switch could - absolutely the same.

Bottom line both sound great, but Hugo is smaller, lighter, has extremely weird controls and in/out placements.
Burson is bigger, heavier, more solid looking, has nice controls and in/out placements, but can serve as a small household heater.

Mojo's DAC is as great as Hugo's one, but AMP part is worse than Burson's guaranteed.

Also compared to OPPO Sonica and found zero difference between Burson's ES9018 and OPPO's ES9038 implementations - its just exactly same sound.
Week ago I really believed that Oppo's DAC sounded better that ES9018 Not just believed, I've heard it! :))

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2017 at 8:01 PM Post #34,313 of 42,765

Also I've made myself a favor with the best audio gear investment of 50usd into THIS little thing and a pair of 1/4 TRS cables.

No more thinking and placebo psychological effects - just volume matching and pure blind ABing.

Using Fostex TH900 and Senn HD700 with various genres, bitrates, lossless formats, Foobars, Tidals and Google Music(my favorite) I was trying to spot a difference between Burson Conductor ES9018 and Chord DAC's.

Hugo vs Burson: Unfortunately, I was unable to find even tiniest difference, then I asked my wife to click that A/B switch for me, but again was out of luck detecting that moment she clicked it.
Hugo DAC to Burson's AMP via RCA, using Bursons front panel switch could - absolutely the same.

Bottom line both sound great, but Hugo is smaller, lighter, has extremely weird controls and in/out placements.
Burson is bigger, heavier, more solid looking, has nice controls and in/out placements, but can serve as a small household heater.

Mojo's DAC is as great as Hugo's one, but AMP part is worse than Burson's guaranteed.

Also compared to OPPO Sonica and found zero difference between Burson's ES9018 and OPPO's ES9038 implementations - its just exactly same sound.
Week ago I really believed that Oppo's DAC sounded better that ES9018 Not just believed, I've heard it! :))

Thanks @escknx for this interesting experiment...

@robthemac, more grist for your mill...? Not quite the discrepancy in cost-of-dacs that we're looking at, but interesting, nonetheless...

Nov 6, 2017 at 8:45 PM Post #34,314 of 42,765

Interesting post, ive done this blind AB switching many times and i could detect no differences either, its when i did 2 weeks solely with one dac then 2 weeks with another. i did not need to "look" for the differences then they just stood out all by themselves and thats when i started to really notice the differences.

Its similar to when i have purchased shiny new expensive headphones, at first i think woah how dissapointing a 10% improvement maybe for A LOT more money, then i go back to the old set after a month and i couldnt stand the poor sound of my previous ones.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2017 at 9:00 PM Post #34,315 of 42,765
Thanks @escknx for this interesting experiment...

@robthemac, more grist for your mill...? Not quite the discrepancy in cost-of-dacs that we're looking at, but interesting, nonetheless...

Haha very interesting. Can't wait to test it.

Nov 6, 2017 at 9:29 PM Post #34,316 of 42,765
Instead of quick swapping it’s better to spend at least a week with mojo and nothing else then go back to other sources and the change is far greater, I don’t know how it works or why but I trust my ears so when going back to a phone or something for example it sounds flat and dull. With mojo I got more layers in the bass, more detail, better depth and much better timbre.

Numbers and measurements are only there to give us an idea of what we might hear. If the sound is pleasant, don't let people try and convince you that you're wrong because of this or that.

Nov 6, 2017 at 10:13 PM Post #34,317 of 42,765
i just bought a brandnew chord mojo, i started using it right after i opened the box. last for 3-5 hrs and shuts down. so i charged it and saw the led indicator blue/white(not really sure, didnt pay attention ;d) then after a few hrs of charging(approx 2-3hrs)i started using it again and shuts down after a few hrs(3-4hrs). right now im charging it and ever since i plugged it in the led indicator shows blue/white(again im not sure if its blue or white(looking closely it looks white/but the reflection is blue). i havent seen the led indicator change ever since. should i expect the led to change color? or its permanent white/blue? how can i really know if its fully charged? ive seen the manual it says that the led indicator should turn of if fully charged, while some threads saying i should be seeing blue(not sure if i should be seeing the blue while charging or while in use). not sure if mine is faulty or fake or thats just how it shld be. just wanna clarify so ill know if i shld return it. fast response would be awesome since the shop that ive bought from offers a limited time of replacing the unit incase if the product is faulty. thanks
It turns off after being fully charged. I bought it brand new and the first charge only took 5 hours or so, but the second charge almost took like 8 hours, and the third charge was also a bit longer than usual. Afterwards the charge time gets back to normal.

Nov 7, 2017 at 1:52 AM Post #34,318 of 42,765
Has anyone ever got DSD 128 to play without getting cutouts?

For the longest time I thought it was my iPhone 6 not being fast enough to feed it the file. Since I've upgraded to the iPhone X, it still won't play without cutting out. With my Hugo 2 however it plays flawlessly, which leads me to believe the Mojo just doesn't support higher than DSD 64.

Nov 7, 2017 at 2:59 AM Post #34,319 of 42,765
Has anyone ever got DSD 128 to play without getting cutouts?

For the longest time I thought it was my iPhone 6 not being fast enough to feed it the file. Since I've upgraded to the iPhone X, it still won't play without cutting out. With my Hugo 2 however it plays flawlessly, which leads me to believe the Mojo just doesn't support higher than DSD 64.

I always get spikes with dsd128 on the phone, but works well in my stereo. Plugged to the stereo, I can't do dsd256 at all but I've seen some folks reporting that they were able to do it. BEWARE that in my setup I've got very nasty pops When trying dsd256, so try it at low volumes first.

Nov 7, 2017 at 12:08 PM Post #34,320 of 42,765
Instead of quick swapping it’s better to spend at least a week with mojo and nothing else then go back to other sources and the change is far greater, I don’t know how it works or why but I trust my ears so when going back to a phone or something for example it sounds flat and dull. With mojo I got more layers in the bass, more detail, better depth and much better timbre.
Numbers and measurements are only there to give us an idea of what we might hear. If the sound is pleasant, don't let people try and convince you that you're wrong because of this or that.
The point is when I try to fast switch from phone to Mojo I hear the difference immediately, cell phones as well as PC's and laptop's outputs dont provide that power control over the headphones as real nice amps.

Its not about measurements, its about actual hearing. When I blindly compare 4 high quality DACs(Mojo, Hugo, 9018, 9038) and I can not spot the moment when transition between them occurred, that brings me to conclusion that all these DACs are recovering that analog signal perfectly and any 'thoughts' about one is being better that the other are psychologically motivated and have nothing to do with hearing.
They just build analog signal right, without adding any filters, effects, up/downsamplings.
In the other hand I can spot the difference immediately between 2 batches of X00, one from 2xxx and another 5xxx series. They are different, no doubts about that, I can hear it blindly side by side.
I also can hear the difference between TI PCM5102A DAC and ES9080 or Chord's. But nothing between Chord and ES9018.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back