Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Feb 12, 2017 at 1:20 PM Post #30,256 of 42,765

Oh, I meant literally falling apart. The hinges are barely there anymore so I have to rest the screen against something behind it. Some of the keys don't work anymore so I have to use an external keyboard sometimes. And so on. Ironically, I have no fan issues anymore. The fan used to go crazy and it would overheat too easily. Now the fan seems to be broken since I never hear it anymore, yet it rarely overheats. Go figure. As far as performance goes, I'm happy enough with it.

Dang. Well at least that won't happen on my surface pro 3 that I bought in Oct 2014 since the peripherals are separate from the body. I just use it as a desktop these days though.

Feb 12, 2017 at 1:21 PM Post #30,257 of 42,765

Oh, I meant literally falling apart. The hinges are barely there anymore so I have to rest the screen against something behind it. Some of the keys don't work anymore so I have to use an external keyboard sometimes. And so on. Ironically, I have no fan issues anymore. The fan used to go crazy and it would overheat too easily. Now the fan seems to be broken since I never hear it anymore, yet it rarely overheats. Go figure. As far as performance goes, I'm happy enough with it.

Oh, I agree with you. We had her M11x rebuilt twice under warranty. The weakest part is the LCD hinge design.

Feb 12, 2017 at 1:25 PM Post #30,258 of 42,765
I returned to this this morning after it had been off 10hrs and was done charging.

As it is fully charged, I disconnected the charger before performing your test. When I did, it does work as designed. Volume orbs are the 3V violet we expect.

I plugged the charger backin to the Mojo and re-performed the test. It once again returns to red orbs, not the 3V level violet. :/ I did it twice.

Disconnect power and re-re-retest ... and line level is engaged. Volume orbs are violet.

Hopefully is addressed if I update firmware... may instead return it to the vendor I bought it from at CanJam.

Thank again for your time testing yours.

That is weird. Would you mind recording this phenomenon so we could all see? I just tested my Mojo with and without the charger plugged in and it is violet as it should be. 

Feb 12, 2017 at 1:29 PM Post #30,259 of 42,765
That is weird. Would you mind recording this phenomenon so we could all see? I just tested my Mojo with and without the charger plugged in and it is violet as it should be. 

Indeed. I Was thinking of doing that too. Perhaps tonight. I will have to run shortly.

I am using a 2.1 amp capable charger here. I don't have a 1 amp one here but I do where I'll be later. My curiosity is piqued as to whether that could be at fault.

Feb 12, 2017 at 1:37 PM Post #30,260 of 42,765
  I observed just now that this thread has been going since 2015, has had over 30'000 posts and over 2.5 million views.
Astonishing, especially as I would imagine most urgent questions and quality reviews were all done in the first few months of release!
Quite a testament to the product and Chord's input on here
beerchug.gif

This number of posts, containing so much user feedback, has enabled a comprehensive knowledge base to the constructed in post #3. It is true that many urgent questions were answered during the early months, many related to the best cables to buy, or how to set up your phone to output bitperfect signals to mojo. However over time new questions emerge, such as currently how to feed MQA to the Mojo, and I expect that in the next few months there will be a lot of new questions related to the best apps to control the Poly.

This thread also benefits from the fact that it is followed by  @Mojo ideas and @Rob Watts who try and provide product feedback/support when appropriate.

Many posters have been here since the early days, so the thread does also serve a semi-social function as well.

Feb 12, 2017 at 1:42 PM Post #30,261 of 42,765
Thanks heaps Rob. What's the formula to work out 1db down = max Vrms ?

Also I've read all the info about the reasons Toslink may have an advantage over the USB and SPDIF coax inputs for the Mojo (like galvanic isolation).

But in terms of the simplest path from input to the Mojo's FPGA, does the Toslink have the most direct path of all the Mojo's inputs, i.e. just wire from the Toslink connector to the FPGA?

Love the technology packed into this little thing. A true classic.

This should help: http://www.head-fi.org/t/784602/chord-mojo-dac-amp-faq-in-3rd-post/25770#post_13008622

Hi thanks, I had seen that but that's related to headphones specifically. I was asking Rob about using it as a Dac only, in line out mode.

So the formula that tells you X clicks down from preset 3 Vrms gives you max Y Vrms - only as line level out mode.

Cheers

Sent from my Blackberry DTEK50 using Tapatalk

Feb 12, 2017 at 2:23 PM Post #30,262 of 42,765
Hi thanks, I had seen that but that's related to headphones specifically. I was asking Rob about using it as a Dac only, in line out mode.

So the formula that tells you X clicks down from preset 3 Vrms gives you max Y Vrms - only as line level out mode.

Cheers

Why would it make any difference if you connect headphones or a pre-amp?

If the spreadsheet calculates the output voltage, then surely that voltage is the same, regardless of whether you connect to headphones or a pre-amp.

Feb 12, 2017 at 3:15 PM Post #30,263 of 42,765

Cheers

'Line level out mode' is nothing more than a volume preset. Nothing is internally changed and no seperate headphone amp is bypassed. There is none. The Mojo outputs 100% of the time essentially through the DAC's line out. You can read the specifics in the third post of the thread.

Feb 12, 2017 at 3:48 PM Post #30,264 of 42,765
Alright, Chord freaks: I added a Head Gear page for the Hugo 2.

http://www.head-fi.org/products/chord-hugo-2

This is where you can add it to your lists (like clicking the Want It button for now) and publish reviews later.

Feb 12, 2017 at 4:44 PM Post #30,265 of 42,765
  Why would it make any difference if you connect headphones or a pre-amp?

If the spreadsheet calculates the output voltage, then surely that voltage is the same, regardless of whether you connect to headphones or a pre-amp.

Hi,.

I think my question has caused confusion (my fault).

I want to know, for number of clicks below 3  Vrms line out preset, what is the max output voltage.

0 clicks down = 3 Vrms
1 click down = 2.67 Vrms output voltage (which Rob just mentioned. I hadn't seen this in the 3rd post?)
2 clicks down = 2.38 Vrms out voltage
3 clicks down = 2.1 Vrms (mentioned a couple times in this thread)
4 clicks down = 1.9 Vrms mentioned plenty of times in this thread of course

Is there a table that shows all the output voltages for 5 clicks down, 6 clicks down etc etc, all the way to 68 clicks down?

I understand a click down is 1db down but how does that correlate to the output voltages? Is there a formula or have I missed this table in the 3rd post? The spreadsheet I am looking at doesn't have this.

Many thanks in advance :)

Feb 12, 2017 at 5:17 PM Post #30,267 of 42,765
  I'm lost on what the need is for changing the voltages as Line-Out mean. Do certain Amps/Pre-Amps need certain voltages to operate properly? Sorry for the newb question.

Hi, good question, yes some preamps can go into distortion if voltage coming in is too high.

I'm waiting for the manufacturer to get back to me for the recommended input voltage for my integrated (PrimaLuna Dialogue Prem HP).

But in parallel I was wanting to know the various output voltages for the Mojo so I can get it in the range, when PrimaLuna get back to me.

Having said that, 4 clicks down is already below the common 2Vrms that's been normal for a long time with CD players and other transports.

But I was still interested, just out of curiosity, what are the various output voltages even lower than 4 clicks down. The formula or even a table if there is one.

Apologies if this table exists and I've missed it :frowning2:

I doubt even the 3V rms will be an issue for my preamp but it's always good to check with your manufacturer. There may be a recommended range. No harm done in check.

Did I mention this Mojo is insane value for money as a Dac ? :)

Feb 12, 2017 at 6:03 PM Post #30,268 of 42,765
I'm lost on what the need is for changing the voltages as Line-Out mean. Do certain Amps/Pre-Amps need certain voltages to operate properly? Sorry for the newb question.

Yes, as was just mentioned some amps can't handle a 3Vrms input.

In fact, recently in the Abyss thread a user thought his headphones were faulty when in fact the amp was clipping with Mojo's 3Vrms line level volume preset. The solution was to lower the Mojo 4 clicks to 1.9Vrms instead of returning the headphones.

As always, take caution as this will now remember the volume setting and your sensitive headphones/IEMs, and your ears, will not appreciate it if you plug them directly to the Mojo with these high volume settings.

Feb 12, 2017 at 6:32 PM Post #30,269 of 42,765
@m80 I've had 2 different 'newer coded version' Mojos, and they both do the same as yours, i.e. won't reset to 3v line level if charger cable is plugged in.

Assuming my 2 units were are typical (whilst they were both newer coded types, the serials were pretty far apart), Something is definitely different in the power management of the newer units:

1. They hiss if left plugged in.
2. They auto power off if you're connected via Optical (but not USB).
3. They won't reset to line level if charger is plugged in.

Feb 12, 2017 at 7:03 PM Post #30,270 of 42,765

Users who are viewing this thread

Back