Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jan 15, 2017 at 12:10 AM Post #29,191 of 42,765
Jan 15, 2017 at 1:30 AM Post #29,192 of 42,765
@NaiveSound, just checked ifi iematch. that penon audio impedance adapter is lot simpler and does not have wire. it simply has resistance in the path of both the channels. there is no reason the addition of a simple resistance should effect the sound quality.

Jan 15, 2017 at 1:32 AM Post #29,193 of 42,765
@NaiveSound, just checked ifi iematch. that penon audio impedance adapter is lot simpler and does not have wire. it simply has resistance in the path of both the channels. there is no reason the addition of a simple resistance should effect the sound quality.

This is really interesting, thank you, can you please give us a link?

Jan 15, 2017 at 2:07 AM Post #29,196 of 42,765
depends upon how many a times the output voltage you want to increase. say iem has impedance of 25 ohms . you add 75 ohm adapter , the total ohms seen by mojo will be 100ohm, so that will require mojo's output to increase to 4 times to get same sound output from iem. although these are only theoretical calculations still you can see that this way it allows mojo to operate at higher output levels hence reduction in hissing.

Jan 15, 2017 at 3:50 AM Post #29,199 of 42,765

Uh... it absolutely will. It's like adding output impedance to your amp. If you have a multi-way BA with a curvy impedance curve adding a resistance in series will absolutely change the response, and quite drastically so.

Jan 15, 2017 at 4:10 AM Post #29,201 of 42,765
Yes, surely it will affect the damping factor, and consequently the reproduction of transients.

... and change the frequency response quite dramatically for certain cases. I did a simulation that showed the SE846 would loose 7dB of high frequency output with a 10Ohm output impedance... There are even worse offenders. 

Trust me, you don't want to just add a resistor in series. You want a voltage divider circuit. The only commercial one I know is the iEMatch. 

http://ifi-audio.com/portfolio-view/accessory-iematch/ 

Jan 15, 2017 at 4:26 AM Post #29,202 of 42,765
Jan 15, 2017 at 5:32 AM Post #29,203 of 42,765

With my SE846's, when I was using a noisy phone source, I imported a (audio rated) 75 Ohm impedance adapter from Japan which was one recommended on Head-fi (talking over 3 years ago now).

The Shure's come with the volume type adapter to alter the impedance but was told you needed a higher quality one to not get reduction in sound quality. It did work but I still always thought it dulled the highlights of the music compared to without. I still have it but now days just ensure I get a source with really low noise such as  iPhones, Galaxy S6/S7, Dragonfly Red, Mojo. I'd say you shouldn't need more that a 75 Ohm.  

Jan 15, 2017 at 5:40 AM Post #29,204 of 42,765
I recently got this one, and surprisingly, it works perfectly with my iPhone 7 Plus: 

http://amzn.to/2ilm2Q1

It's a nice slim form factor too. 

Thanks. I'm in the UK and find that this cable isn't available on Amazon UK.

Has anyone tried a lightning cable extender? I already have the bulky USB3 CCK since the more discrete CCK wasn't compatible with the now sold DFR. Thinking that an extender cable connected to the CCK would allow me to keep the bulk of the CCK with the Mojo in jacket pocket whilst the iPhone could be connected to the less bulky extender cable in my trouser pocket.

Jan 15, 2017 at 6:05 AM Post #29,205 of 42,765
Is the Zee's Music micro usb to lightning cable still working under ios10?
http://m.ebay.com/itm/Interconnect-Cable-iPhone-6-SE-iPad-Lightning-to-Chord-Mojo-Hugo-AMD-Micro-USB-/272513346488

Users who are viewing this thread

Back