Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jan 13, 2017 at 7:01 PM Post #29,116 of 42,765

Quote:

the more i read about it the more i realise im really not interested in this MQA business, CD quality sounds incredible through chord dacs & theres the fact after many listening comparisons i cant hear the difference between 16/44 and 24/192 or upwards.

i have all the albums i want on cd 400+ and im not keen on streaming "renting"

but i suppose its exciting for some people i just dont see the appeal 
beerchug.gif

easy to see the appeal. kindly have a read.

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2015/06/tidal-hifi-puts-a-cd-store-in-your-house/

[size=24.57px]Tidal Hifi puts a CD store in your house[/size]

Darko looks at value and cost comparison against his own cd stash.
he once had a collection of some 5000 cds...
cost @ average $10/cd = $50k (5000 x $10/cd)... even at $25k that is alot. 
then tabulate the additional expenses of upgrading to new 'remasters' etc as they come out.
 and his point: how many did he truly listen to of that large collection?
also no storage space needed.
and best of all: the advantage of being able to discover new music with access to millions of albums/artists.

like many, I do both
(have Tidal and also buy...but now less frequently buy).

and yes, it's Friday, so very much Cheers!
beerchug.gif

Jan 13, 2017 at 7:06 PM Post #29,117 of 42,765
interesting is Linn's opposition to MQA (below) ...Darko says it's position is similar to that of Schiit.
Why MQA looks bad for music http://forums.linn.co.uk/bb/showthread.php?tid=35624
still so early...guess we'll find out more as the yr unfolds.

Interesting article with regards to the potential impact to the music industry. My understanding of the initial benefit of MQA was smaller file size for streaming which allowed those who wanted to stream high resolution music to do so. How well it is accepted will depend on a number of factors most likely led by cost and the desire to stream high resolution music. I don't really see it forcing out the existing options and if it creates a third pricing level its success will be dependent on the end user's perception of its value. I guess only time will tell, but for now, streaming Tidal Master tracks to my Mojo sounds really good to me.

Jan 13, 2017 at 8:31 PM Post #29,118 of 42,765
Interesting article with regards to the potential impact to the music industry. My understanding of the initial benefit of MQA was smaller file size for streaming which allowed those who wanted to stream high resolution music to do so. How well it is accepted will depend on a number of factors most likely led by cost and the desire to stream high resolution music. I don't really see it forcing out the existing options and if it creates a third pricing level its success will be dependent on the end user's perception of its value. I guess only time will tell, but for now, streaming Tidal Master tracks to my Mojo sounds really good to me.

Same here.

Jan 13, 2017 at 11:51 PM Post #29,121 of 42,765
Do you guys think half of mojo owners use an amp with it? This whole amp + Mojo got me curious, but I have no store nearby to have a listen, I wonder about you guys...

​Mojo is quite powerful. I have a LCD-4 - no problems. You don't need another amp when you have your mojo :)

Jan 13, 2017 at 11:54 PM Post #29,122 of 42,765
Just discovered that with hi-res files, inserting 500 milliseconds (half a second) of silence before manually selected tracks in foobar2000 is insufficient. Part of the beginning is still cut off. Looks like 800 milliseconds works.

Jan 14, 2017 at 12:34 AM Post #29,123 of 42,765
Just discovered that with hi-res files, inserting 500 milliseconds (half a second) of silence before manually selected tracks in foobar2000 is insufficient. Part of the beginning is still cut off. Looks like 800 milliseconds works.

How does 1 do that, Insert myself in foobar

Jan 14, 2017 at 12:45 AM Post #29,124 of 42,765
How does 1 do that, Insert myself in foobar

You want to insert yourself into a music player? Man, not even I ever thought of that!
biggrin.gif
tongue_smile.gif

I touched upon it in a previous post, but will give you a brief tutorial here.

http://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_dsp_silence

Click Download on that page and download it to your desktop. Open foobar2000. Click File, Preferences, Components, Install... Locate the file and double-click it. Click Apply, then OK. The program will restart. Click File, Preferences, DSP Manager. On the right, click Affix silence, then the left arrow. Click Affix silence on the left, then Configure selected. In the left field, type in 800. Then click OK and OK again. You're done.
normal_smile .gif

P.S. I grew up in Virginia!

Jan 14, 2017 at 5:25 AM Post #29,125 of 42,765
quick question...will the Fiio L19 Lightning cable work between the iPhone 6 and the Mojo?

Any other alternatives?

Jan 14, 2017 at 5:45 AM Post #29,126 of 42,765
  quick question...will the Fiio L19 Lightning cable work between the iPhone 6 and the Mojo?

Any other alternatives?

@Mython has tried to capture all the combined user experience in post #3.

This is the section relating to cables and idevices  http://Connecting Mojo to iDevices (Click to show)

Some cables have proved reliable, others work intermittantly, and the ones that don't work have been excluded.
A word of caution - many cables seem to be at the mercy of Apple OS updates - they stop working if a beta version update is downloaded, and start working again when the full release update is installed. 

Hope this helps.

Jan 14, 2017 at 5:46 AM Post #29,127 of 42,765
Anyway, Mojo has about twice as much as Hugo's 26000. Info conveniently gathered by Mython here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/784602/chord-mojo-dac-amp-faq-in-3rd-post/27915#post_13123074

I never got a straight answer, but the trail of clues led me to believe that they both implement the same filter, but structured differently to leverage resource sharing (in Hugo's case) or power savings (with a lower clock rate, in Mojo's case).

So both still have 52k coefficients (seems unnecesary, but who am I to question), but Hugo is able time multiplex two sets of 26k coefficients into shared multipliers... In order to keep up with the input data rate to this filter, you would need to clock this logic at twice the speed... otherwise you lose data.

Similarly, in Mojo, the 52k coefficients are processed using twice as many multipliers as Hugo, eliminating the need to run the clock twice as fast. You still could, of course, but there would be one clock cycle between valid data into the filter... Instead of having that idle time, you can reduce the clock rate so you're still processing data every clock cycle and use less power by clocking the data at a slower rate. It's a tradeoff of area for power utilization.

Of course in both cases some serialization is necessary, since even 26k multipliers is more than any current FPGA can support, and the corresponding adder tree would require an excessive number of pipeline stages.

Jan 14, 2017 at 5:58 AM Post #29,128 of 42,765

@Mython has tried to capture all the combined user experience in post #3.

This is the section relating to cables and idevices  http://Connecting Mojo to iDevices (Click to show)

Some cables have proved reliable, others work intermittantly, and the ones that don't work have been excluded.
A word of caution - many cables seem to be at the mercy of Apple OS updates - they stop working if a beta version update is downloaded, and start working again when the full release update is installed. 

Hope this helps.

Thank you kind sir

Jan 14, 2017 at 7:41 AM Post #29,129 of 42,765
Jan 14, 2017 at 7:50 AM Post #29,130 of 42,765
I have the HEK 1000 and don't beleive the Mojo can drive these planars loud and impactful enough to appreciate their true potential. Furthermore, for portable use need to stack with a storage device to feed it the flax audio files for playback and don't want to use my iPhone with limited memory. So is the Astell&Kern AK380 Copper + AMP // High Resolution Music Player w/ AMP at a rediculous price of $4,999.00 my only option for traveling with my HEL 1000???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back